• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Aurora tonight?

Professional Lurker

So this storm passed through the ACE spacecraft, but it had yet to reach Earth. I guess that if it's a moderate strength storm we might get to see an Aurora?

According to spaceweather, it has hit. ...I think we've got a very good shot at seeing something tonite.

I would like to predict a kp of 7-8, but I think that its 'eek' that says if the bz is 20 south, chances are very good.

According to spaceweather, it has hit. ...I think we've got a very good shot at seeing something tonite.

I would like to predict a kp of 7-8, but I think that its 'eek' that says if the bz is 20 south, chances are very good.

It looks like a kp of 6 to me as a G2 magnetic storm is what might happen, but I am no expert. I tried viewing it last year during some solar outbreaks but without any luck. It's certainly dark enough here in the "dark corner" of New England and I can often see satellites and the ISS passing overhead with the naked eye without any difficulty.

CME IMPACT: As expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on July 14th at approximately 1800 UT or 11 am Pacific Daylight Time). A geomagnetic storm is brewing in the wake of the impact. At the moment, conditions appear favorable for auroras over high-latitude places such as Canada, Scandinavia, Antarctica and Siberia. It is too early to say whether the storm will intensify and bring auroras to middle latitudes as well. Stay tuned for updates

www.spaceweather.com

A G2 (K=6) gemag will put visual aurbo in northern New England, the Great Lakes region, the Dakotas, MT, northern ID and northern WA. High end G2 and low end G3 (K=6+ to 7-) will put visual aurora from northern OR through ID/northern UT, WY, NE, IA, IL, OH, northern PA,NY and New England. A G3 will do it for Philly <g> so you have to watch the numbers as they come up tonight. Typically the night sectors see the stronger gemag activity.

Steve

A G2 (K=6) gemag will put visual aurbo in northern New England, the Great Lakes region, the Dakotas, MT, northern ID and northern WA. High end G2 and low end G3 (K=6+ to 7-) will put visual aurora from northern OR through ID/northern UT, WY, NE, IA, IL, OH, northern PA,NY and New England. A G3 will do it for Philly <g> so you have to watch the numbers as they come up tonight. Typically the night sectors see the stronger gemag activity.

Steve

Please keep posting in either the main forum or here as the night goes on. Awesome info.

Was up at Quetico for a canoe trip 14 years go and had the pleasure of seeing vivid northern lights nightly. Well worth going to some place you can see them.

My daughter is staying with my parents on east grand lake, Maine (20 or so miles south of Houlton) and I'm hoping that they can see a show. Wish I was up there tonite bvut I'd probably be pulling my hair out.

Archived