• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

bluewave

http://www.scienceda...20717084833.htm

ScienceDaily (July 13, 2012) — For the first time, scientists at ETH Zurich have examined globally the connection between soil moisture and extreme heat with measured data. Their study shows that precipitation deficits increase the probability of hot days in many regions of the world. The results will help to better assess heat risks.

In July 2011, a heatwave broke all records in Texas. It did not rain in the region for months. Cornfields and grassland withered, and the soil dried out. For several weeks temperatures were above 38°C, in some places rising even to 43°C or 45°C. The Texan record summer was one example of what climate scientists have also been able to demonstrate in other regions in recent years: if there is a precipitation deficit in the spring, the probability of heatwaves in the summer increases.

Interesting article - I didn't find the results surprising but it is good to see research in this area.

Yeah ,it's good to see the percentages quantified in a paper. You can see how the US spring drought pattern

over the last few years hinted at where the summer heat and drought would be focused.

I'll read the paper later, but this is pretty much what I assumed from this comment. The fact our winter was so mild and we never had frost deep in the soil probably ensured a warm summer was imminent.

I remember in eastern several mets. talking about soil moisture a few years back. It was interesting. I believe they were saying that was also a reason why thunderstorms kept popping up in the same spots (where it was moist) and missing others (dry) in the metro ny area.

Archived