• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March in Michigan's Upper Peninsula- Tons of snow, Lake Superior, and more

Its been a pretty normal winter here in SE MI overall. Not the heavy snow and deep snowpack of 2010-11, but leaps and bounds better than 2011-12. No major snowstorms (biggest 6.3"), and a slow start (winter didnt kick in til just before Christmas), but overall plenty of shoveling and decent periods of snowcover. Snowfall actually a touch above normal.

But as I do every time this year, I need to close my winter with a bang with a long weekend up north. And my trip to the U.P. did not disappoint.

left to brilliant blue skies here

3474-800.jpg

lots of deep, hardpacked snow at the bridge. Pretty decent for Mackinac being outside the snowbelt

3475-800.jpg

3476-800.jpg

3477-800.jpg

3478-800.jpg

3479-800.jpg

3480-800.jpg

3481-800.jpg

3482-800.jpg

3483-800.jpg

Those are awesome pictures! I like the ones showing the snow sliding off the roofs and the tilted picnic tables one is good. 

That's a really nice snow stick you have there too!  :)

Thats my NWS "snow saber". Its what most coop observers/NWS offices use to measure snow. I get one for being a coop. Its VERY firm and well-designed (its meant to easily puncture through ice if needed). For walking in near 3 feet of cement snow, it doubled as a walking stick and depth measuring device :lol:

Thanks for the pics!  I've never been to the UP of Michigan so was wondering how it compared to Buffalo.  I have seen snowfall amounts that deep in Buffalo, but has not happened in about a decade.

The snow lasts longer, more pine trees and far less people.

Lake Effect is possible all winter too.

Archived