• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Skywarn Spotter Training: Spring 2013

Quincy

It's that time again as Skywarn Spotter training classes have been scheduled for Spring 2013 across the region. If you're not aware of the program, it's a fun and easy way to get involved with reporting severe weather to the National Weather Service. If you've done it in the past and it's been a while, it's always good to attend a "refresher" class every few years.

Here are the dates, times and locations of classes around southern New England:

Wed. May 01: Greenfield, Mass. 6:30 p.m. Greenfield Transportation Center, 12 Olive Street. 
Thu. May 02: Walpole, Mass. 7:00 p.m. Walpole Public Library, 147 School Street.
Sat. May 04: Townsend, Mass. 11:00 a.m. Townsend Meeting Hall, 12 Dudley Road.
Thu. May 09: Heath, Mass. 6:30 p.m. Heath Community Center.
Thu: May 16: Marlborough, Conn. 7:00 p.m. Marlborough Fire Dept., 200 West Road.
Tue. May 21: Northbridge, Mass. Alternatives Traning & Conf. Center, 50 Douglas Road.
Mon. Jun 17: Taunton, Mass. Morton Hospital and Medican Center, 88 Washington Street.

More information:
From NWS Taunton, Mass.
From NWS Upton, N.Y.

I plan on getting a group of people together to attend the May 16th class in Marlborough, Conn.

Its a great learning experience, Especially on the severe aspects, I would attend a refresher, But i am up here in Maine and will have to wait to see when the next classes are available up here............. :)

I talked with a "Mike" from the gray NWS office, he said there is on on April 15th at the Gorham Rec Department. Time TBD

• 1 month later...

Nope, not this one. Bill will be starting shortly!! Enjoy!!

--Turtle

P.S. That's in Marlborough, CT, folks!

Currently on break, but this class is fantastic. The gentleman presenting from the NWS is doing a tremendous job. Definitely doing this again next year. Very enjoyable.

There was a solid turnout last night. The class was probably the longest one I've attended, but it seemed to have a lot more detailed information on severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. Very good for those are who weather hobbyists and a refresher for some of the "veterans".

Currently on break, but this class is fantastic. The gentleman presenting from the NWS is doing a tremendous job. Definitely doing this again next year. Very enjoyable.

Bill Babcock (known as BillB here on the boards) is the office's SKYWARN focal point, and has done this and similar programs for many years (dating back to his days at WFO White Lake/Detroit).  Having issues with new folks in the office mainly with the length of the program, but Bill told me he got VERY POSITIVE feedback from most of you guys out there in Marlborough on the understandability of the program even with the length.  There is a new, shorter program in the works, which does have some of the info in this show but, shorter.  Interesting...

Glad those that attended enjoyed the CURRENT show!!!

--Turtle  

I wish they would schedule one closer to the Boston area. I want to go again this year. I tried doing the online recert thing but I just don't have the attention span to sit through it. The live session was a lot of fun.

Sadly, we can only have some live sessions across our County Warning Area during our SKYWARN training season due to our 24/7 work schedule (which is our first responsibility).  We did have a session in the Boston area a year or two ago (can't recall exactly when).  

Here are the sessions left to be run:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/officePrograms/skywarn/skywarnTraining.shtml

Hope you can make one of these that are relatively close to you.

--Turtle  (AKA EVT @ WFO BOX)

Sadly, we can only have some live sessions across our County Warning Area during our SKYWARN training season due to our 24/7 work schedule (which is our first responsibility).  We did have a session in the Boston area a year or two ago (can't recall exactly when).  

Here are the sessions left to be run:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/officePrograms/skywarn/skywarnTraining.shtml

Hope you can make one of these that are relatively close to you.

--Turtle  (AKA EVT @ WFO BOX)

Can I get a job with the NWS after I graduate?  :)

Bill Babcock (known as BillB here on the boards) is the office's SKYWARN focal point, and has done this and similar programs for many years (dating back to his days at WFO White Lake/Detroit). Having issues with new folks in the office mainly with the length of the program, but Bill told me he got VERY POSITIVE feedback from most of you guys out there in Marlborough on the understandability of the program even with the length. There is a new, shorter program in the works, which does have some of the info in this show but, shorter. Interesting...

Glad those that attended enjoyed the CURRENT show!!!

--Turtle

I had no issues with the length of the class. In fact, I think shortening the program would short change the spotters. We are all there for the same reason and if length of the class is an issue for people attending the class, then they shouldn't take it. I for one would not want to attend this class if it were an hour long.

I am a weather geek though and could have sat through that class for longer. I really did enjoy it. I hope it doesn't change.

P.S. thank you to all of you in the NWS office that take time out of your schedule to do this and interface with us. Much appreciated.

I wish they would schedule one closer to the Boston area. I want to go again this year. I tried doing the online recert thing but I just don't have the attention span to sit through it. The live session was a lot of fun.

Most years we aim for scheduling a dozen classes.  Our Amateur Radio coordinator, Rob Macedo, also does a few.  Even so, this is stretched over an area from the Cape and Islands to the Mohawk Trail, and from Hartford and Westerly to Boston and Manchester (the NH one).  Because of the limited number of opportunities, we place first priority on the cities/towns where there have been no recently trained spotters (5 years or more).  These locations, and a list of schedule-friendly dates, are sent out to the hams and to several in the emergency management community during November or December.  Confirmations then trickle in over the winter and early spring.

I'd love to do 25 or 30 classes each Spring.  That would make it more workable (for instance) to have a regular visit to Boston/Cambridge or at least someplace within the MBTA domain.  But that many classes would likely take me off the forecast desk for at least 1/2 of the Spring, which would put a strain on our office schedule (fair weather staffing, as is the norm at the front-line offices).  We have approached that number of classes a couple of times in the past:  we did 23 classes in 2003 (including 154 people at Worcester on June 9) and 19 classes in 2002.  But most years have a dozen in the Spring and 2 or 3 during the Fall.

So bear with us.  We hope to go everywhere over time...including to a projection screen (or white tablecloth) near you!

• 1 month later...

Archived