• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Possible major snow storm Feb 21st-22nd

Minnesota Meso

I know most posters here focus  on severe weather, but I think a major snow storm may be impacting this area. While certainly not a drought buster, could this event signal the start of a pattern change?  Often times a pattern change starts with some sort of a major storm. I can't post the Euro snowfall map from 02/14 12z, but the 02/15 0z run of the GFS is coming into agreement.  Check the snowfall totals at Instant Weather Maps through 192 hrs.  I know it's a long ways out, but I expect that MSP and FSD will not see any snow with this one.  Cold air should be available as the southern jet lifts a bit north.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a little early to base track and where the heaviest snowfall will occur based just on the euro and still being 6-7 days out...that model was lousy with last weekends storm based on low qpf and all snow event it had progged for my area. 3/4 of that event was sleet/freezing rain and higher qpf totals like most other models spit out.

Anyway, the 0z ggem is further south but a weak piece of crap but still manages to spit out some snow for msp. I do agree that Nebraska and Iowa have the best shot of the heavier snow based on all 3 major global models.

I think it's a little early to base track and where the heaviest snowfall will occur based just on the euro and still being 6-7 days out...that model was lousy with last weekends storm based on low qpf and all snow event it had progged for my area. 3/4 of that event was sleet/freezing rain and higher qpf totals like most other models spit out.

Anyway, the 0z ggem is further south but a weak piece of crap but still manages to spit out some snow for msp. I do agree that Nebraska and Iowa have the best shot of the heavier snow based on all 3 major global models.

This could be the 1st big test of the supposedly new and improved GEM

Prinsburgh:  here is a site that shows 20 members of the GFS ensembles, it only shows it for the 0 and 12z runs, but it has all the members I believe.

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_ensemble.php?lang=en&map=na&run=12&mod=ncep_geps&stn=PNM&hh=180

Thanks...looks like the 0z FIM is north of the gfs, i mention the FIM because MPX mentions that model alot.

Thanks, I missed his post, my bad.  I guess I was just wondering about the snowfall chances in KS/NE with this run of the models

Thanks...looks like the 0z FIM is north of the gfs, i mention the FIM because MPX mentions that model alot.

I here you on the FIM deal, I guess it has shown some skill, but there are some minor differences between the two different 30km runs and the two different 15km runs.  Of course I tend to lend more credence to the 15km runs

the different runs are shown in the upper left hand corner.

http://fim.noaa.gov/FIMscp/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=fim&domain=236&run_time=19+Dec+2010+-+00Z

Prinsburg: you might find this site interesting, although the blog owner set this site up to grade our local media mets  by predicting snowfall amounts at MSP, there are some of us that talk about systems as a whole.  Be aware there are a lot of Debbie Downers that frequent the site, some say they moved to MN from the NE US to experience a true MN winter, some even from the Mid Atlantic......what do you want, live out there with almost know snow? Or see our snow covered winters.  If they want 2ft snowfalls once in their lives they should have stayed out there.  If you go there just sign your post with something I will recognize.

http://www.minnesotaforecaster.com/2013/02/you-be-grader.html?showComment=1360909936277#c718351934227236781

Prinsburg: you might find this site interesting, although the blog owner set this site up to grade our local media mets  by predicting snowfall amounts at MSP, there are some of us that talk about systems as a whole.  Be aware there are a lot of Debbie Downers that frequent the site, some say they moved to MN from the NE US to experience a true MN winter, some even from the Mid Atlantic......what do you want, live out there with almost know snow? Or see our snow covered winters.  If they want 2ft snowfalls once in their lives they should have stayed out there.  If you go there just sign your post with something I will recognize.

http://www.minnesotaforecaster.com/2013/02/you-be-grader.html?showComment=1360909936277#c718351934227236781

alright, i'll take a look in the morning...thanks.

Big question is not the trough itself, oddly  enough, but the northern stream interference. 00z GEFS RMOP shows that there is still quite a bit of variability with the first trough that develops across the Great Lakes ahead of the trough ejecting into the plains. 12z CMC shows what a suppressed solution would look like.

post-999-0-33611400-1360952590_thumb.gif

Archived