• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1 Year Ago Today: NC Tornado Outbreak

eyewall

Today (4/16) is the 1 year anniversary of the historic NC Tornado Outbreak in which 30 confirmed touchdowns occurred in a single day. For myself I chased 3 of the supercells that day. The first was the Sanford-Raleigh storm and I just reached the beltline in time to see power flashes in the South Saunders St. area. Once it was clear that it was rainwrapped and unable to be seen (and in the city) the decision was made to head for the Wilson storm. It is there I witnessed and shot the following:

Following this tornado I headed for Farmville and got "cored" and therefore just missed the tornado there. I shot some damage stills having arrived just after it happened. Everyone was ok and emergency crews were already on the scene. The smell of pine was incredibly strong. Thereafter, following 400 miles of driving, it was time to head home. Share your memories here and may we never forget people lost their lives on a day many will remember for a long time.

Great video! Our home was 7 miles from the Smithfield storm, and about 17 miles from the Raleigh one, so it certainly made for a long day of tracking and watching the sky. Somehow, we ended up with some insulation and small pieces of busted vinyl siding in our yard here in Clayton.

Sitting here on the other end of the state, I was glued to the computer watching the WRAL online stream as the Sanford tornado moved into Wake County. I'll never forget the camera view from Downtown Raleigh as the wedge Tornado came through.

The state of North Carolina has been fairly lucky so far this spring...only exception was the early March system that brought the tornadoes to the far western tip of North Carolina (Murphy) and the University Area in Charlotte.

The Raleigh tornado hit 10 miles from my house. I'll never forget having my wife, kids, niece, and our dog all get in the bathtub while I was watching the TV to see where they said it was heading. Then the power went out when it landed in the Wake Crossroads area.

It seems this time of year is always big for news events, not just for weather related ones, too. Weird.

Archived