• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April Freezes Becoming Less Common in NYC

donsutherland1

Given the date, latest model guidance, and monthly analogs, I believe New York City's last freeze has already occurred. The last freeze was March 27, 2012 when the temperature fell to 30°. Should such an outcome occur, 2012 will mark the 5th consecutive year in which the last freeze occurred prior to April and 7th of the last 8 for which there was no April freeze.

The following are the dates for New York City's last freeze since 2000:

2000: April 9

2001: March 28

2002: April 7

2003: April 8

2004: April 6

2005: March 16

2006: March 22

2007: April 9

2008: March 30

2009: March 24

2010: March 27

2011: March 29

The last time New York City saw a freeze occur on April 10 or later was April 10, 1997 when the temperature fell to 28°.

It seems like NYC,philly and dc all are having a rough time with april freezes but the cooler burbs seem not to be affected as much. Nighttime lows are wamer especially in philly and dc. It looks like what Don said that NYC is only .5 degrees warmer in april.

It seems like NYC,philly and dc all are having a rough time with april freezes but the cooler burbs seem not to be affected as much. Nighttime lows are wamer especially in philly and dc. It looks like what Don said that NYC is only .5 degrees warmer in april.

I hit freezing or just below freezing where I am in C NJ a few times last week.

I think it's becoming apparent that NYC's warming is due to an overall shift and not just the UHI. Snowfall is up because we're getting more precip, but as warming progresses there could/should be a sharp decline after a certain point--that seems to be what's happened further south, first in Richmond and increasingly in DC. That doesn't preclude and in fact enhances the possibility of blockbuster seasons when it's actually cold, but the overall milder regime would mean that snowfall is increasingly sporadic/received in large quantities. This is most evident when you look at the months bordering winter (November, March, and April), which have seen significant declines in snowfall.

Correct. Where radiational cooling can take place, one can still see frequent freezes in April. However, even there, the frequency of freezes has diminished somewhat. If one is forecasting for the City, one needs to take into consideration the probability of freezes when looking at extended range modeling and make the necessary adjustments.

Freezes can still occur in April. One just has to be careful when looking at the data: marginal freeze forecasts in the extended range have a low probability of verifying. One should look for continuity, trends in the forecasts (toward colder, if possible), and forecast output several degrees below freezing if one expects an extended range freeze forecast to verify.

the lowest temperature this month is 38 making it one of the highest April minimums on record...

April's warmest monthly min...

42 in 1878

40 in 2010

38 in 2012

37 in 2005

37 in 1951

37 in 1910

37 in 1902

36 in 1991

36 in 1941

36 in 1901

The bugs have noticed -- I can't remember ever seeing this many insects in mid April. Nats, mosquitos, wasps, flies, stink bugs, you name it - they're out. Maybe we can get a colder low early next week.

The bugs have noticed -- I can't remember ever seeing this many insects in mid April. Nats, mosquitos, wasps, flies, stink bugs, you name it - they're out. Maybe we can get a colder low early next week.

Florida had less bugs...before I went there the forecast was for temps lower than that...I was surprised to see only low 40's for mins...I think temps in the 30's for Central park has ended...

• 2 weeks later...

Florida had less bugs...before I went there the forecast was for temps lower than that...I was surprised to see only low 40's for mins...I think temps in the 30's for Central park has ended...

They should see 30s tonight. A freeze watch has been issued for eastern Bergen County. A freeze warning for the outlying areas.

You spoke too soon...Central Park made it down to 38F for the minimum early this morning.

at least it wasn't the coldest temperature of the month... :axe: 38 is pretty cold for this time of year in the Park...I think we see one more round of cold in May before we say good bye to frost or freezes in the country...I'll guess the Park has a low temp of 43 and the colder spots get down to 32 or lower before the Summer arrives in June...

Archived