• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday continued cloudy but a bit milder, with high temps up in the mid 40s. Temps have been slowly falling through the 40s this evening, but still about 40 just after midnight as we enter Monday morning. A clipper system from the lower midwest is coming in, and should give us a mixed bag at first for early Monday morning, then change over to snow, with it persisting all day and into the evening, with high temps in the 30s and lows in the 20s Monday evening (90 POP all day Monday). 1-3 inches of snow is expected till 6 PM or so, then a possible 1-2 more inches overnight Monday into Tuesday. A Winter Weather Advisory has been posted for our area from now through 6 PM on Monday. Snow flurries, possibly a snow shower on Tuesday with highs in the 30s, lows in the teens. Wednesday should be partly to mostly sunny with high temps around freezing, lows in the teens. Thursday should see more clouds coming back, with a 70 POP for snow showers on Thursday evening. Friday should see clearing and continued seasonably cold, highs in the 30s, lows in the 20s.

The weather underground link to my station data is:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=K...
My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)
My data can also be found at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman
Weatherbug is picking up my Bennington weather station data now. Just go to weatherbug.com and enter my zip code 20878. You should see a choice to select my Bennington weather station. Hope you can take it from there! If not, let me know.

Sunday's precipitation: T (LR) 0.25" (drip through - partial blockage - from precip over the weekend - VP2)
Sunday's snowfall: 0
Snow on ground tonight: 0
January 2015 snowfall: 5.9"
Seasonal snowfall (2014-2015) 7.5"
January total precipitation: 3.70"
Annual 2015 YTD precipitation total: 3.70"

Other data for Sunday is as follows:
High temp 46.1° (1504)
Low temp 35.2° (0333)
Obs temp 40.6°
Peak wind gust 14 WSW (0459)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 85% (1349) to a low of 65% (1435)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 36° to 30°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.90"(2039) to 29.71"(0000)

At midnight obs temperature was 40.6°, Winds 5 ENE, Pressure at 29.88" and falling, relative humidity 81%, dew point of 35.2°.

Currently 0053 (EST), Cloudy, temperature 40.5°, dew point temperature 35.1°, winds 3 NNE, relative humidity 81% with the barometric pressure 29.88" and falling.

Radar is showing light snow over most of PA, light rain south here in MD, VA and WV (scattered some actually), with the snow starting to take over near the PA/MD border of late. Still nothing falling here.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, January 27, 2015
  •  

Tuesday was cold with light snow overnight then partly cloudy skies during most of the day, barely getting over the freezing mark in the mid-afternoon, then clear and cold this evening into early Wednesday morning. Sunny and cold on Wednesday with highs in the mid 30s. Thursday and Sunday should be cloudy and cold with a 30-40 POP for snow showers, highs in the 30s,lows in the 20s. Friday and Saturday should be sunny to partly cloudy with highs in the upper 20s on Saturday and low-mid 30s on Friday. Lows mostly in the teens. Next Monday should be cold with highs in the mid-upper 20s, with a possibility of a snowstorm late in the day, more details on this potential storm later on in the week.

My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:
Weatherbug is picking up my Bennington weather station data now. Just go to weatherbug.com and enter my zip code 20878. You should see a choice to select my Bennington weather station. Hope you can take it from there! If not, let me know.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.04" (LR) 0.02" (incomplete VP2 data - snow still frozen in the catch cylinder)
Tuesday's snowfall: 0.4"
Storm snowfall total (Mon-Tue): 3.1"
Snow on ground tonight: 2"
January 2015 snowfall: 9.0"
Seasonal snowfall (2014-2015) 10.6"
January total precipitation: 4.00"
Annual 2015 YTD precipitation total: 4.00"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows:
High temp 33.0° (1344)
Low temp 25.3° (2356)
Obs temp 25.3°
Peak wind gust 18 WNW (1528)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0021) to a low of 73% (2353)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 18°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04"(2353) to 29.79"(0434)

At midnight it was clear, obs temperature was 25.3°, Winds 11 SW, Pressure at 30.04" and rising, relative humidity 73%, dew point of 17.9°.

Currently 0129 (EST), Clear, temperature 24.5°, dew point temperature 15.8°, winds 12 NW, relative humidity 69% with the barometric pressure 30.06" and rising.

Radar is showing the heavy blizzard snow up winding down over parts of Northern New England, particularly Maine and nothern NH at this time. A few snow flurries are falling in parts of WV and also out in parts of Wisconsin.

Kevin the once again snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, January 29, 2015
  •  

Thursday was increasingly cloudy and cold, after a clear, very cold overnight. We also had a brief mixed precipitation shower blow through in the mid-late afternoon. I am not sure what precipitation types I had, but heard there was possibly sleet, freezing rain, rain and snow in the mix. Tonight it is still cloudy with temps remaining in the 30s. We have a wind advisory out for our area overnight heading into Friday. I found my Yaktrax overshoe traction cleats, so I was able to safely venture out to the rain gauge at midnight observation time and swap out my gauge so I could measure the catch for the day in the warmth of the inside of the house at my leisure. It will continue cold over the next several days, with highs mostly in the upper 20s to mid 30s and lows mostly in the teens and twenties. Our next chance for a winter storm is later on Sunday into Monday, with possibly significant snow during that period. Stay tuned for updates on that system over the next few days. Next week looks to clear out and remain cold.

Weatherbug is picking up my Bennington weather station data now. Just go to weatherbug.com and enter my zip code 20878.  You should see a choice to select my Bennington weather station. Hope you can take it from there! If not, let me know.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.05" (LR) 0.01" (VP2 - incomplete - more frozen precipitation on hold till warmer weather can melt it on through)
Thursday's snowfall: 0.1"
Snow on ground tonight: 1"
January 2015 snowfall: 9.1"
Seasonal snowfall (2014-2015) 10.7"
January total precipitation: 4.05"
Annual 2015 YTD precipitation total: 4.05"

Other data for Thursday is as follows:
High temp 34.4° (1448)
Low temp 16.2° (0558)
Obs temp 33.4°
Peak wind gust 9 ESE (1603)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0730) to a low of 44% (1306)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 12°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.39"(0134) to 29.96"(2337)

At midnight it was cloudy, obs temperature was 33.4°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.97" and falling, relative humidity 77%, dew point of 27.1°.  NOTE: I reported a pressure reading of 30.34" at obs last night - it should have been 30.38" (and steady). I caught this myself actually. So sorry about that error.

Currently 0148 (EST), mostly cloudy, temperature 33.2°, dew point temperature 28°, winds Calm, relative humidity 81% with the barometric pressure 29.96" and falling.

Radar is showing our earlier clipper system has passed on off to the NE and is over New England. A cold front is kicking off snow showers in the lake effect snow regions of the Great Lakes, including sections of Western PA and the mtns of West Virginia at this time.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

• 2 months later...
I had a power outage in my neighborhood last night (4/16) and could not post my daily wx update. I am trying to post a very brief one here just to let you know. Power was out for about 3-4 hours overnight (not weather-related)

Brief highlights for Thursday - a basically partly to mostly cloudy day - cloudy particularly in the evening with some light showers just prior to obs but while I was out of power. Luckily my VP2 battery backup was working. Data showing below was obtained from my display - normally I get it through my computer connections. 

High temp 71.3 @ 1443 

Low temp 44.3 @ 0710

Peak wind gust 12 MPH @ 1201 ESE

High pressure 30.43" @ 0119

Low pressure 30.23" @ 2349

Max RH 82% @ 2354

Min RH 26% @ 1445

Dew pt range today: 53° to 32°

Precip: 0.01" 

Midnight readings: Temp 58.5  RH 82%, Dew pt 53 Pressure steady at 30.23" Wind calm. Light rain had been falling but I don't think was right at midnight. 

That is about all I have time for right now. 

Kevin

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, April 17, 2015
  •  

I posted a brief report during the day on Friday for Thursday's weather due to a power outage in my neighborhood late Thursday/early Friday that kept me from posting my usual report here at the usual time. 

Friday was mostly cloudy overnight with light rain, then clearing off and a pretty nice day during daylight hours with warm temps - only mid 50s for lows, upper 70s for high temps. Friday evening into early Saturday morning found temps sliding down some, through the 60s into the mid 50s now during these early Saturday morning hours. Saturday should be a repeat of Friday, perhaps a few degrees warmer as we may reach 80 for the daily high temperature. Mild Saturday night with lows in the 50s, then cooler on Sunday with highs in the mid-upper 60s, partly cloudy but turning cloudy by evening, with rain, possibly heavy, after midnight early Monday morning (100 POP). A 70 POP for more rain (possibly even a thunderstorm) during the day on Monday, highs in the 60s, lows in the 50s. Monday night still a 50 POP for showers, cooling off into the upper 40s. Partly to mostly sunny from Tuesday through the rest of the workweek, with temps in the upper 60s on Tuesday sliding down gradually to highs in the upper 50s by Friday as a cooling trend takes hold. Lows mostly in the 40s.

Friday's precipitation: 0.17" (LR) 0.01" (VP2 - still clogged) 
April total precipitation: 1.45"
2015 YTD precipitation total: 12.32"

Other data for Friday is as follows:

High temp 77.7° (1631)

Low temp 54.1° (0656)

Obs temp 61.8° Peak wind gust 12 WSW (1355)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0728) to a low of 54% (1800)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 62° to 53°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(0001) to 29.93"(1748)

At midnight obs temperature 61.8°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and rising, relative humidity 82%, dew point of 56°.

Current observations at 0348 EDT include a temperature of 56.0°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.97" and falling, relative humidity 90%, dew point 53°.

Radar is showing very light showers well to my south down in parts of coastal Carolina, not headed this way any time soon. Other than that, the Eastern US north of Florida and the deep SE is void of any precipitation echoes at this time.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Tuesday featured very light overnight rain , kind of leftover from Monday's much more significant output. Clouds overnight gave way to mostly to partly cloudy skies during the day, breezy at times, and cooler, with high temps in the mid 60s. Tonight the temperatures have dropped off nicely, and early this Wednesday morning are in the mid 40s. We probably will be in the low 40s by sunrise, unless cloud cover comes in and puts a ceiling over us and the sinking temperatures. During the day clouds will for sure come in ahead of a midwestern Cold Frontal system, with a 70 POP for showers and even thunderstorms on Wednesday afternoon into the early evening. Slowly clearing off on Wednesday night and turning colder, with lows by morning in the upper 30s. Highs on Thursday and Friday under partly cloudy skies should be in the upper 50s. Lows in the upper 30s on Thursday night and mid 30s with scattered areas of frost possible on Friday night. Saturday should see a return of some clouds, with highs in the lower 60s, and a 40 POP for possible rain. Sunday should clear off once again and feature high temps back again in the lower 60s. Roller coaster ride a bit on the temps, par for the course for this time of year.

Weatherbug is picking up my Bennington weather station data now. Just go to weatherbug.com and enter my zip code 20878.   You should see a choice to select my Bennington weather station. Hope you can take it from there! If not, let me know.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.04" (LR and VP2)
April total precipitation: 2.52"
2015 YTD precipitation total: 13.39"

High temp 67.2° (1630)

Low temp 48.6° (2359)

Obs temp 48.6° 

Peak wind gust 19 WSW (1020)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0238) to a low of 27% (1631) 
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 31°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.81"(2336) to 29.57"(0115)

At midnight obs temperature 48.6°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.80" and falling, relative humidity 71%, dew point of 40°.

Current observations at 0144 EDT include a temperature of 45.7°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.78" and falling, relative humidity 79%, dew point 40°.

Radar is still showing widely scattered showers to my west and north over the states of OH, NY, WV, PA, and western Maryland. I see a patch of snow over far northern central PA, extending northward a bit into central NY state.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

• 9 months later...
Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather report for Thursday, February 11, 2016

On Thursday we had clear skies with colder temperatures, particularly in the evening. Snow showers went elsewhere, and all we got were plummeting temperatures and wind chills. Cold winds kept up most all day, and temperatures held well below the freezing mark, particularly this evening with teen values showing up prior to midnight observation. I figure we will be in the low teens by sunrise on Friday. During the day on Friday becoming partly to mostly cloudy as yet another strong cold front enters the region, with highs in the low 30s and scattered snow showers starting to fall in the afternoon, stronger in the evening (50 POP), possibly an inch of accumulation under strong NW winds, with lows Friday night in the upper teens. Sunny and very cold with low 20s for highs over the weekend, lows around 8° Saturday night (still strong winds at times, keeping the temps from going lower, but wind chills will probably be around if not below zero) and then lows of 10°-15° Sunday night. A bit milder but with a 60 POP for snow on President's Day Monday, highs in the low 30s. An 80 POP for snow and rain on Monday night with lows around 30°. The forecast is for clouds on Tuesday and milder with rain, high temps in the mid 40s. Then Tuesday night a 40 POP for rain showers, lows around 30. Wednesday and Thursday partly sunny to mostly sunny, highs in the low 40s Wednesday and upper 30s on Thursday, lows in the mid 20s.

My data can also be found at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Thursday precipitation: 0

February total precipitation: 1.50"

2016 YTD precipitation: 6.01"

Thursday snowfall: 0

Snow on ground at observation tonight: T

February total snowfall: 2.2"

2016 YTD snowfall: 33.9"

2015-16 seasonal snowfall total: 33.9"

High temp 27.0° (1323)

Low temp 18.6° (0720)

Obs temp 19.2°

Peak wind gust 20 WSW (0857)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 63% (0100) to a low of 39% (1611)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 12° to 3°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34" (2316) to 29.96" (0000)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 19.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.33" and rising, relative humidity 57%, dew point of 6°.

Current observations at 0421 - Clear, temperature 15.8°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.32" and falling, relative humidity 69%, dew point 7°.

Radar is showing scattered snow showers to my W and SW, over parts of IL, KY, TN, and NC at this time, heading east.

Sunrise: 0705 (EST) Sunset 1741 (EST) Moonphase: Waxing Crescent

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, February 12, 2016
  •  

On Friday we had mostly to partly sunny skies and not quite as cold as yesterday early, but in the evening temps returned into the 20s with snow showers as an arctic front moved through the area. We are now set up with our coldest weekend of the season. Snow did not amount to much of anything, but it was pretty as it fell dry and flew around a bit. Winds were relatively light today, but should pick up overnight with below zero wind chills also coming in this weekend. Snow showers are showing up on the radar to my north and west, so we still have a chance for some more. A winter weather advisory for snow was posted for the period prior to midnight, and now a wind advisory and a wind chill advisory have kicked in for most all of Saturday. Winds of 20-30 MPH with possible gusts to 45 MPH in some locations (not mine) in the region. Wind chills may go below zero at times. Sunny and very cold with low 20s for highs over the weekend, lows around 8° Saturday night (still strong winds at times, keeping the temps from going lower, but wind chills will probably be around if not below zero). Clouding up Sunday night with a 60 POP for snow after midnight with lows in the mid-upper teens. A bit milder but with a 70 POP for snow on President's Day Monday, highs in the low 30s. An 80 POP for snow and/or freezing rain on Monday night with lows around 30°. Cloudy skies continue on Tuesday and milder with rain, high temps in the mid 40s. Then Tuesday night a 40 POP for snow showers, lows around 30. Wednesday and Thursday partly sunny to mostly sunny, highs in the low 40s Wednesday and upper 30s on Thursday, lows in the low-mid 20s.

Friday precipitation: T
Friday snowfall: T

High temp 30.2° (1450)
Low temp 14.7° (0552)
Obs temp 24.3°
Peak wind gust 9 SW (1308)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 81% (2304) to a low of 43% (1413)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 20° to 5°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34" (0032) to 30.01" (1926)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 24.3°, Winds 1 NW, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, relative humidity 81%, dew point of 19°.

Current observations at 0353 - Cloudy with light snow showers,  temperature 23.3°, Winds 5 SW, pressure at 30.06" and rising, relative humidity 67%, dew point 14°.

Radar is showing scattered snow showers in the region, mostly to my W, SW, and NW, over parts of PA, WV and western MD/VA.

Sunrise: 0703 (EST) Sunset 1742 (EST) Moonphase: Waxing Crescent

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, February 13, 2016
  •  

On Saturday we started out with a few clouds overnight and some light snow showers as the colder air filtered in on some high winds, peaking out in the late morning. We are now in the middle of our coldest weekend of the season. Sunny and very cold with highs in the low 20s over the weekend, lows around 8° Saturday night (still strong winds at times, keeping the temps from going lower, but wind chills will probably be around if not below zero). Clouding up Sunday afternoon/night with a 70 POP for light snow after midnight with lows in the mid-upper teens (little or now accumulation - but a winter storm watch has been posted from late Sunday night through till Tuesday). A bit milder but with a 90 POP for snow in the AM on President's Day Monday, then mixed with sleet or freezing rain in the PM, with highs in the low 30s. A 100 POP for freezing rain on Monday night with lows in the low 30s. Cloudy skies continue on Tuesday and milder with rain or some remaining freezing rain in the morning (70 POP), high temps in the mid 40s. Then Tuesday night a 40 POP for snow showers, lows in the low 30s. Wednesday and Thursday partly sunny to mostly sunny, highs in the mid 40s Wednesday and upper 30s on Thursday, lows in the mid 20s.

Saturday precipitation: T
Saturday snowfall: T

Other data for Saturday is as follows:
High temp 24.3° (0000) P.M. Max temp 21.9° (1330)
Low temp 13.1° (2350) A.M. Min temp 17.7° (0805)
Obs temp 13.1°
Peak wind gust 26 WNW (1154)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 85% (0418) to a low of 39% (1505)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 20° to -3°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.45" (2325) to 30.00" (0107)
At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 13.1°, Winds 11 SW, Pressure at 30.45" and rising, relative humidity 56%, dew point of 0°.

Current observations at 0435 - Clear, temperature 11.6°, Winds 3 WSW, pressure at 30.50" and rising, relative humidity 62%, dew point 1°.

Radar is showing some light snow (may or may not be reaching the ground) oriented NW-SE across parts of the states of KY, IL, IN, IA, and MO at this time.

Sunrise: 0702 (EST) Sunset 1743 (EST) Moonphase: First Quarter

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Valentine's Day Sunday, February 14, 2016
  •  

On Sunday we had a very cold Valentine's Day morning, just under 10°, then a mostly sunny, cold day with high temps only reaching the mid 20s. Clouds were on the increase in the evening with steady temps in the low 20s with light snow starting to fall just prior to midnight observation. The snow has kept falling early on this President's Day Monday morning, with close to an inch accumulation as of 3 AM with a temperature of 20.1°. The NWS has taken down the winter storm watch for my county (Montgomery) but counties to the west and north of me still have it in force. We have a winter weather advisory in place here. Snow in the morning on President's Day Monday, then mixed with sleet /freezing rain in the PM, with highs around 30°. A total sleet/snow accumulation of 3-5 inches. Freezing rain on Monday night with lows in the low 30s. Cloudy skies continue on Tuesday and milder with rain (100 POP), high temps in the mid-upper 40s. Then Tuesday night a 30 POP for rain showers in the evening, then snow showers after midnight, lows in the low 30s. Wednesday and Thursday partly sunny to mostly sunny, highs in the mid 40s Wednesday and around 40°on Thursday, lows in the mid-upper 20s. A warm up well into the 50s looks to be in order for the next weekend.

Sunday precipitation: T
Sunday snowfall: T

High temp 24.8° (1527) 
Low temp 9.9° (0723) 
Obs temp 20.8°
Peak wind gust 13 NW (0924)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 74% (2356) to a low of 40% (1523)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 14° to 0°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.59" (0830) to 30.45" (0031)

At midnight obs - Cloudy/light snow, temperature 20.8°, Winds 4 ESE, Pressure at 30.50" and steady, relative humidity 74%, dew point of 14°.

Current observations at 0325 - Cloudy/light snow, temperature 20.0°, Winds 3 SSE, pressure at 30.48" and falling, relative humidity 87%, dew point 17°.

Radar is showing light snow over most of the region, but with a possible dry slot out to the west that may get here in a few hours and give us a bit of a break in the snowfall for a while. If the snow comes up from the south more, we shouldn't get that break.

Sunrise: 0701 (EST) Sunset 1744 (EST) Moonphase: First Quarter

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this President's Day Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather report for President's Day Monday, February 15, 2016
  •  

On President's Day Monday we had lots of clouds and a mixed bag of precipitation types with slowly moderating temperatures through the 20s. Snow fell mostly in the AM hours, and freezing rain in the PM hours, particularly in the evening with freezing drizzle also. We have a winter storm warning for the ice till 10 AM Tuesday, then a flood watch for melting snow and rain, heavy at times late in the morning with temperatures rising into the low 50s. Rain should taper off in the afternoon, but Tuesday night remain cloudy with lows in the 30s. Wednesday and Thursday partly sunny to mostly sunny, highs in the mid 40s Wednesday and in the upper 30s on Thursday, lows in the mid-upper 20s. Sunny with highs in the mid 40s on Friday, then a warm up well into the 50s looks to be in order for both days of the coming weekend, with lows above freezing that should melt any remaining snow and ice.

Monday precipitation: 0.43" (LR)
February total precipitation: 1.93"
2016 YTD precipitation: 6.44"
Monday snowfall: 2.4"
Snow/ice on ground at observation tonight: 2.5"
February total snowfall: 4.6"
2016 YTD snowfall: 36.3"
2015-16 seasonal snowfall total: 36.3"

Other data for Monday is as follows:
High temp 29.8° (2335) 
Low temp 19.7° (0118) 
Obs temp 29.8°
Peak wind gust 8 ESE (0421)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (2200) to a low of 75% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 28° to 14°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.51" (0133) to 30.04" (2352)

At midnight obs - Cloudy/freezing rain/freezing drizzle, temperature 29.8°, Winds 1 NE, Pressure at 30.04" and falling, relative humidity 94%, dew point of 28°.

Current observations at 0355 - Cloudy/freezing drizzle, temperature 30.9°, Winds 3 NE, pressure at 29.84" and falling, relative humidity 95%, dew point 30°.

Radar is showing freezing rain to my west with freezing drizzle overhead at my station, some snow up in PA and well up in New England and NY, but the freezing rain has moved north into some of those areas also. Rain is falling further to the west and south, with the heavy rain still coming for late Tuesday morning. Complex precipitation pattern out there now as to type and extent.

Sunrise: 0700 (EST) Sunset 1746 (EST) Moonphase: First Quarter

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, February 16, 2016
  •  

On Tuesday we had the warmer part of the storm, with freezing rain for the first few hours of the day, then near sunrise got above the freezing mark and had just plain rain, moderate-heavy at times through the rest of the morning. Temps kept rising through the 30s to around 40 by mid-day, then mid 40s by mid-afternoon with the sun coming out nicely and starting to dry us out, especially with stronger westerly breezes. The warmer rain really put a dent on the snow/ice cover, and with the afternoon sun my snow and ice are pretty much gone this evening. Temps are dropping under clear skies and at 2 AM are just over the freezing mark at 32.5°. I forgot to mention last night that I was fairly easily able to get out to swap out my frozen rain gauge on the fence in the backyard by putting on a pair of YakTrax, studded overshoes that kept me from slipping on the ice. There still was a tiny bit of ice tonight, but I didn't put the YakTrax on tonight and was fine. We should remain clear overnight with temps lowering a bit more down to around 30 or upper 20s perhaps. Wednesday and Thursday partly sunny to mostly sunny, highs in the mid 40s Wednesday and in the upper 30s on Thursday, lows in the mid-upper 20s. Sunny with highs in the mid 40s on Friday, then a warm up over the weekend with highs in the upper 50s on Saturday and mid 50s on Sunday, with lows well above freezing around the upper 30s to lower 40s. Cooling back down early next week with a possible winter storm around Tuesday or Wednesday that we will have to see how it develops for our region.

Tuesday precipitation: 0.87" (LR) 1.07" (VP2)

2.80" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 0630 right after temps had gone over the freezing mark.

0.20" ice accretion measured from the freezing rain/glaze.
2-day storm total: 1.30" (LR)
February total precipitation: 2.80"
2016 YTD precipitation: 7.31"
Snow/ice on ground at observation tonight: 0

High temp 45.8° (1535) 
Low temp 29.8° (0000) 
Obs temp 34.0°
Peak wind gust 17 WSW (1450)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0811) to a low of 73% (1641)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 28°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04" (0000) to 29.52" (1107)
At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 34.0°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.89" and rising , relative humidity 91%, dew point of 32°.

Current observations at 0224 - Clear, temperature 31.9°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.90" and steady, relative humidity 93%, dew point 30°.

Radar is showing a bit of rain over southern VA, as another system is moving east but remaining south of our area. Also we have a bit of snow shower action up in the mountains to my west over western MD, WV, PA, OH, and more general snow showers over much of the state of Michigan.

Sunrise: 0659 (EST) Sunset 1747 (EST) Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, February 17, 2016
  •  

On Wednesday we dried out under cloudy skies in the AM and partly cloudy in the afternoon, with seasonable temperatures reaching the mid 40s by mid-afternoon. This evening temperatures have dropped through the 40s and most of the 30s and are now just under the freezing mark at 31.3° at 2:30 AM. We probably will reach somewhere in the 20s by sunrise, as colder air comes in on NW flow. Daytime on Thursday partly sunny skies and colder, with highs in the mid 30s, lows in the low 20s. Partly Sunny with highs around 40° on Friday, then mid 30s on Friday night and cloudy, as a warm up comes in for the weekend with highs around 60° on Saturday and mid-upper 50s on Sunday, with lows well above freezing around the upper 30s to lower 40s. Monday should be partly cloudy and a bit cooler but still above normal with highs in the low 50s. Cooling back down thereafter with temps mostly in the 30s through Wednesday with increasing chances of rain or snow from a 30 POP on Monday night to a 70 POP by Wednesday. Too close to call what our precipitation type and how much we will get from this system next week at this point. Stay tuned!

Wednesday precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2) 2.80"
February total precipitation: 2.81"
2016 YTD precipitation: 7.32"

Other data for Wednesday is as follows:
High temp 44.2° (1501) 
Low temp 29.2° (0716) 
Obs temp 29.9°
Peak wind gust 13 NW (1224)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0821) to a low of 58% (1520)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 25°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.30" (2358) to 29.88" (0129)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 29.9°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.30" and rising, relative humidity 81%, dew point of 25°.

Current observations at 0245 - Cloudy, temperature 30.7°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.33" and rising, relative humidity 80%, dew point 25°.

Radar is showing widely scattered light snow showers in parts of the Mid-Atlantic and NE, mostly from PA and NY up through New England at this time. Not too much action out to my west in the Great Lakes and Appalachians.

Sunrise: 0657 (EST) Sunset 1748 (EST) Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, February 18, 2016
  •  

On Thursday we cleared off and cooled down, staying in the 20s early and late and 30s during the more middle part of the day, when it also was a bit windy at times. Temperature at 2:45 AM is at 22.0° - by sunrise it should be in the upper teens to around 20°. Partly Sunny with highs in the upper 30s on Friday, then mid 30s on Friday night and cloudy, as a warm up comes in for the weekend with highs in the upper 50s to around 60° on Saturday under sunny skies then mid-upper 50s on Sunday with a 30 POP for rain during the day, with lows Sunday night well above freezing in the upper 30s and a 40 POP for some rain showers. Monday should be partly cloudy and a bit cooler highs in the upper 40s. Cooling back down thereafter with temps mostly in the 30s to low 40s through Wednesday with increasing chances of rain or snow from a 30 POP on Tuesday to a 70 POP during the day on Wednesday. Too close to call what our precipitation type and how much we will get from this system next week at this point. Stay tuned!

Thursday precipitation: 0 

High temp 38.0° (1526) 
Low temp 24.1° (2358) 
Obs temp 24.1°
Peak wind gust 18 NNW (1329)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (0017) to a low of 34% (1535)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 26° to 11°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.58" (2205) to 30.30" (0000)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 24.1°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.56" and falling, relative humidity 74%, dew point of 17°.

Current observations at 0324 - Clear, temperature 21.4°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.56" and steady, relative humidity 80%, dew point 16°.

Radar is showing a N-S running line of light mixed precipitation and snow through eastern OH and parts of WV just entering western PA at this time.  I think it will stay north of my area.

Sunrise: 0656 (EST) Sunset 1749 (EST) Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, February 19, 2016
  •  

On Friday we had a cold morning just barely in the teens, then rose to 40° in the afternoon under partly cloudy skies. Warmer winds have come through tonight, as temps rose the past few hours from the upper 30s to the lower 40s, so will have a mild night overnight with clouds at times associated with the warm front, then on Saturday a mostly sunny day with really mild temperatures rising up to around 60° to 65° possibly.   then mid  50s on Sunday with a 70 POP for rain during the day, with lows Sunday night in the 30s and a 40 POP for rain showers, possibly snow showers after midnight.. Monday should be mostly sunny and a bit cooler highs in the mid 40s. Clouds return Monday night with lows in the low 30s.  Tuesday and Wednesday look to be cloudy with good chances for rain (50-60 POP) with highs in the low-mid 40s, lows in the 30s. Chances for snow have diminished, as the storm track looks to be unfavorable for snow development in our region. Clearing with seasonable temperatures on Thursday and Friday, highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper 20s. 

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...
My data can also be found at:  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Friday precipitation: 0 

Other data for Friday is as follows:
High temp 40.0° (1550)  
Low temp  19.8° (0613)    
Obs temp  38.8°
Peak wind gust 11 SE (1220)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0703) to a low of 38% (1433)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 25° to 15°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.61" (0932) to 30.10" (2357)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 38.8°, Winds 1 SE, Pressure at 30.10" and falling, relative humidity 56%, dew point of 24°.

Current observations at 0346- Cloudy, temperature 43.3°, Winds 9 ESE, pressure at 30.03" and falling, relative humidity 60%, dew point 30°.

Radar is showing light snow which may or may not be hitting the ground over much of upstate NY and much of eastern New England at this time. 

Sunrise: 0655 (EST) Sunset 1750 (EST)  Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, February 20, 2016
  •  

Saturday was a very mild day, temps warming up overnight from the upper 30s around midnight to the mid 40s by sunrise, then mid 60s by mid-afternoon. My 66° (rounded) high temp set a new daily record for the date, surpassing (barely) the old record of 65° set back in 1980. Tonight the temps have dropped off some, into the low 40s now just after 4 AM. It should be about 40° by sunrise on Sunday. A bit cooler on Sunday with a 100 POP for rain during the day, highs in the mid 50s, with lows Sunday night in the mid 30s and a 80 POP for rain, mainly in the evening. Monday should be mostly sunny and a bit cooler highs in the upper 40s. Clouds return Monday night with lows in the low 30s. Tuesday should be cloudy with a 40 POP for snow, sleet, freezing rain or rain, with high temps around 40. Tuesday night rain or freezing rain, lows in the 30s. Wednesday look to be cloudy with good chances for rain (70 POP) with highs in the low 50s, lows in the lower 40s. Chances for snow have diminished, as the storm track looks to be unfavorable for any sort of significant snow development in our region. Cloudy on Thursday with a 30 POP for left over showers, highs in the 40s, lows in the 30s as we finally clear out. Mostly sunny with seasonable temperatures on Friday, highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 20s. A complex forecast for the week ahead, with several systems in work and a still uncertain track to finalize in the next day or so.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11

Saturday precipitation: 0 

High temp 65.9° (1549) 
Low temp 38.5° (0041) 
Obs temp 48.2°
Peak wind gust 13 WSW (0436)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (2358) to a low of 37% (1604)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 24°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.10" (0000) to 29.89" (1712)

At midnight obs - Partly Cloudy, temperature 48.2°, Winds 2 W, Pressure at 29.92" and steady, relative humidity 83%, dew point of 43°.

Current observations at 0440 - Partly Cloudy, temperature 41.3°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.92" and steady, relative humidity 90%, dew point 39°.

Radar is showing a relatively small area of precipitation over southern OH and IN at this time. It appears to be moving easterly and should give us our rain on Sunday. There are a few light snow showers over northern New England and up into parts of southern Quebec scattered about.

Sunrise: 0653 (EST) Sunset 1751 (EST) Moonphase: Full Moon

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, February 21, 2016
  •  

Sunday was a cooler day than yesterday, temps in the upper 30s overnight but only into the mid 50s by mid-afternoon. Also the clouds around helped keep the temps down. Rain mostly held off till some light evening showers, save for a bit of drizzle earlier in the afternoon. It has cleared off this evening, with the full moon out and crystal clear starry skies, with temps now just dropping below the 40° mark. Monday should be mostly sunny and a bit cooler highs in the upper 40s. Clouds return Monday night with lows in the low 30s. Tuesday should be cloudy with a 60 POP for rain, with high temps in the low 40s. Tuesday night rain continuing with lows in the upper 30s. Wednesday look to be cloudy with even better chances for rain (80 POP) with highs in the mid 50s, lows in the mid 40s (90 POP in the evening). Cloudy on Thursday with a 30 POP for rain showers, highs around 50°, lows in the lower 30s as we finally start to clear out. Mostly sunny with seasonable temperatures on Friday, highs around 40° and lows in the mid 20s. Continued sunny skies with seasonable temperatures heading into the final weekend of the month of February.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11

Sunday precipitation: 0.07" (LR) 0.06"(VP2) 0.28" Max rain rate @ 2036
February total precipitation: 2.88"
2016 YTD precipitation: 7.39"

High temp 54.5° (1436) 
Low temp 38.7° (0709) 
Obs temp 43.4°
Peak wind gust 12 NNW (2013)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0941) to a low of 79% (0035)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 37°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.98" (1034) to 29.85" (1435)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 43.4°, Winds 3 NNW, Pressure at 29.97" and rising, relative humidity 95%, dew point of 42°.

Current observations at 0325 - Clear, temperature 38.8°, Winds 5 N, pressure at 30.02" and rising, relative humidity 94%, dew point 37°.

Radar is showing our rain showers from earlier have moved east out towards the Atlantic Ocean, over on the MD Eastern Shore and coastal Delaware. Small areas of snow showers which may or may not be reaching the ground over parts of WI and MI, and also around Cape Cod and into the North Atlantic in that area off the Massachusetts coast.

Sunrise: 0652 (EST) Sunset 1752 (EST) Moonphase: Full Moon

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, February 22, 2016

Monday was similar temperature-wise with Sunday, though there was more sun. Temps started out just above the freezing mark in the mid 30s and then rose to the lower mid 50s by mid-afternoon. Clouds have come in this evening, temps have dropped down into the upper 30s, with rain on our doorstep to our south in central VA and should be here in a few hours, probably around sunrise. During the day on Tuesday cloudy conditions should prevail with a 100 POP for rain (possibly some sleet in the early AM), with high temps in the low 40s. Tuesday night rain continuing (90 POP) with areas of drizzle, lows in the mid 30s. Wednesday look to be cloudy with more rain (100 POP) with highs in the mid 50s, lows in the upper 40s (100 POP) in the evening with flooding, heavy rain possible. Cloudy on Thursday with a 30 POP for rain showers, highs in the lower 50s, lows in the lower 30s as we finally start to clear out. Mostly sunny with seasonable temperatures on Friday, highs around 40° and lows in the mid 20s. Continued sunny skies with moderating temperatures (highs in the mid-upper 40s - lows in the 20s Saturday night but low 30s Sunday night) heading into the final weekend of the month of February.

Monday precipitation: 0.00" (LR) 0.01"(VP2) (Theory is that it was left over drip from Sunday - recorded early in the AM)
February total precipitation: 2.88"
2016 YTD precipitation: 7.39"

Other data for Monday is as follows:
High temp 52.7° (1448) 
Low temp 34.4° (0739) 
Obs temp 38.0°
Peak wind gust 13 NNW (0937)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0000) to a low of 54% (1444)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 42° to 33°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19" (2129) to 29.96" (0037)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 38.0°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.19" and steady, relative humidity 85%, dew point of 34°.

Current observations at 0339 - Cloudy, temperature 39.2°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.15" and falling, relative humidity 84%, dew point 35°.

Radar is showing rain to our south in North Carolina, TN, and much of VA - It has reached central VA now, and should be here in our immediate area in the next few hours, probably around sunrise or a bit before.

Sunrise: 0651 (EST) Sunset 1753 (EST) Moonphase: Full Moon

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, February 23, 2016
  •  

Tuesday was cloudy and cooler, temps staying close all day with the stable conditions of clouds and drizzle and occasional light rain. Temps were in the lower 40s in the morning after upper 30s in the overnight, then dropped back into the upper 30s in the later stages of the afternoon. In the early Wednesday morning hours temperatures are staying around 40° in light fog and drizzle. During the day on Wednesday clouds look to persist with more drizzle and rain (100 POP) in the morning then more showery conditions in the afternoon as the warm air works in with highs in the low 60s. A flood watch is posted from 10 AM till late in the evening, and thunderstorms may develop in the area, possibly severe at times with heavy rain. Isolated thundershowers continue in the evening along with showers, lows in the low 40s (70 POP) in the evening. Mostly Cloudy on Thursday with a 30 POP for rain showers, highs around 50°, lows around 30° as we finally start to clear out. Mostly sunny with seasonable temperatures on Friday, highs around 40° and lows in the mid 20s. Continued sunny skies with moderating temperatures (highs in the mid 40s Saturday, mid 50s Sunday - lows in the low 30s Saturday night but around 40° Sunday night) as we finish up the final February weekend.

Tuesday precipitation: 0.43" (LR) 0.50"(VP2) 0.23" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1500
February total precipitation: 3.31"
2016 YTD precipitation: 7.82"

High temp 42.2° (1315) 
Low temp 37.5° (1541) 
Obs temp 40.2°
Peak wind gust 14 NNE (1404)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1851) to a low of 82% (0458)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 41° to 34°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.21" (0817) to 30.05" (2351)

At midnight obs - Cloudy/drizzle, temperature 40.2°, Winds 5 NNW, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, relative humidity 97%, dew point of 39°.

Current observations at 0357 - Cloudy/drizzle, temperature 39.8°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.97" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point 39°.

Radar is showing a large amount of rain out to our W and SW over much of OH, KY, TN, WV and western VA at this time. Snow over Illinois and much of northern New England.

Sunrise: 0649 (EST) Sunset 1755 (EST) Moonphase: Full Moon

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, February 24, 2016
  •  

Wednesday was quite a day. Cloudy and mild, then warm in the afternoon with the temps reaching the low 60s. Occasional rain, drizzle, fog in the AM gave way to more showery rain in the PM, but of particular note was the thunderstorm that blew in about 1745 EST. I registered my high temp for the day (61.8°) just a few minutes before the storm hit. Brief heavy rain, recorded a PWG of 24 MPH from the south at 1746, but judging from the whole trees in motion I would say my unobstructed peak wind gust was more like 40-50 MPH. There was a report of a 70 MPH gust at Weatherbug Headquarters in nearby Germantown. I had a decent 7.48" max rain rate recorded at 1748, with 0.21" of rain falling during the 5 minute period between 1745 and 1750. Many people reported rainbows/double rainbows on the backside of the storm as it was exiting. There were flood watches and warnings posted for the day, and for these storms tornado watches and even some areas got tornado warnings, plus numerous severe thunderstorm warnings. The humidity stayed up to almost 100% all day, and with the rounding conventions used, the max dew point temperature today was 62° while the max air temp was only 61.8° !! Luckily I did not lose power during the storm, but later on I lost my internet connection and phone for a while - what a time for Verizon to be doing maintenance on the system! But they warned that they would be working on it till 10 AM, but service has already been restored thankfully just before 3 AM today! Mostly Cloudy on Thursday with a 20 POP for an isolated rain shower, highs in the upper 40s, lows around 30° as we finally start to clear out. Mostly sunny with seasonable temperatures on Friday, highs in the upper 30s and lows in the mid 20s. Continued sunny skies with moderating temperatures (highs in the low 40s Saturday, upper 50s Sunday - lows in the low 30s Saturday night but in the mid 40s Sunday night) as we finish up February with a sunny and mild day (upper 50s again) on Leap Year Monday.

Wednesday precipitation: 1.13" (LR) 0.77"(VP2) 7.48" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1748
February total precipitation: 4.44"
2016 YTD precipitation: 8.95"

High temp 61.8° (1742) 
Low temp 39.5° (0447) 
Obs temp 53.8°
Peak wind gust 24 S (1746)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (1217) to a low of 97% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 62° to 39°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.05" (0008) to 29.27" (2256)

At midnight obs - PCloudy, temperature 53.8°, Winds 3 W, Pressure at 29.29" and steady, relative humidity 98%, dew point of 53°.

Current observations at 0340 - PCloudy, temperature 50.8°, Winds 9 W, pressure at 29.29" and rising, relative humidity 78%, dew point 44°.

Radar is showing our storms and heavy rain have moved north and east and are now over much of eastern New England at this time. On the backside of this huge gyre, snow is falling in much of MI, IN, and OH, with some also falling over parts of KY and WV now.

Sunrise: 0648 (EST) Sunset 1756 (EST) Moonphase: Waning Gibbous

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, February 25, 2016
  •  

Thursday was still pretty cloudy with some sun in the afternoon at times, but quite blustery with a quick early AM shower around 0530 and snow flurries in the area this evening but not observed by me unfortunately. Temps dropped off from the mid 50s at midnight into the 40s most of the day till this evening when it dropped into the 30s. Winds have kept up in our overnight tonight, still blowing pretty good out there. Clear sky with some cumulus visible through the waning gibbous moon. quite a day. Mostly sunny with seasonable temperatures on Friday, highs in the upper 30s and lows in the mid 20s. Continued sunny skies with moderating temperatures (highs in the low 40s Saturday, upper 50s Sunday - lows in the low 30s Saturday night but in the mid 40s Sunday night) as we finish up February with a sunny and mild day (upper 50s again) on Leap Year Monday and head into the first 2 days of March on that same pattern, high 50s by day, mid 30s to low 40s by night.

Thursday precipitation: 0.14" (LR) 0.16"(VP2) 0.95" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 0536
February total precipitation: 4.58"
2016 YTD precipitation: 9.09"

High temp 53.8° (0000)
Low temp 36.9° (2359) 
Obs temp 36.9°
Peak wind gust 23 WSW (1726)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0000) to a low of 56% (1735)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 25°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.78" (2349) to 29.28" (0317)

At midnight obs - PCloudy, temperature 36.9°, Winds 12 WSW, Pressure at 29.78" and rising, relative humidity 64%, dew point of 26°.

Current observations at 0313 - PCloudy, temperature 32.7°, Winds 11 WSW, pressure at 29.86" and rising, relative humidity 58%, dew point 19°.

Radar is showing lots of snow flurries and snow showers to my west and north over much of New England, NY, PA, OH, and WV at this time. They tend to dry out as they go over the mountains and head towards my area, though there have been reports of flurries in my area this evening, though I have not observed any.

Sunrise: 0647 (EST) Sunset 1757 (EST) Moonphase: Waning Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, February 26, 2016
  •  

Friday was partly cloudy but with more sun than yesterday, still quite blustery, especially in the AM, and seasonably chilly, with high temps in the upper 30s and lows for the day recorded just before midnight tonight around the 30° mark. Winds have calmed down now and the temperature is dropping nicely with the calm conditions, into the upper 20s at 3:45 AM and probably will be in the mid 20s by sunrise on Saturday. Continued sunny skies with moderating temperatures (highs in the mid 40s Saturday, upper 50s Sunday - lows in the low 30s Saturday night but in the mid 40s Sunday night) as we finish up February with a sunny and mild day (upper 50s again) on Leap Year Monday and head into the first day of March in that similar pattern, with highs around 60° on Tuesday with mostly sunny skies, then low 40s by night. Thereafter showers and cooler weather towards the end of the first week of March.

Friday precipitation: 0
2016 YTD recipitation: 9.09"

High temp 39.1° (1514)
Low temp 30.2° (2335) 
Obs temp 30.2°
Peak wind gust 24 WNW (0854)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 67% (0035) to a low of 39% (1343)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 14°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19" (2356) to 29.77" (0007)

At midnight obs - PCloudy, temperature 30.2°, Winds 1 N, Pressure at 30.19" and steady, relative humidity 56%, dew point of 16°.

Current observations at 0344 - temperature 28.3°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.19" and steady, relative humidity 64%, dew point 18°.

Radar is showing some scattered light snow flurries to my west and north over parts of OH, PA, and WV slowly dying out in the lesser flow.

Sunrise: 0645 (EST) Sunset 1758 (EST) Moonphase: Waning Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, February 27, 2016
  •  

Saturday was partly cloudy (cumulus clouds at times mostly) but with plenty of sun, with lighter winds temperatures moderated from the mid 20s in the early AM up into the mid 40s by the afternoon. With no winds and still dry air, the temperature is dropping nicely with the calm conditions, into the upper 20s at 3:30 AM and probably will be in the mid 20s again by sunrise on Sunday. Continued sunny skies with moderating temperatures (highs in the lower 60s Sunday - lows in the mid 40s Sunday night) as we finish up February with a sunny and mild day (upper 50s) on Leap Year Monday, lows in the upper 30s. On the first day of March, highs in the lower 60s on Tuesday with mostly sunny skies, then showers (60 POP) on both Tuesday night and Wednesday, lows and highs in the 40s. Cooler and drying out briefly on Thursday, with high temps in the mid 40s, then on Thursday night and Friday cooler still with a 50 POP for rain or snow, highs in the low 40s, lows in the 30s. Too far out right now to determine type of precipitation that will fall. Stay tuned for further developments.

Saturday precipitation: 0

High temp 46.7° (1644)
Low temp 26.1° (0704) 
Obs temp 32.4°
Peak wind gust 12 WSW (1454)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 76% (0721) to a low of 40% (1505)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 26° to 16°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.21" (0834) to 30.06" (1636)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 32.4°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.09" and falling, relative humidity 72%, dew point of 24°.

Current observations at 0357 - temperature 28.9°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.06" and falling, relative humidity 82%, dew point 24°.

Radar is showing some scattered light snow flurries/showers well to the north over parts of Northern New England, off the coast of Maine, and well up north in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (UP). to my west and north over parts of OH, PA, and WV slowly dying out in the lesser flow.

Sunrise: 0644 (EST) Sunset 1759 (EST) Moonphase: Waning Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, February 28, 2016
  •  

Sunday was mostly sunny, with strong southerly winds temperatures warmed from the upper 20s in the early AM to the mid 60s by mid afternoon. With clouds and warm, light southerly breezes temps are not dropping off much tonight, still in the low 50s at 3 AM early this Monday morning. we finish up February with a cloudy morning with a 40 POP for showers, then sunny in the afternoon with continued mild temps (around 60) , lows in the upper 30s. On the first day of March, highs in the upper 50s on Tuesday with mostly sunny skies, then showers (50-60 POP) on both Tuesday night and Wednesday, lows and highs in the upper 40s to lower 50s. Cooler and drying out briefly on Thursday, with high temps in the low 40s, then on Thursday night and Friday cooler still with a 30 POP for rain or snow, highs in the upper 30s, lows around 30°. Too far out right now to determine type of precipitation that will fall but the chances have gone down since yesterday. Stay tuned for further developments.

Sunday precipitation: 0

High temp 65.5° (1523)
Low temp 28.6° (0651) 
Obs temp 56.4°
Peak wind gust 15 SW (1524)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0801) to a low of 31% (1527)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 36° to 23°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09" (0000) to 29.78" (2354)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 56.4°, Winds 8 WSW, Pressure at 29.78" and falling, relative humidity 41%, dew point of 33°.

Current observations at 0347 - Cloudy,temperature 52.4°, Winds 11 W, pressure at 29.68" and falling, relative humidity 49%, dew point 34°.

Radar is showing light showers over much of Ohio at this time, also western NY state and far NW PA. Moving this way,but losing their intensity over the mountains.

Sunrise: 0642 (EST) Sunset 1800 (EST) Moonphase: Last Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, March 1, 2016
  •  

On the first day of the month of March, it was mostly sunny and mild most of the day, not quite as windy, with temps reaching the mid 60s after an early AM min just a tad above the freezing mark. Tonight temps have remained mild, in the 50s, with some light showers coming through after midnight totaling 0.08" on my VP2. Wednesday should be sunny, still windy at times and colder, with high temps in the low 40s. Wednesday night clear, diminishing winds, with lows in the mid 20s. Sunny and cold on Thursday with highs around 40°. A 60 POP for snow or rain at the start on Thursday evening, changing over to snow after midnight. Friday should be cloudy with a 40 POP for either rain or snow, with high temps in the low 40s. Staying seasonable over the weekend with possible snow flurries during the day on Saturday, sunny and milder on Sunday. Warming trend continues next week, temps in the 50s then 60s and possibly 70s by mid-week.

Tuesday precipitation: 0
March total precipitation: 0.00"
2016 YTD precipitation: 9.09"

High temp 64.7° (1337)
Low temp 32.6° (0650) 
Obs temp 59.4°
Peak wind gust 17 SE (1325)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0723) to a low of 29% (1343)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 48° to 28°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12" (0838) to 29.53" (2349)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 59.4°, Winds 8 WSW, Pressure at 29.54" and falling, relative humidity 66%, dew point of 48°.

Current observations at 0343 - Cloudy, temperature 52.1°, Winds 3 WSW, pressure at 29.58" and rising, relative humidity 71%, dew point 43°.

Radar is showing our showers from earlier moving NE over the MD eastern Shore and NJ, along with lots of rain and mostly snow over much of NY and New England, plus snow showers over OH and neighboring states, on the back side of our strong cold front that came through earlier.

Sunrise: 0639 (EST) Sunset 1802 (EST) Moonphase: Last Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, March 2, 2016
  •  

On Wednesday, skies were cloudy during the overnight with light showers a bit after midnight, then it cleared out on strong NW flow with dropping temps from around 60° at midnight through the 50s and the 40s and into the 30s before sunrise, rising only up to 40.1° at 1500 then back into the 30s in the late afternoon and through the evening, now in the upper 20s early on this Thursday morning. Winds were pretty strong at times, lowering the wind chill down into winterlike levels once again. We should reach the mid 20s by sunrise on Thursday morning. Sunny and cold on Thursday morning with highs around 40°, but becoming cloudy in the afternoon with a 40 POP for rain or snow, turning to all snow by evening, with 1-3 inches of snow expected (90 POP) and a low of around 30. . A 90 POP for continued light snow or rain on Friday morning, with high temps in the low 40s. Partly cloudy Friday night, dry, lows in the upper 20s. Cloudy on Saturday and remaining cold with highs in the mid 40s, then down in the lower 30s on Saturday night with a 30 POP for snow. Becoming sunny and milder on Sunday, with highs in the upper 40s, lows in the 30s, then a mild week ahead with rising high temps in the 50s, 60s, and even possibly 70s by mid-week.

Wednesday precipitation: 0.07" (LR) 0.08" (VP2)
March total precipitation: 0.07"
2016 YTD precipitation: 9.16"
March total snowfall: 0.0"

High temp 60.6° (0101) P.M. Max temp 40.1° (1500)
Low temp 29.0° (2339) 
Obs temp 29.2°
Peak wind gust 25 WNW (0856)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0213) to a low of 41% (1502)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 15°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.21" (2314) to 29.53" (0025)

At midnight obs - PCloudy, temperature 29.2°, Winds 4 WSW, Pressure at 30.20" and falling, relative humidity 58%, dew point of 16°.

Current observations at 0354 - PCloudy, temperature 28.1°, Calm winds, pressure at 30.22" and rising, relative humidity 62%, dew point 16°.

Radar is showing light snow out in parts of Midwest- in areas of IN and IL, a bit of KY - may or may not be reaching the ground.

Sunrise: 0638 (EST) Sunset 1803 (EST) Moonphase: Last Quarter

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, March 3, 2016   On Thursday, we had a cold, clear start with early AM temps in the mid 20s, then warmed up some to the low 40s as clouds increased in the afternoon. Cloudy skies in the evening with light snow starting to fall around 2000. Snow has been sticking to car tops and grass, but not on sidewalks and roads. Temps have dropped from the mid 30s to just below freezing at 0300 (31.8°). Snow has been somewhat intermittent, but mostly it has been light, though with occasional bursts of big flakes that have been really pretty to watch fall from the sky. No more accumulation expected as the snow will get out of here within the next few hours. We do have a winter weather advisory posted for now through 10 AM. It probably will be taken down before then. A 70 POP for snow overnight, then a 50 POP through late morning. Cloudy on Friday with highs in the mid 40s, lows in the upper 20s to low 30s. Saturday should be cloudy with a 30 POP for rain showers during the day, with highs in the mid 40s, lows in the 30s Saturday night with a 50 POP for rain or snow showers as another clipper system works its way quickly through the area. Sunday should turn mostly sunny with highs in the upper 40s, lows in the 30s. A milder to warm week ahead with rising high temps in the 50s, 60s, and 70s by Wednesday. Lows progressively milder also under mostly sunny/clear skies.

Thursday precipitation: 0.05" (LR) 0.00" (VP2 - snow hasn't melted to flow as water through the spoons)
March total precipitation: 0.12"
2016 YTD precipitation: 9.21"
Snow/ice on ground at observation tonight: 1.0"
March total snowfall: 0.8"
2016 YTD snowfall: 37.1"
2015-16 seasonal snowfall total: 37.1"

High temp 41.2° (1437)
Low temp 25.7° (0705) 
Obs temp 32.0° (light snow falling)
Peak wind gust 8 E (1817)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 91% (2348) to a low of 40% (1440)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 30° to 16°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34" (0934) to 30.14" (2351)

At midnight obs - Cloudy/light snow, temperature 32.0°, Winds 2 ENE, Pressure at 30.14" and falling, relative humidity 91%, dew point of 30°.

Current observations at 0324 - Cloudy/light snow, temperature 31.8°, Calm winds, pressure at 30.05" and falling, relative humidity 92%, dew point 30°.

Radar is showing light snow over our area, but with clearing not far to our W/SW. Light snow still over parts of OH and PA, and more so off to the NE over NJ, NY and southern New England at this time.

Sunrise: 0636 (EST) Sunset 1804 (EST) Moonphase: Waning Crescent

Archived