• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Desert Dust Storm

A dust storm hit Palm Springs very suddenly this evening-- was mildly cool.

It was calm, hot, overcast, and unusually humid all afternoon. Around 8:45 pm, I drove to a restaurant for dinner. It was totally calm when I entered the restaurant. But about 5 minutes later, one of the workers warned another one to be careful with the door-- and I noticed patrons who'd been eating on the patio were hurrying in. I looked out toward the parking lot-- the trees were waving like crazy and the air was filled with dust.

I checked online and there was a Blowing Dust Advisory, warning that the storm would reach the City between 8 and 9 pm-- which it did.

Driving back to the house, I noticed the streets littered with palm fronds and garbage-- and it's still blowing now, with some lightning near the mountains.

I checked the airport obs (KPSP), and what's most interesting is how sudden the onset of the winds was: at 7:53 pm, winds were near calm. At 8:53 pm, they were 32 kt gusting to 41 kt.

Interesting desert weather. Kinda cool as I wait for the next 'cane to chase.

Wait til you see the rotors and mountain waves of the San Jacinto mtns! Spring time gets pretty winding too through the Banning pass b/c of the density difference caused by the moisture gradient and temp gradient through there.

Ah, interesting. I'm usually not here in the springtime, as I come here for the summer/autumn heat, mostly.

Cool to know, though.

ULL over northern Baja pulled in some monsoon moisture from the Sea of Cortez (low level) and the GOM (mid level) giving you a taste of what PHX sees often in the Summer. High based boomers with copious dust and on occasion copious moistures. These storms can be severe and even weakly tornadic at times.

Steve

ULL over northern Baja pulled in some monsoon moisture from the Sea of Cortez (low level) and the GOM (mid level) giving you a taste of what PHX sees often in the Summer. High based boomers with copious dust and on occasion copious moistures. These storms can be severe and even weakly tornadic at times.

Steve

OK, that makes sense. The humidity here yesterday was crazy for the Desert-- I felt like I was in Florida. With temps over 100F, it was just nasty.

Oy,

32 kt gusting to 41 kt dust devil.

What exactly is hot dry dirt blowing at that speed like? Anything similar to the above 35 N rainless tropical systems and sand?

Some mindless blathering as we wait for 91L to coalesce: I went to school in Fresno and being born and largely raised on the east coast, was fascinated by the dust devils that would fire up in the late morning in the fields around town. I roll into work after classes one day and there is this monster dust devil in the tumbleweed filled “field” across from my building. I’d guess it was maybe 30’ across and the dust at this point had carried at least 500’ up. While the thing was around 30’ across, there was a clearly defined central vortex that seemed to be around 5’ in diameter. It was much easier to see up above 100’ or above the “deris ball” at the bottom. I’m in a white shirt and tie, ready for work and emerge from my un-air conditioned car excited and sweating from the Fresno summer heat. I did not know that my boss and 3 or 4 others were at the front door and saw me go running across the field toward the dust devil. I really don’t know what I was planning to do but when I got to it, I hesitated for a second then jumped right in. My jump got me into the “eyewall” so I was blasted with all manner of dust, sand, pebbles, grit, tumbleweed pieces, etc… I recalculated and moved 5 feet further in and stood in the relative calm of the “eye”. It was around 5’ in diameter and felt like a (variable) windy day. I could look up the tube of the center but could not see blue sky as the dust devil’s first bend was around 50’ up. It was also really hard to see up because all kinds of grit was raining down in the center. When I got my fill of that, I ran in and out of the thing like a lunatic until I disrupted its circulation and it collapsed. When it did so, all the heavier-than-dust particles it had picked up came raining down on me as I hightailed it out of there.

I was lucky to keep my job. Once I stopped laughing like a moronic buffoon, I noticed my boss and co-workers standing in amazement looking at me as I walked towards the building. I was filthy from head to toe, think Pigpen from Charlie Brown, as was in no condition to work. My one saving grace is they knew I was a meteorology student up at the university and I was clearly not from Fresno. I was digging dust and dirt out from all sorts of places for the next 3 or 4 days. Yech.

I ate at a Denny's in FAT on US CA 99.

I used to see dust devils driving betweem BFL and Taft. Also used to see lots of lightning storms over the Sierra to the East. It did rain, something like 0.14" that July, in 1992, first rain in July in BFL for decades.

And experienced an earthquake hours after driving down the road from Lake Isabella in the Kern River deep cut/valley in the Sierra, and thinking an earthquake there would be bad.

Warm ENSO FTL.

Dust devils can be dangerous however. AZ devils can be EF1 in damage with winds well above 60 mph. Also, the windborne debris can kill as was found out when a man in ME was killed by a devil a few years ago. Strongest devil at my house in Sierra Vista had 69 mph winds took off a roof panel from my patio cover and scattering the pieces of it nearly a mile away in a parking lot. The AZ storm chasing "experts" on stormtrack.org tend to put down the severe and especially tornadic potential of monsoon thunderstorms in SE AZ-shows a lack of understanding of AZ climatology. All of AZ's tornado fatalities have occurred in Tuccson and during the monsoon. Last damaging tornado in Tucson was an EF2 on July 28,1994 while two other tornadoes occurred in SE AZ that day. Last tornado in Tucson was on August 14, 1996 (I chased that one) with others having occurred around the city since. Cochise County gets 1-3 tornadoes every year during the monsoon-most but not all small ones. One hot spot is the area north of Sierra Vista from Tombstone to Sonoita in Santa Cruz County and from Huachuca City north to I-10.

Steve

Archived