• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GR3 2.00 upgrade coming soon

Solak

Not sure where to put this, so I figured I'd post it where I'm most comfortable :) Feel free to share it elsewhere around the board. Just got this off of Facebook in the GRLevelX Users Group

Steve King

GR3 2.00 is looking good now. The "death march" phase is complete. Estimated official release date is May 21. There will be a GRLevel3 1.92 release (with minor changes, not a required update) sometime soon that will aid in the transition to 2.00.

This is the first upgrade that GRS has performed so I imagine there will be some bumps in the road. Please bear with me as we go through this! I believe that 2.00 is a worthy upgrade, not just for the Dual Pol data but for the other new features as well.

Edit: I don't have a changelist available. There are some major changes (Dual Pol, LSRs, background, etc.) and quite a few smaller changes (Hail iconsheets, TVS iconsheets, etc.). The main window is largely unchanged, with just some grouping of items and the placement of the "Smoothing" button on the toolbar.

Not sure where to put this, so I figured I'd post it where I'm most comfortable :) Feel free to share it elsewhere around the board. Just got this off of Facebook in the GRLevelX Users Group

I've had GR3 for years and years. I've gotten so much use out of it and been through so many free upgrades that I am feeling guilty about it and am seriously considering just buying the program again.

I've had GR3 for years and years. I've gotten so much use out of it and been through so many free upgrades that I am feeling guilty about it and am seriously considering just buying the program again.

Just buy GREarth...you won't feel so guilty then I bet!

Mike did go on to say that the 2.00 will be about $40 so now you won't feel as guilty.

Yes, it will be worth the upgrade price IMHO. I run 7 instances of GRL3 on my computers and it works like a champ. I'm running 1.92 right now.

I've tried out the other packages (GRL2, GRL2A) and like them but none of them upload images so they are kinda worthless on my website, but fine for my personal use. GREarth requires a yearly subscription which I just couldn't justify.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if you guys were all aware, but GRLevel3 2.00 is out and it's amazing!

http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3_2/

If you purchased GRLevel3 1.00 in 2011 or 2012, you are entitled to a free GRLevel3 2.00 Upgrade registration key. You have to log in to the Owner Support Forums to request it at http://www.grlevelx.com/owners/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7238

It also has to be installed completely separately than your current GRLevel3, as it's a different program all together.

If you purchased GRLevel3 1.00 in 2011 or 2012, you are entitled to a free GRLevel3 2.00 Upgrade registration key. You have to log in to the Owner Support Forums to request it at http://www.grlevelx....php?f=34&t=7238

It also has to be installed completely separately than your current GRLevel3, as it's a different program all together.

Yep. It's a winner.

If you purchased GRLevel3 1.00 in 2011 or 2012, you are entitled to a free GRLevel3 2.00 Upgrade registration key. You have to log in to the Owner Support Forums to request it at http://www.grlevelx....php?f=34&t=7238

Cool beans. I'm now waiting on my new registration key.

when you get the trial of grlevel3 version 2 do you get everything or do you got to buy the license to access all features? thanks

Yes you get all the features of the licensed copy.

Well, good news and bad.

It works great on the laptop I'm typing on, but not on the computer that does all my weather stuff plus the FFC GRL3 loop.

You can see a sample loop (the other links on the page won't get you anything right now). You'll notice that I just zoomed all the way out and it has a different background. That's automatic. However, when viewed here on the laptop, it didn't show the zoomed background even though that's what it uploaded. Makes no sense? With this version, there are three available backgrounds, each one becomes visible as a different zoom level. Obviously if you zoom in more you get more detail. This is an automatic process that retrieves these background images from NOAA http://www.grlevelx.com/manuals/background/

The FTP settings are different and I struggled to get that to work. The simple folder structure from the earlier versions didn't work.

I like the rest of the features though and especially for those radar sites that have Dual Pol data. I'm going to be adding the Dual Pol data to the FFC radar as soon as I find a computer that will run it properly.

Well, good news and bad.

It works great on the laptop I'm typing on, but not on the computer that does all my weather stuff plus the FFC GRL3 loop.

Post your problem in the GR forum. I'll bet you will get help quickly. Mike is very responsive to issues.

Some common problems:

If you use something other than Microsoft's Internet Explorer

Run MSIE and make sure File->Work Offline is not checked.

If you're getting no data at all and you're on high speed internet

Go to Start->Control Panel->Internet Options->Connections, press "LAN Settings", then make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is checked.

Verify that MSIE can see the NWS server:

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/SL.us008001 ... 0/SI.kffc/

You should see an html directory listing that includes many files with names of the form "sn.0000", "sn.0001", etc.

Mike

The problem is the video card doesn't have enough memory. The new version will load and all the menu items work, but you see nothing where the background and radar would normally be. It's like a hole, you can see whatever is behind the GR3 app like you're looking straight through a hole. The computer that won't run it is my weather computer so internet access isn't the issue. If there weren't so many apps loaded and running it might have enough to run. I haven't messed with it much since the first time I tried it and I still had the old version of GR3 loaded and running as well. I might try shutting it down and try the new version again tonight.

The problem is the video card doesn't have enough memory. The new version will load and all the menu items work, but you see nothing where the background and radar would normally be. It's like a hole, you can see whatever is behind the GR3 app like you're looking straight through a hole. The computer that won't run it is my weather computer so internet access isn't the issue. If there weren't so many apps loaded and running it might have enough to run. I haven't messed with it much since the first time I tried it and I still had the old version of GR3 loaded and running as well. I might try shutting it down and try the new version again tonight.

Ah. Yes, the new version requires a bit more from the video card.

Support

GRLevel3 uses your graphics hardware more than most applications. It accesses the hardware through DirectX 9 and requires Shader Model 2.0 or higher support in the graphics hardware. The latest version of DirectX is available at Microsoft's website.

It's also recommended that you download and install the latest drivers for your video card.

Archived