• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Some Beach Pictures from Southern Mindanao

Here are some pictures taken last week near Glan located on the Southern tip of Mindanao. Just like everywhere else here, the beaches although very beautiful, are always deserted. Surprisingly, even the beaches around Davao City which is a high population center (1.5 million), the beaches rarely have many people on them. It does make for some nice peaceful walks which I like to do every evening for exercise.

post-1075-0-78422200-1335206747.jpg

post-1075-0-39105800-1335206780.jpg

post-1075-0-64191400-1335206803.jpg

post-1075-0-13225000-1335206820.jpg

post-1075-0-80160300-1335206850.jpg

Gorgeous area. Reminds me of Taiwan a bit. But your beaches are alot better.

Yes, the beaches here are pretty awesome, although I have not been to Taiwan to give an accurate comparison. I have been to several of the smaller islands around here as well and everywhere you go the beaches are the same. I like that none of them are commercialized and still in their natural state. Some of the more remote beaches in the South, such as where the pictures above were taken, can be dangerous to reach since they are in areas where there is a heavy presence of Islamic extremist and frequent skirmishes with the military. But then again, the whole island once you get into the rural areas is like the "Wild West". There are at least a half a dozen small groups that have been fighting the government for decades here in Mindanao. This has been the main cause for so much poverty here as this island is rich in natural resources. If the government could ever reign in these groups this island would really thrive. It is hard to promote business development and tourism when Western governments tell people to stay away from Mindanao. It's a shame really because this is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

These pics are useless without babes in bikinis.... :P

I agree that the beaches here would look much better with some hot Filipinas in bikinis, but this part of the country is so conservative that you will not find that here. That along with a fear women have of getting darker than they already are. Women here avoid the Sun like the plague. Whenever you do see women on the beach they are always wearing shorts and a tee shirt over top of their swimwear, and for those reasons, I only have pictures of empty beaches to share for now.

pardon the ignorance, but why are women scared to have their skin darken?

and the pictures are beautiful :)

Here is the way I had it explained to me. It is mainly based on historical reasons. In ancient Asian civilizations, they had a system of low class, middle class, and high class. People who were born in the low class and the middle class had to go out to work all day, so they had more exposure to the sun resulting in a darker skin tone. However people who were born into the higher class didn’t have to work at all or had more official jobs that did not require laboring in the sun all day. Due to that people who stayed indoors had lighter more pale skin and people who had to work outside had darker tan skin. Because of that, people could easily tell whether you're born in the rich families or the poor families just by looking at the color of your skin. Therefore, those with lighter skin were very well respected and honored while the darker skin people were being looked down on. So as you can see, today’s reasoning for wanting lighter skin and avoiding the sun is based more on ignorance than anything else as a person's skin color has nothing to do with a person's status in life. The reason this mindset it is still so popular today has more to do with the push by the media and the corporations that manufacture these products brainwashing people into believing that you have to be fair skinned to be beautiful, and by being so have a higher status in today's world.

yea, that's really sad. :(

that also happened in america where people at first didnt want to be tan and then at some point, the roles reversed and if you were rich enough, you could go to beautiful locations and sit on the beach and tan. and id say that even today being tan is something most people strive for.

i learned about while touring the Breakers in Newport, RI.

Archived