• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Major late season winter storm

This system according to the GFS and GGEM for the last two days have been very impressive for MN.  At one time the GEM and Euro seemed to suffer from convective feedback with huge QPF's  well south of MN, I figured that suppressed solution was wrong, and once they corrected themselves it wound bring heavy snow to the area south of MSP, and this idea has been portrayed well by the Euro. But  the GFS and the Gem have been very consistent in clocking central and western MN.  The Euro has been horrible up here this winter season, and it was especially bad with the last major snowstorm that impacted SE MN, as well as the Indy storm the last week of March.  The GGEM had both of those systems right.  I rode the GGEM heavily in OV thread with the Indy storm as that area was in the baroclinic zone, and ever since than I have thought, if Indy why not MSP a couple of weeks later?  I'm almost ready to throw the ECMWF under the bus.......but I will wait till the 04/07 12z runs of the model suites before I pull the trigger.

This system according to the GFS and GGEM for the last two days have been very impressive for MN.  At one time the GEM and Euro seemed to suffer from convective feedback with huge QPF's  well south of MN, I figured that suppressed solution was wrong, and once they corrected themselves it wound bring heavy snow to the area south of MSP, and this idea has been portrayed well by the Euro. But  the GFS and the Gem have been very consistent in clocking central and western MN.  The Euro has been horrible up here this winter season, and it was especially bad with the last major snowstorm that impacted SE MN, as well as the Indy storm the last week of March.  The GGEM had both of those systems right.  I rode the GGEM heavily in OV thread with the Indy storm as that area was in the baroclinic zone, and ever since than I have thought, if Indy why not MSP a couple of weeks later?  I'm almost ready to throw the ECMWF under the bus.......but I will wait till the 04/07 12z runs of the model suites before I pull the trigger.

I agree on the euro being horrible for around here but some praise it no matter what. I see the 0z ukie is further nw at 72 & 96 than the GFS. I wouldn't be surprised if the snow event ends up further nw but se of the NAM than whats progged now.

I agree on the euro being horrible for around here but some praise it no matter what. I see the 0z ukie is further nw at 72 & 96 than the GFS. I wouldn't be surprised if the snow event ends up further nw but se of the NAM than whats progged now.

I could see that happening as well.  

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTH PLATTE NE

335 PM CDT SUN APR 7 2013

...SIGNIFICANT LATE SEASON WINTER STORM TO HIT WESTERN NEBRASKA...

.HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW IS EXPECTED FOR PORTIONS OF WESTERN

AND NORTH CENTRAL NEBRASKA FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY MORNING. RAIN WILL SWITCH OVER TO SNOW AND EXTEND EAST

TO NEAR A VALENTINE THROUGH OGALLALA LINE LATE MONDAY NIGHT.

FREEZIGN RAIN AND SLEET WILL TRANSITION TO SNOW TUESDAY MORNING FOR

COUNTIES TO THE EAST. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING

ARE LIKELY TO RANGE FROM 8 TO 12 INCHES AND LOCALLY HIGHER WEST OF

A VALENTINE THROUGH OSHKOSH LINE AND 5 TO 10 INCHES EAST OF THIS

LINE. IN ADDITION...STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH

GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL LIKELY CAUSE BLOWING SNOW WHICH COULD LEAD TO

VERY LOW VISIBILITIES...ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS.

SHERIDAN-EASTERN CHERRY-GARDEN-GRANT-DEUEL-WESTERN CHERRY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GORDON...RUSHVILLE...VALENTINE...

OSHKOSH...HYANNIS...CHAPPELL...BIG SPRINGS...CODY...MERRIMAN...

KILGORE

335 PM CDT SUN APR 7 2013 /235 PM MDT SUN APR 7 2013/

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT

THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN FALLING LATE MONDAY EVENING AND WILL

CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE.

HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS NEAR 12 INCHES OR LOCALLY HIGHER FOR

SHERIDAN AND NORTHWEST CHERRY COUNTY.

* WIND...NORTHERLY WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH ARE

EXPECTED LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW IS LIKELY TO IMPACT TRAVEL

WITH VISIBILITIES AS LOW AS A QUARTER MILE POSSIBLE AT TIMES...

ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS.

GFS finally with the rest of the model guidance reguarding the track/strength of the storm...i assume MPX will issue some type of headline for their w cwa with the afternoon package today.

Waiting for the Euro and GEM to come in, but records could certainly fall if the stars continue to line up

MPX pulling the trigger of issuing a wsw including MSP

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN
339 PM CDT MON APR 8 2013

...A LATE SEASON WINTER STORM TO AFFECT WEST AND CENTRAL MINNESOTA
FROM TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY

.SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 INCHES OR GREATER ARE POSSIBLE
ACROSS MUCH OF WEST CENTRAL AND CENTRAL MINNESOTA FROM EARLY
TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING. THE PRECIPITATION IS
EXPECTED TO BEGIN AS A WINTRY MIX OF SLEET AND SNOW LATE TONIGHT
ACROSS WEST CENTRAL MINNESOTA...AND EXPAND EASTWARD THROUGHOUT THE
DAY TUESDAY...REACHING EAST CENTRAL MINNESOTA BY TUESDAY EVENING.
WHILE SNOW WILL BE THE PRIMARY PRECIPITATION TYPE ACROSS FAR WEST
CENTRAL MINNESOTA NEAR ALEXANDRIA AND MORRIS...LOCATIONS TO THE
SOUTH AND EAST WILL LIKELY ENDURE A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...AND
FREEZING RAIN ON TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY. AS COLDER AIR WORKS
INTO THE AREA WITH THE ARRIVAL OF THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM...THE
MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO SNOW...WITH ALL AREAS SEEING
ACCUMULATING SNOW ON WEDNESDAY EVENING INTO THURSDAY MORNING.

MNZ041>043-047>050-054>058-064-065-073-090445-
/O.NEW.KMPX.WS.A.0008.130409T0800Z-130411T1800Z/
DOUGLAS-TODD-MORRISON-STEVENS-POPE-STEARNS-BENTON-LAC QUI PARLE-
SWIFT-CHIPPEWA-KANDIYOHI-MEEKER-YELLOW MEDICINE-RENVILLE-REDWOOD-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALEXANDRIA...LONG PRAIRIE...
LITTLE FALLS...MORRIS...GLENWOOD...ST. CLOUD...FOLEY...MADISON...
BENSON...MONTEVIDEO...WILLMAR...LITCHFIELD...GRANITE FALLS...
OLIVIA...REDWOOD FALLS
339 PM CDT MON APR 8 2013

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM CDT TUESDAY THROUGH
THURSDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN HAS ISSUED
A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM CDT TUESDAY
THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* TIMING: PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN LATE TONIGHT...AND CONTINUE
  THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING.

* MAIN IMPACT: SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF SIX INCHES OR GREATER.

* OTHER IMPACTS: MIXED PRECIPITATION...INCLUDING SLEET AND
  FREEZING RAIN...ON TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT.

In Brookings, SD where we're at the cutoff line.. some models say 6 inches, other suggest more, all models say around .25 an inch of freezing rain tonight. I'd love to see a good ice or snow event, hopefully not a bunch of sleet. I could get on the interstate and drive north 50 miles if I wanted to definitely see all snow, close to a foot.

that's certainly the most promising model I've seen so far. :)   GFS has been favoring this area more than NAM which has it north. NOAA is siding with NAM right now. Any movement of the storm track will affect snowfall in my county.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/?n=SDsnowfall

32.2 degrees and falling... good ice storms don't start to happen until about 29 but making good progress for it only being 8PM CST. Should be down to 29 within the next couple of hours looking at nearby temps. So either lots of snow, a good ice storm, or both... gotta be optimistic.

MPX upgraded to a warning from St. Cloud - Redwood Falls on west.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN910 PM CDT MON APR 8 2013...A LATE SEASON WINTER STORM TO AFFECT WEST AND CENTRALMINNESOTA FROM TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY....A SINGLE STORM SYSTEM WILL PRODUCE A COUPLE ROUNDS OF WINTRYPRECIPITATION FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY. SNOWFALLACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS MUCH OF WESTCENTRAL MINNESOTA FROM EARLY TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY. SLEETOR RAIN WILL ALSO MIX IN AT TIMES THROUGH THURSDAY.THE WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION WILL EXPAND EASTWARD LATETUESDAY...REACHING EAST CENTRAL MINNESOTA BY TUESDAY NIGHT. WHILESNOW WILL BE THE PRIMARY PRECIPITATION TYPE ACROSS FAR WESTCENTRAL MINNESOTA...LOCATIONS TO THE SOUTH AND EAST WILL LIKELYENDURE A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET... AND RAIN. EVENTUALLY NEARLY ALL OFCENTRAL MINNESOTA CAN EXPECT A CHANGE OVER TO SNOW BY WEDNESDAYNIGHT. THIS COULD LEAD TO SEVERAL INCHES OF SLUSHY SNOW ACROSSEAST CENTRAL MINNESOTA BY THE TIME THE SNOW DIMINISHES ONTHURSDAY.MNZ047>049-054>058-064-065-073-091015-/O.UPG.KMPX.WS.A.0008.130409T0800Z-130411T1800Z//O.NEW.KMPX.WS.W.0007.130409T0900Z-130411T1800Z/STEVENS-POPE-STEARNS-LAC QUI PARLE-SWIFT-CHIPPEWA-KANDIYOHI-MEEKER-YELLOW MEDICINE-RENVILLE-REDWOOD-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MORRIS...GLENWOOD...ST. CLOUD...MADISON...BENSON...MONTEVIDEO...WILLMAR...LITCHFIELD...GRANITE FALLS...OLIVIA...REDWOOD FALLS910 PM CDT MON APR 8 2013...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TUESDAY TO 1 PM CDTTHURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN HAS ISSUEDA WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND SLEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4AM TUESDAY TO 1 PM CDT THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOLONGER IN EFFECT.* TIMING: SNOW AND SLEET WILL BEGIN EARLY TUESDAY MORNING AND  CONTINUE THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING.* MAIN IMPACT: TWO DAY SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES.

Sorry I haven't been active folks. Glad to see the thread though. I have had my own winter storm issues here. Anyways, what a mess of a storm. Definitely one of the more impressive arctic fronts of all winter. I don't see it in the above warning, but the possibility exists for some substantial freezing rain across portions of central MN.

0z NAM giving 3.00+ total qpf in parts of SD into w MN. :popcorn:

Obviously that is probably overdone overall, but there will be quite a bit of precip with this system. I can guarantee this...the models will struggle with this storm for two reasons. The multiple low amplitude wave ejections interacting with the front...and the substantial moist convection across the warm sector will undoubtedly play a role in how the eventual precipitation distribution plays out.

Obviously that is probably overdone overall, but there will be quite a bit of precip with this system. I can guarantee this...the models will struggle with this storm for two reasons. The multiple low amplitude wave ejections interacting with the front...and the substantial moist convection across the warm sector will undoubtedly play a role in how the eventual precipitation distribution plays out.

Yeah, overdone for sure...i'm hoping for atleast 5" for snow to break 50" for the season or near normal.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SIOUX FALLS SD

1035 AM CDT TUE APR 9 2013

...TIME...  ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...

...DATE...  ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0940 AM     SLEET            HOWARD                  44.01N 97.52W

04/09/2013  M2.2 INCH        MINER              SD   COOP OBSERVER

1045 AM     ICE STORM        6 NE AVON               43.07N 97.98W

04/09/2013  E0.7 INCH        BON HOMME          SD   PUBLIC

TREES, POWER LINES AND OTHER EXPOSED

SURFACES ARE ICE COVERED.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ABERDEEN SD

1035 AM CDT TUE APR 09 2013

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...

..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1034 AM     HEAVY SNOW       3 NNE PIERRE            44.41N 100.30W

04/09/2013  E6.0 INCH        HUGHES             SD   COCORAHS

Archived