Newest Member
    Toothache
Tuesday/Tuesday night

famartin

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct sub-forum for Poconos?

Drove all over the world today, but ended up intercepting the line as it approached the NJ border at 191 south of Stroudsburg. Friend abs I estimate winds gusted to 50+. He thinks 60. We were relatively high up in elevation, the peak of 191 just north of Bangor. Anyway, tree on wires there blocked the road. Observed some flooding near Mount Pocono and a couple of nasty accidents on 80, weather-related.

I have a cabin in the western Poconos. When the line hit I jumped on the web cam and cranked up the sound. It was like watching a movie as the winds began to blow all sorts of debris. I could hear the snapping of limbs and then the rain just dumped. It was the only thing I could hear though I believe there were a few crashes from the patio deck located on the floor above.

Driving around the region during nasty weather is always risky. I have been caught in flash floods several times and when that water starts running down the hills its amazing how quickly roads become impassable. IMO, the worse is always the snow squalls. They create incredibly dangerous conditions on route 80 along the pass, the section from the outlets through about 81. I have, witness terrible accidents occur when caught in these events. The October snow storm last year was really bad.

The wind obs are always a bit tricky. On one side of y property I could record 50-60 as the wind accelerates up the 500 ft slope yet the other side on the flat of the peak might only record a breeze, but you can hear the roaring of the wind as it scream above your head.

Can you tell I love the wx up there? Lol

I probably have a little less hair now as warning decisions were not easy yesterday. I thought I would at least issue one tornado warning, but nope. The lone cell in Chester into Montgomery counties was close to getting TOR warned yesterday but it just could not sustain the rotation nor have it lower with time.

I probably have a little less hair now as warning decisions were not easy yesterday. I thought I would at least issue one tornado warning, but nope. The lone cell in Chester into Montgomery counties was close to getting TOR warned yesterday but it just could not sustain the rotation nor have it lower with time.

We had that cell go overhead. There was a good bit of "spin" in the clouds overhead (looked like some rotation in the clouds as well but things were moving quickly and in a few different directions so it was hard to tell with 100% certainty) but it wasn't a clearcut funnel as it went overhead. It also weakened as it got past 422 IIRC by looking at radar.

We had that cell go overhead. There was a good bit of "spin" in the clouds overhead (looked like some rotation in the clouds as well but things were moving quickly and in a few different directions so it was hard to tell with 100% certainty) but it wasn't a clearcut funnel as it went overhead. It also weakened as it got past 422 IIRC by looking at radar.

If that's the one that crossed Route 422 at around 5:20, it looked fantastic as I approached Oaks heading westbound. Sky had "that look" about it, and there was some fast moving scud, but I couldn't detect any rotation.

Archived