• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, May 2, 2016

• Monday warmed up in the afternoon after a cloudy, damp morning with a few light showers. Partly cloudy skies drove the temperature up into the upper 70s, the warmest day in about a week. It also fueled the atmosphere where the air and dew point temperature in the morning were virtually the same, and dew points rose into the upper 60s in the afternoon when the temps were in the upper 70s. Storms and showers were moving in from the SW, and a severe thunderstorm watch was posted for our area till 10 PM. Showers started to fall in the evening, then a big thunderstorm commenced around 8 PM with heavy rain, frequent lightning and rumbling thunder. Winds weren't very strong, staying under 10 MPH during the storm according to my VP2 anemometer. Large hail was reported falling within 5-10 miles of my house to the SE in some of the Potomac/Rockville areas, with hail to 3 inches in diameter. But I continue to be a lousy hail observer and didn't see any fall at my station. I did get a nice rain rate of 5.54"/hour at 2010. Rain continued to fall, gradually lightening, till it finally stopped around 2300. Temps dropped with the storms from the upper 70s into the low 60s. They are still in the low 60s right now at 4 AM. Mostly cloudy on Tuesday and the rest of the week with high temps in the mid-upper 60s and lows in the upper 40s to low 50s with an 80 POP for showers on Tuesday, then a 50 POP on Wednesday, then a 40-50 POP for showers the rest of the week through Friday. We look to have a mostly sunny weekend, with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s but still with a 30 POP for showers on Sunday. Then sunny on Monday with similar temperatures so perhaps we will be shaking this wet pattern after all.

The weather underground link to my station data is:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=K...
My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)
My data can also be found at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Monday precipitation: 1.58" (LR) 1.34" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 5.54" @ 2010
April total precipitation: 1.79"
May total precipitation: 2.25"
2016 YTD precipitation: 15.00"

Other data for Monday is as follows:
High temp 78.2° (1746)
Low temp 53.7° (0452)
Obs temp 61.7° (70.8° on RS)
Peak wind gust 10 E (1622)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0628) to a low of 69% (1705)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 53°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04" (0107) to 29.83" (1819)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 61.7°, Winds 1 NE, Pressure at 29.88" and steady, relative humidity 96%, dew point of 61°.

Current observations at 0414 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 61.8° (RS - 70.7°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.82" and falling, relative humidity 98%, dew point 61°.

Radar is showing a large area of showers and thunderstorms to the south of DC over parts of VA and the Eastern Shore of Maryland moving NE. Also a large area of rain is over NE PA, much of NJ, SE NY, and into southern New England at this time. There are lighter showers out in parts of WV and KY that may affect us on Tuesday later in the morning or in the afternoon. Nothing severe, just showers most likely.

Sunrise: 0608 (EDT) Sunset 2003 (EDT) Moonphase: Waning Crescent

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, May 3, 2016
  •  

Tuesday cooled down with cloudy, damp conditions returning. Temperatures held mostly in the 60s all day, dropping into the upper 50s in the evening. Very light overnight shower activity, then some late evening slightly more significant rainfall activity but nothing like the Monday night action. Temperatures are in the mid 50s right now at 3:15 AM. Mostly cloudy on Wednesday and the rest of the week with high temps in the 60-65° range with lows in the upper 40s to low 50s with an 80 POP for showers on Wednesday (mostly morning), then a 60 POP for showers on Thursday and Friday. We look to have a mostly sunny weekend, with highs in the 70-75° range with lows in the upper 40s to mid 50s but still with a 30 POP for showers on Saturday evening. Then sunny on Monday with similar temperatures so perhaps we will be shaking this wet pattern after all.

My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:

Tuesday precipitation: 0.23" (LR) 0.06" (VP2 - believe the gauge is blocked up again)
May total precipitation: 2.48"
2016 YTD precipitation: 15.23"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows:
High temp 69.5° (1538)
Low temp 57.1° (2357)
Obs temp 57.1° (RS thermometer is too far out of calibration for some reason to continue to report on for now)
Peak wind gust 11 NE (1517)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0259) to a low of 71% (1555)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 62° to 55°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.88" (0017) to 29.76" (1913)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 57.1°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.80" and falling, relative humidity 94%, dew point of 55°.

Current observations at 0338 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 55.1° (RS - 64.6°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.76" and falling, relative humidity 96%, dew point 54°. LR gauge precip since midnight 0.06"

Radar is showing our earlier showers moving off to the N and NE and over Eastern PA right now. Some shower activity scattered about parts of the eastern NC coastal area, and our next rain maker shows a line of showers running SSW-NNE out in parts of Michigan, Lake Michigan and Illinois at this time, moving in a general easterly direction.

Sunrise: 0607 (EDT) Sunset 2004 (EDT) Moonphase: Waning Crescent

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, May 4, 2016
  •  

Wednesday cooled down some more with cloudy, damp conditions as has gotten quite typical of late with this blocking pattern we are in. Temperatures held in the 50s all day. Light showers during the first few hours of the observing day fell with not much more at all thereafter. Temperatures are around 50° right now at 3:30 AM. Temps might drop into the upper 40s by Thursday sunrise. Mostly cloudy on Thursday and the rest of the week with high temps around 60° with lows in the upper 40s with a 70 POP for showers on Thursday, then a 90 POP for showers on Thursday night and Friday, 80 POP Friday evening. We look to be just cloudy with no rain expected on Saturday, highs in the upper 60s, then clearing out the rest of the weekend, with highs around 70° on Sunday with lows in the upper 40s to mid 50s but still with a 40 POP for clouds and showers on Saturday evening. Then sunny on Monday on Tuesday with high temps in the 70° - 75° range and lows in the upper 40s. Thereafter shower chances may return mid-week.

Wednesday precipitation: 0.07" (LR) 0.01" (VP2 - believe the gauge is blocked up again)
May total precipitation: 2.55"
2016 YTD precipitation: 15.30"

Other data for Wednesday is as follows:
High temp 59.4° (1514)
Low temp 52.7° (0759)
Obs temp 53.0° (RS thermometer is too far out of calibration for some reason to continue to report on for now)
Peak wind gust 10 NE (2002)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0209) to a low of 83% (1525)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 55° to 51°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.81" (0009) to 29.67" (1628)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 53.0°, Winds 4 NE, Pressure at 29.73" and rising, relative humidity 92%, dew point of 51°.

Current observations at 0401 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 50.5° (RS - 60.1°), winds 4 NNE, pressure at 29.71" and falling, relative humidity 94%, dew point 49°.

Radar is showing scattered light showers over the region apparently moving slowly NE, found mostly to the W and SW of my area over much of central and SW VA, parts of WV, OH, KY, TN and NC. Also a more general rain over a good portion of Maine and New Brunswick at this time, moving NE

Sunrise: 0605 (EDT) Sunset 2005 (EDT) Moonphase: Waning Crescent

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 5, 2016
  •  
  • Thursday was another cool one, with more cloudy, damp conditions as has gotten quite typical of late with this blocking pattern we are in. Temperatures held in the 50s once again all day. Dribbles of rain in light showers at some time during the day added a bit to the monthly total, and to keep our precipitation streak (of at least a trace) going at 8 days in a row now, and therefore every day so far in May. Longest streak of precipitation days since late December 2015 when I had 9 days in a row. We should tie that mark on Friday, but possibly not exceed it on Saturday but still possible (only a 30 POP during the day, and 40 POP in the evening/overnight). Temperatures are just above the 50° mark right now at 3:00 AM. Temps might drop into the upper 40s by Friday sunrise, with a 90 POP for rain, but radar doesn't look like we will get any rain overnight. Mostly cloudy on Friday with high temps in the mid 50s with lows in the upper 40s with a near 100 POP for rain during the day, a 90 POP Friday night, mostly in the evening hours. We look to be just partly cloudy with only a 30 POP for showers, mostly in the morning if at all, with highs in the upper 60s, mostly cloudy Saturday night, with a 40 POP for showers, mainly after midnight, with lows in the mid 50s. then clearing out the rest of the weekend, with highs in the upper 60s during the day on Sunday with mostly sunny skies and lows in the upper 40s Sunday night with clear skies. Then sunny on Monday with high temps in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s. More clouds than clear skies return Monday night through Thursday, partly cloudy to cloudy during the period, and a 30 POP for showers on Monday night increasing to a 50 POP by Wednesday with high temps warming up into the 70s, with lows in the 50s.

Thursday precipitation: 0.03" (LR) 0.01" (VP2 - believe the gauge is blocked up again)
May total precipitation: 2.58"
2016 YTD precipitation: 15.33"

Other data for Thursday is as follows:
High temp 55.9° (1642)
Low temp 49.7° (0550)
Obs temp 51.9° (RS thermometer is too far out of calibration for some reason to continue to report on for now)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 48°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.74" (0024) to 29.67" (1703)
Peak wind gust 13 NE (1018)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0446) to a low of 78% (1642)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 51.9°, Winds 1 NW, Pressure at 29.71" and steady, relative humidity 93%, dew point of 50°.

Current observations at 0333 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 51.3° (RS - 61.2°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.69" and falling, relative humidity 95%, dew point 50°.

Radar is showing the LOW pressure circulation very well in our region. On the east side on the Maryland Eastern Shore, Delaware and New Jersey and offshore in the Atlantic the showers are moving south to north, but west of me in parts of western PA, western MD, parts of WV and western VA, the showers are moving from north to south. And over parts of southern VA and northern NC the rain is falling with little movement south of the circulation. Rainfall does not appear to be coming into my immediate area overnight/for the next few hours other than possible sprinkles or drizzle at times.

Sunrise: 0604 (EDT) Sunset 2006 (EDT) Moonphase: New Moon

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 6, 2016
  •  

Friday was another cool one, with more cloudy, damp conditions but with much more rain than has been falling the past few days and the most since May 2. Temperatures held in the low 50s all day. Rain fell a good part of the AM and well into the afternoon. I finally got out to my VP2 tipping bucket rain gauge just after 4 PM today, and sure enough there was an accumulation of water in the cylinder that was blocked from draining by leaf litter and sticks that I had to clear out. It did indeed start recording immediately, as it was raining at the time and I got wet. Rain did lighten up soon after I performed this repair on the rain gauge, so the VP2 gauge missed most of the day's accumulation. So with our 1 inch of rain today I now have a precipitation days streak going at 9 days in a row now, also every day so far in May. Ties the longest streak of precipitation days in late December 2015 when I also had 9 days in a row. I have to research my records to look for a longer streak. I believe I will be getting more rain showers overnight/in the AM on Saturday and get the streak up to 10 straight days. The current temperature at 2:45 AM EDT is right at 50° so we should get into the upper 40s by Saturday sunrise, with a 60 POP for rain overnight but then only a 30 POP for showers during the rest of Saturday, particularly in the PM hours. We look to be just partly cloudy by the afternoon and actually start seeing the sun, which we haven't really had much of a chance to do so far this month. High temps should reach the upper 60s, mostly cloudy Saturday night, with a 30 POP for showers with lows in the low 50s. Mostly sunny skies on Mother's Day Sunday with highs in the upper 60s during the day with partly cloudy skies and lows around 50° Sunday night. Then partly sunny on Monday with high temps in the upper 60s then lows at night in the mid 50s and cloudy and a 30 POP for showers. Tuesday through to the end of the week we should see more clouds than clear skies , highs from 70° later in the week to upper 70s on Tuesday and Wednesday, lows mostly in the 50s to lower 60s, with a 30-50 POP (mostly a 50 POP) for showers at times.

Friday precipitation: 1.01" (LR) M" (VP2 - unblocked gauge but a very incomplete reading for the day)
May total precipitation: 3.59"
2016 YTD precipitation: 16.34"

Other data for Friday is as follows:
High temp 53.5° (1210)
Low temp 50.8° (2120)
Obs temp 51.0° (RS thermometer is too far out of calibration for some reason to continue to report on for now)
Peak wind gust 10 NNW (1250)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (2228) to a low of 93% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 50°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.75" (2351) to 29.68" (0400)

At midnight obs - Cloudy/drizzle, temperature 51.0°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.75" and rising, relative humidity 98%, dew point of 51°.

Current observations at 0317 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 49.7° (RS - 60.3°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.76" and steady, relative humidity 97%, dew point 49°.

Radar is still showing the LOW pressure circulation pretty well in our region. The center is pretty much right over my area, with a small area of light rain concentrated within the approximate center of the circulation. Widely scattered showers are showing circulating counterclockwise around this center, from out in the Atlantic Ocean to the east off of the NJ, DE and MD coast to the WV, western MD, and PA mountains to the north and west. The action is a lot lighter than earlier, and it is slowly moving away, off to the E and NE of our area at this time.

Sunrise: 0603 (EDT) Sunset 2007 (EDT) Moonphase: New Moon

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 7, 2016

Saturday was milder, mildest day since last Tuesday, and first time out of the 50s for max temps since that same Tuesday, May 3. We also finally saw the sun again, first time since Monday, May 2. Clouds hung around in the morning and we did get a light shower. Temperatures made it up to the upper 60s after a slow start in the upper 40s and slowly climbing through the 50s as clouds slowly broke up mid-day into the afternoon. By evening we were clear. With the 0.02" of rain on Saturday I now have a precipitation days streak going at 10 days in a row now, also every day so far in May. This breaks the longest streak of precipitation days of 9 days set back in late December 2015 and also December 2014 when I also had 9 days in a row. I started to research my records earlier tonight to look for a longer streak. The records since January 2013 did not yield a longer streak than these 2 9 day streaks the past 2 December. I have started to get more rain showers overnight/in the early AM on Sunday to get the streak up to 11 straight days. The current temperature at 3:45 AM EDT is in the mid 50s. We should make it into the low 50s by Sunday sunrise, with a 60 POP for rain overnight but then only a 20 POP for isolated showers in the AM hours if at all on Mother's Day Sunday. We look to be mostly sunny by the afternoon and really see the sun, with high temps reaching the upper 60s under some fresh breezes at times. Mostly clear skies with lows in the upper 40s on Sunday night. Then partly cloudy to cloudy on Monday with high temps in the upper 60s then lows at night in the upper 50s and cloudy and a 30 POP for showers. Tuesday through to the end of the week we should see more clouds than clear skies , highs in the low to mid 70s generally, lows mostly in the 50s to lower 60s, with a 40-50 POP (mostly a 50 POP) for showers at times.

Saturday precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.02" (VP2 - unblocked now and seems to be working)
May total precipitation: 3.61"
2016 YTD precipitation: 16.36"

Other data for Saturday is as follows:
High temp 68.2° (1829)
Low temp 49.3° (0509)
Obs temp 56.4° (RS thermometer is too far out of calibration for some reason to continue to report on for now)
Peak wind gust 9 NNW (1128)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0000) to a low of 54% (1833)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 49°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.83" (1137) to 29.74" (0142)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 56.4°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.76" and steady, relative humidity 86%, dew point of 52°.

Current observations at 0413 EDT - Cloudy, showers around the area,  temperature 54.7° (RS - 65.3°), winds 1 WSW, pressure at 29.69" and falling, relative humidity 93%, dew point 53°.

Radar is showing a few scattered areas of showers in the mid-Atlantic region, including one over parts of Montgomery County and the DC area at the present time. Other areas can be found in parts of PA and VA. Moving SE, they all should clear the region by sunrise or just thereafter.

Sunrise: 0602 (EDT) Sunset 2008 (EDT) Moonphase: New Moon

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, May 8, 2016
  •  

Sunday featured similar temperatures for highs and lows compared with Saturday, but the big change was in the amount of cloudiness/sun. We had a mostly sunny day most of the day, till we started to get high clouds in towards the late afternoon and evening. We did have a brief shower in the early AM. Temperatures made it up into the upper 60s after a start in the 50s With another 0.02" of rain in the gauge on Sunday, I now have a precipitation days streak going at 11 days in a row, also every day so far in May. This extends the longest streak of precipitation days. I did not get a chance to research my records earlier tonight to look for a longer streak any further than what little I did on Saturday. There is 30 POP for rain showers on Monday, so if I get something on Monday, I have a good chance to really extend the streak, with better chances of rain each day this week starting on Tuesday. The current temperature at 3:30 AM EDT is in the mid 40s, about 10° cooler than this time last night. We should make it down to around 40° by Monday sunrise, with no chance of rain overnight but then only a 30 POP for scattered showers on Monday. We look to be mostly cloudy, with high temps reaching the mid 60s. Mostly cloudy skies with lows in the low 50s on Monday night with a continued 30 POP for showers. Tuesday through to the end of the week we should see partly cloudy to cloudy skies, highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s (depending on how much sun we get each day), lows mostly in the 50s to lower 60s, with a 40-60 POP (mostly a 50 POP) for showers at times during the day. Saturday looks wet at this point, but Sunday looks to be sunny as of now.

Sunday precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.01" (VP2 - remaining unblocked as I checked it this afternoon but I lost the screen)

May total precipitation: 3.63"
2016 YTD precipitation: 16.38"

Other data for Sunday is as follows:
High temp 69.7° (1613)
Low temp 50.9° (2359)
Obs temp 50.9° (RS thermometer is too far out of calibration for some reason to continue to report on for now)
Peak wind gust 22 WSW (1231)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0802) to a low of 27% (1729)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 33°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04" (2345) to 29.68" (0336)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 50.9°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and rising, relative humidity 71%, dew point of 42°.

Current observations at 0352 EDT - Clear, temperature 44.5° (RS - 52.5°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.06" and rising, relative humidity 86%, dew point 41°.

Radar is showing a few scattered areas of snow falling up in far northern ME and adjoining New Brunswick and far northern NY State. Rain showers are falling in parts of Illinois and Indiana, along with more widely scattered, lighter showers in parts of KY and TN at this time.

Sunrise: 0601 (EDT) Sunset 2009 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing Crescent

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, May 9 2016
  •  
  • Monday featured cooler temperatures for highs and lows compared with Sunday, and we also got back into the clouds, with mid-day light rain showers. Temperatures made it up into the low 60s after a cool start in the low 40s as we were clear overnight before the clouds came in ahead of the mid-day light showers. With another 0.08" of rain in the gauge on Monday, I now have a precipitation days streak going at 12 days in a row including every day so far in May. This extends the longest streak of precipitation days. I did not get a chance to research my records earlier tonight to look for a longer streak any further than what little I did on Saturday. I am trying to compile and post my April data, and still working on it. The current temperature at 3:30 AM EDT is in the mid 50s, about 10° warmer than this time last night. We should make it down to only the low 50s by Tuesday sunrise, with little chance of rain overnight according to what I am seeing on radar, despite a forecast for a 50 POP for rain overnight. Tuesday looks to be cloudy with rain in the morning and a chance of showers in the afternoon, highs in the low 60s, a 90 POP for rain. Tuesday night there is a near 100 POP for rain showers with a slight chance for a thunderstorm, lows in the mid 50s. Wednesday should be cloudy, highs in the upper 60s, with a 60 POP for showers/ drizzle. On Wednesday night, lows in the upper 50s, a 40 POP for showers/drizzle. Thursday cloudy with highs in the low 70s and a chance for drizzle. Thursday night cloudy with a 50 POP for showers, lows around 60°. Friday cloudy with showers likely (60 POP) and possibly a thunderstorm with highs in the lower 70s. Partly cloudy Friday night and dry, lows in the mid 50s. On Saturday, cloudy with highs in the upper 60s with a 50 POP for showers, then Saturday night partly cloudy, lows in the upper 40s, then on Sunday mostly sunny with high temperatures in the mid 60s -perhaps a totally dry day and a for sure end (if it doesn't occur before) to the precipitation days streak.

Monday precipitation: 0.08" (LR) 0.03" (VP2)
May total precipitation: 3.71"
2016 YTD precipitation: 16.46"

High temp 61.6° (1754)
Low temp 42.8° (0607)
Obs temp 56.7°
Peak wind gust 8 W (1302)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (1516) to a low of 66% (1001)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 57° to 40°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.18" (1203) to 30.03" (0010)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 56.7°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.15" and rising, relative humidity 92%, dew point of 55°.

Current observations at 0358 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 55.1° (RS - 61.9°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.18" and rising, relative humidity 94%, dew point 54°.

Radar is showing rain and rain showers out to my W and SW in parts of VA, WV, OH and western PA, moving this way. It will take a few hours and rain should be holding off till after sunrise, though we may get some drizzle at times overnight.

Sunrise: 0600 (EDT) Sunset 2010 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing Crescent

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, May 10, 2016
  •  
  • Tuesday featured similar high temperatures compared with Monday, but the lows were warmer with a full cloud cover to put a hold on the temperature drop last night. We had a bit of light rain showers during the day, but most of today's rain fell in the late evening. Temperatures made it up into the low 60s after the milder start in the low 50s under much more clouds. With another 0.11" of rain in the gauge on Monday, I now have a precipitation days streak going at 13 days in a row including every day so far in May. This extends the longest streak of precipitation days I have had, perhaps in my entire 37 year period of record (POR). I did not get a chance to research my records earlier tonight to look for a longer streak any further than what little I did on Saturday. I am still working on compiling and posting my April data, and still working on it. The current temperature at 3:45 AM EDT is in the low 50s, a bit cooler than this time last night. We should make it down to around 50° by Wednesday sunrise, with only a bit of a chance of rain overnight according to what I am seeing on radar, as storms and showers over parts of WV and central to SW VA head this way but may miss us to the south, or may weaken into nothing by the time they reach my area. So far nothing has fallen since midnight. Wednesday should be cloudy, highs in the mid 60s, with only a 30 POP for showers/drizzle. On Wednesday night, lows in the upper 50s, only a 20 POP for showers/drizzle. So my streak may end on Wednesday. On Thursday cloudy with highs around 70° and a chance for drizzle and light showers in the morning (30 POP). Thursday night cloudy with a 50 POP for showers, lows around 60°. Friday cloudy with showers likely (60 POP) and possibly a thunderstorm with highs in the lower 70s. Partly cloudy Friday night and dry, lows in the mid 50s. On Saturday, cloudy with highs in the upper 60s with a 50 POP for showers, then Saturday night partly cloudy, lows in the upper 40s, then on Sunday mostly sunny with high temperatures in the mid 60s - most likely a totally dry day and a for sure end (if it doesn't occur before) to the precipitation days streak. But the patterns have been quite changeable lately, and maybe the streak will continue.

Tuesday precipitation: 0.11" (LR) 0.07" (VP2) 0.79" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 2307
May total precipitation: 3.82"
2016 YTD precipitation: 16.57"

High temp 61.5° (1819)
Low temp 53.3° (2359)
Obs temp 53.3°
Peak wind gust 11 NNE (0817)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0154) to a low of 66% (1828)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 55° to 48°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.31" (1141) to 30.14" (0137)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 53.3°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.22" and falling, relative humidity 92%, dew point of 51°.

Current observations at 0409 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 52.2° (RS - 59.2°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.20" and steady, relative humidity 95%, dew point 51°.

Radar is showing rain showers out to my W and SW in parts of VA and WV, moving this way but may either peter out or miss us to my south. It will take a few hours to get here if it does and rain should be holding off till after sunrise.

Sunrise: 0559 (EDT) Sunset 2011 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing Crescent

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, May 11, 2016
  •  
  • Wednesday featured more cloudy skies, cool temperatures and light rain, mostly in the afternoon. High temperatures only made it up into the upper 50s after a start in the low 50s. With another 0.26" of rain in the gauge on Wednesday, I now have a precipitation days streak going at 14 days in a row including every day so far in May. This extends the longest streak of precipitation days I have had, perhaps in my entire 37 year period of record (POR). I did not get a chance to research my records earlier tonight to look for a longer streak any further than what little I did on Saturday. I have finished compiling and posting my April data, many of you out there should have gotten the files on email a few minutes ago. The current temperature at 3:15 AM EDT is in the mid 50s, a bit milder than this time last night. We should make it down only into the low 50s at most by Thursday sunrise, with only a 20% chance of rain overnight according to the forecast and what I am seeing on radar. So far nothing has fallen since midnight. On Thursday cloudy with highs in the low 70s there is a chance for drizzle and isolated showers (20 POP). Thursday night cloudy with a 50 POP for showers, and possibly a thunderstorm, lows in the low 60s. Friday cloudy with showers likely (80 POP) with highs in the mid 70s. Showers likely with thunderstorms possible Friday night in the evening (60 POP) then clearing later, lows in the mid 50s. On Saturday, cloudy with highs around 70° with a 60 POP for showers, then Saturday night partly cloudy, lows in the upper 40s, then on Sunday mostly sunny with high temperatures in the mid 60s - most likely a totally dry day and a for sure end (if it doesn't occur before) to the precipitation days streak. But the patterns have been quite changeable lately, and maybe the streak will continue.

Wednesday precipitation: 0.26" (LR) 0.21" (VP2) 0.19" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1458
May total precipitation: 4.08"
2016 YTD precipitation: 16.83"

High temp 58.3° (1801)
Low temp 51.8° (0513)
Obs temp 57.2°
Peak wind gust 8 NE (0454)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1100) to a low of 92% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 51°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.25" (0443) to 30.16" (1945)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 57.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.18" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point of 56°.

Current observations at 0332 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 56.9° (RS - 65.1°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.16" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point 56°.

Radar is showing very light, very scattered rain showers spread out in the region, with nothing to speak of locally here in Montgomery County at this time.

Sunrise: 0558 (EDT) Sunset 2012 (EDT) Moonphase: First Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 12, 2016                                     NO RAIN!!!!!
  •  

Thursday was a big day - NO RAIN!!! Broke my streak of 14 days in a row! Still have to determine whether or not that is a record for my station. That will take a while to figure out. Thursday featured more cloudy skies, not as cool temperatures with a bit of sun filtering through the high clouds during part of the afternoon. High temperatures made it up into the upper 60s after a start in the mid 50s. The current temperature at 3:45 AM EDT is in the low 60s, milder than this time last night. We should make it down only around 60° by Friday sunrise, with a 40% chance of rain showers/drizzle overnight according to the forecast but what I see on radar would only lead me to believe at the slight possibility for drizzle only. So far nothing has fallen since midnight. On Friday cloudy with showers likely and even a possible thundershower (70 POP) with highs in the mid 70s. Mostly clear on Friday night with lows in the mid 50s. On Saturday, cloudy with highs around 70° with a 70 POP for showers, then Saturday night partly cloudy, lows in the upper 40s with a 70 POP for showers likely, then on Sunday mostly sunny with high temperatures in the low 60s - Then partly cloudy and chilly Sunday night with lows in the low 40s, possibly upper 30s in a few choice locations. Monday mostly sunny with highs in the mid 60s, lows Monday night in the upper 40s with clear skies. Tuesday through Thursday looks like more clouds than sun, with a 40 POP for showers, highs in the 60s on Tuesday warming to the 70s by Thursday, lows in the 40s on Tuesday to the 50s by Thursday.

Thursday precipitation: 0

High temp 69.1° (1627)
Low temp 56.6° (0539)
Obs temp 62.1°
Peak wind gust 11 E (1505)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0238) to a low of 78% (1535)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 56°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19" (0735) to 30.01" (2353)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 62.1°, Winds 2 E, Pressure at 30.01" and falling, relative humidity 93%, dew point of 60°.

Current observations at 0408 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 62.5° (RS - 72.1°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.90" and falling, relative humidity 95%, dew point 61°.

Radar is showing showers out in southern WV, SW VA, western parts of PA and NY extending northwards into Ontario at this time. They seem to be moving N/NE.

Sunrise: 0557 (EDT) Sunset 2013 (EDT) Moonphase: First Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 12, 2016                                     NO RAIN!!!!!
  •  

Thursday was a big day - NO RAIN!!! Broke my streak of 14 days in a row! Still have to determine whether or not that is a record for my station. That will take a while to figure out. Thursday featured more cloudy skies, not as cool temperatures with a bit of sun filtering through the high clouds during part of the afternoon. High temperatures made it up into the upper 60s after a start in the mid 50s. The current temperature at 3:45 AM EDT is in the low 60s, milder than this time last night. We should make it down only around 60° by Friday sunrise, with a 40% chance of rain showers/drizzle overnight according to the forecast but what I see on radar would only lead me to believe at the slight possibility for drizzle only. So far nothing has fallen since midnight. On Friday cloudy with showers likely and even a possible thundershower (70 POP) with highs in the mid 70s. Mostly clear on Friday night with lows in the mid 50s. On Saturday, cloudy with highs around 70° with a 70 POP for showers, then Saturday night partly cloudy, lows in the upper 40s with a 70 POP for showers likely, then on Sunday mostly sunny with high temperatures in the low 60s - Then partly cloudy and chilly Sunday night with lows in the low 40s, possibly upper 30s in a few choice locations. Monday mostly sunny with highs in the mid 60s, lows Monday night in the upper 40s with clear skies. Tuesday through Thursday looks like more clouds than sun, with a 40 POP for showers, highs in the 60s on Tuesday warming to the 70s by Thursday, lows in the 40s on Tuesday to the 50s by Thursday.

High temp 69.1° (1627)
Low temp 56.6° (0539)
Obs temp 62.1°
Peak wind gust 11 E (1505)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0238) to a low of 78% (1535)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 56°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19" (0735) to 30.01" (2353)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 62.1°, Winds 2 E, Pressure at 30.01" and falling, relative humidity 93%, dew point of 60°.

Current observations at 0408 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 62.5° (RS - 72.1°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.90" and falling, relative humidity 95%, dew point 61°.

Radar is showing showers out in southern WV, SW VA, western parts of PA and NY extending northwards into Ontario at this time. They seem to be moving N/NE.

Sunrise: 0557 (EDT) Sunset 2013 (EDT) Moonphase: First Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 13, 2016
  •  

Friday was another big day but I did have a light mid-day shower. The high temperature soared in the afternoon into the upper 70s, tying May 2 for the warmest day of the month so far. But still haven't reached 80° as yet this May - just a year ago in May 2015 I had 10 such days of 80° or more - and had 24 such days for the entire month. There was still a lot of clouds around, particularly during the mid-day when I had the light showers, but the sun filtered through the clouds pretty strongly during a good part of the afternoon to drive the temperature up. The overnight temps only dropped into the upper 50s but lowered a bit below that at midnight observation. The current temperature at 3:45 AM EDT is in the low 50s, cooler than this time last night. We should make it down to around 50° by Saturday sunrise, under clear skies. On Saturday, cloudy with highs in the lower 70s and an 80 POP for showers and possible thundershowers, then Saturday night partly cloudy, lows in the mid 40s with a 70 POP for showers likely and possible thundershowers, mainly in the evening. On Sunday mostly sunny, breezy and cooler with high temperatures in the upper 50s - Then partly cloudy, breezy and chilly Sunday night with lows around 40°. Monday mostly sunny with highs in the mid 60s, lows Monday night in the upper 40s with partly cloudy skies. Tuesday through Wednesday looks like more clouds than sun, with a 50-60 POP for showers on Tuesday and a 30 POP on Wednesday, with highs in the low 60s on Tuesday warming a bit to the upper 60s on Wednesday, lows in the 50s. Then mostly sunny skies the rest of the workweek, with highs in the upper 60s and lows in the low 50s.

Friday precipitation: 0.05" (LR) 0.02" (VP2) 0.02" Max rain rate @ 1200
May total precipitation: 4.13"
2016 YTD precipitation: 16.88"

High temp 77.7° (1823)
Low temp 57.2° (2358)
Obs temp 57.2°
Peak wind gust 17 WSW (1352)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0853) to a low of 44% (1837)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 51°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01" (0000) to 29.84" (1639)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 57.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.91" and rising, relative humidity 80%, dew point of 51°.

Current observations at 0410 EDT - Clear, temperature 51.4° (RS - 60.6°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.89" and falling, relative humidity 89%, dew point 48°.

Radar is showing rain over most of Maine and into parts of New Brunswick, also out in a good part of lower MI, parts of IN and OH, moving easterly.

Sunrise: 0556 (EDT) Sunset 2014 (EDT) Moonphase: First Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 14, 2016
  •  

Saturday was a transitional day with warm, sunny skies in the AM then clouds and mid-afternoon showers associated with a strong cold frontal passage. Clearing in the evening with windy conditions at times, bringing in the colder air on the NW flow. Temps peaked out in the low 70s in the early afternoon before the clouds and showers came in, then the temperatures dropped the rest of the day. The current temperature at 4 AM EDT is in the upper 40s, quite a bit cooler than this time last night. We should make it down into the mid 40s by Sunday sunrise, under clear skies. On Sunday mostly sunny, breezy and cooler with high temperatures in the upper 50s - Then partly cloudy, breezy and chilly Sunday night with lows around 40°, breezes lessening late. Monday mostly sunny with highs in the mid 60s, lows Monday night in the upper 40s with partly cloudy skies then clouds after midnight with a 40 POP for showers. Tuesday through Wednesday looks like more clouds than sun, with a 50-60 POP for showers on Tuesday and a 40 POP on Wednesday, with highs in the low 60s on Tuesday warming a bit to the mid 60s on Wednesday, lows in the 50s. Then mostly sunny skies the rest of the workweek, with highs in the upper 60s to around 70° and lows in the 50s.

Saturday precipitation: 0.18" (LR) 0.18" (VP2) 0.33" Max rain rate @ 1522
May total precipitation: 4.31"
2016 YTD precipitation: 17.06"

High temp 72.7° (1352)
Low temp 49.0° (0631)
Obs temp 51.8°
Peak wind gust 23 WSW (1857)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0751) to a low of 46% (1400)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 60° to 41°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.92" (0047) to 29.71" (1634)

At midnight obs - Scattered clouds, temperature 51.8°, Winds 10 N, Pressure at 29.86" and rising, relative humidity 68%, dew point of 42°.

Current observations at 0418 EDT - Scattered clouds, temperature 47.8° (RS - 55.2°), winds 9 SSW, pressure at 29.92" and rising, relative humidity 70%, dew point 38°.

Radar is actually showing rain over parts of New England as they are still in the warmer air, but to my NW, over much of lower Michigan, and parts of NW PA and western NY light snow flurries/snow showers are falling, moving E and SE

Sunrise: 0556 (EDT) Sunset 2015 (EDT) Moonphase: First Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, May 15, 2016
  •  
  •  
  • Sunday was a cooler, breezy, sunny day with a colder night ahead tonight. Temperatures started out in the mid 40s, rising up with the sun only to about 60° in the later afternoon, then after the sun set temperatures dropped off nicely through the 50s and into the 40s by midnight, and now at 3 AM have dropped into the low 40s, even cooler than this time last night. We should make it down into the upper 30s by Monday sunrise, under clear skies. Some favorable areas in my region may even see a light frost, especially in the higher elevations to my west out in western Maryland, parts of WV, PA and western VA. I might add that some of these same areas, particularly the highest elevation spots, got a bit of snow late Saturday into Sunday. Monday mostly sunny with highs in the mid 60s, lows Monday night around 50° with partly cloudy skies then clouds after midnight and a slight chance of a shower (20 POP). Tuesday will be cloudy with an 80 POP for showers, highs in the upper 50s. Lows Tuesday night around 50° and still cloudy, with a 70 POP for showers. Wednesday will still be cloudy with a lesser 30 POP for showers and highs in the mid 60s, then partly cloudy Wednesday night with lows in the upper 40s. Then mostly sunny skies the rest of the workweek, with highs in the upper 60s to around 70° and lows in the low-mid 50s. Initial outlook for the weekend is more clouds than sun with seasonable temps around 70° and a 40 POP for showers.

Sunday precipitation: 0

High temp 59.8° (1635)
Low temp 45.6° (0649)
Obs temp 46.4°
Peak wind gust 21 WSW (1309)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 77% (0148) to a low of 33% (1801)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 42° to 29°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.14" (2349) to 29.86" (0006)

At midnight obs - Partly cloudy, temperature 46.4°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and rising, relative humidity 64%, dew point of 35°.

Current observations at 0325 EDT - Partly cloudy, temperature 41.7° (RS - 46.9°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.16" and steady, relative humidity 85%, dew point 38°.

Radar is showing light snow showers over parts of northern New England and northern New York, with light showers running through parts of southern IL and central MO. There is also a bit of mixed precipitation falling in parts of the upper peninsula of Michigan at this time.

Sunrise: 0555 (EDT) Sunset 2016 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, May 16, 2016

• Monday had a cool start, but not as cool as expected, as temps slowly rose after about 2 AM in the overnight and didn't reach the upper 30s as predicted, but rather just above 40°. During the sunny day, winds turned more southwesterly and brought in milder air, not too breezy but enough to advect the warmer air in to just about the 70° mark. Temps tonight are about 10° warmer than this time last night as at 3:30 AM they have dropped only into the mid 50s under now cloudy skies. We should make it down only a few more degrees (about 50°) by Tuesday sunrise, under the cloudy skies with rain moving in from the west soon after sunrise. Tuesday will be cloudy with a 90 POP for showers, highs in the upper 50s. Lows Tuesday night temperatures will be around 50° and still cloudy, with a 80 POP for rain/showers. Wednesday will still be cloudy with an 80 POP for showers, mainly in the morning, with highs in the low 60s, then partly cloudy Wednesday night with lows in the upper 40s. Then mostly sunny skies the rest of the workweek, with highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s and lows in the low-mid 50s. The weekend outlook is for more clouds than sun with seasonable temps in the mid-upper and a 50-60 POP for showers, lows at night in the mid 50s.

Monday precipitation: 0

High temp 69.8° (1811)
Low temp 40.8° (0215)
Obs temp 55.2°
Peak wind gust 15 WSW (1306)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (1801) to a low of 31% (1626)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 30°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.29" (0931) to 30.14" (0003)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 55.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.24" and steady, relative humidity 57%, dew point of 40°.

Current observations at 0351 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 53.4° (RS - 57.2°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.22" and falling, relative humidity 74%, dew point 45°.

Radar is showing light-moderate rain centered over most of the state of Kentucky right now, extending into border states like OH, WV, VA and TN as it moves easterly towards my area.

Sunrise: 0554 (EDT) Sunset 2017 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, May 17, 2016
  •  

Tuesday was another cool, cloudy day, with light rain falling roughly between 9 AM and 1 PM, temperatures remained in the low to mid 50s all day, our 6th day in May with max temps remaining in the 50s. Temps tonight are a bit cooler than last night, low 50s vs. mid 50s at 4 AM under just cloudy skies as we are in between rain systems right now. We should make it down only a few more degrees (upper 40s) by Wednesday sunrise, under the cloudy skies with rain moving in from the west within the next few hours from the W/SW. During the day on Wednesday it will remain cloudy with a 50 POP for rain or showers, with highs around 60°, then mostly cloudy on Wednesday night with a slight chance for rain (20 POP), with lows around 50°. Then partly cloudy skies on Thursday and Thursday evening, highs in the upper 60s with lows in the upper 40s.. Friday should be mostly sunny and a bit warmer, with highs in the lower 70s and lows in the mid 50s Friday evening with clouds returning and a 50 POP for showers. The weekend outlook is cloudy with rain, an 80 POP on Saturday, then a 50 POP the rest of the weekend. High temps in the mid-upper 60s, lows in the lower 50s.

My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)

Tuesday precipitation: 0.30" (LR) 0.20" (VP2) 0.13" max rain rate (MRR) @ 1157

May total precipitation: 4.61"
2016 YTD precipitation: 17.36"

High temp 55.4° (0011)
Low temp 50.9° (2350)
Obs temp 50.9°
Peak wind gust 5 N (1525)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (1227) to a low of 57% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 40°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.29" (0851) to 30.17" (1914)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 50.9°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.18" and falling, relative humidity 98%, dew point of 50°.

Current observations at 0422 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 51.8° (RS - 55.4°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.13" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point 51°.

Radar is showing light-moderate rain to my west over parts of OH, WV, western MD and PA, moving E/NE towards our area, but the bulk of it appears to be headed more for the rest of PA, NJ and NY. We will be on the southern fringe of the precipitation shield over the next several hours, probably getting here at dawn or sometime after that.

Sunrise: 0553 (EDT) Sunset 2018 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Wednesday was another cloudy day, not quite as cool as yesterday as max temps found their way up into the mid 60s after a night climbing through the 50s, with very light occasional sprinkles in the afternoon, but also a brightening of the sky as the overcast became thin in the late afternoon, but the cloud deck remained and I still never saw the sun. The expected measurable rain for today did not materialize, as the rain stayed north and west of me in other parts of MD, WV, and a lot of PA. Temps tonight are down in the mid 50s at 3 AM under cloudy skies. We should make it down only a few more degrees (around 50°) by Thursday sunrise, under the cloudy skies with technically a 40 POP for showers. but radar doesn't look good for any of this rain overnight. Partly cloudy skies on Thursday morning then turning sunny, with highs in the upper 60s with lows in the lower 50s.. Friday should be mostly sunny and a bit warmer, with highs in the lower 70s but becoming cloudy in the late afternoon with lows in the mid 50s Friday evening and a 70 POP for rain returning after midnight. Saturday looks rainy, a 90 POP, with highs in the upper 50s, then a 40 POP for showers Saturday evening, with lows in the upper 40s, then partly cloudy on Sunday with highs in around 70°, lows in the lower 50s. Sunny and warmer for the new workweek, highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s on Monday and Tuesday, lows in the 50s, with upper 70s approaching possibly our first 80s of the month on Wednesday, stay tuned on that development over the next few days.

Wednesday precipitation: T

High temp 64.2° (1552)
Low temp 50.9° (0000)
Obs temp 55.2°
Peak wind gust 14 NNE (1323)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0231) to a low of 49% (1613)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 44°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19" (0829) to 30.10" (1705)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 55.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and steady, relative humidity 76%, dew point of 48°.

Current observations at 0329 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 54.1° (RS - 58.5°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.13" and steady, relative humidity 85%, dew point 50°.

Radar is showing our rain showers moving offshore and up into southern New England, NY and off the NJ coast as very scattered very light activity. There are also a bit of shower activity down in the Carolinas, and also light showers over parts of central Illinois at this time.

Sunrise: 0552 (EDT) Sunset 2018 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 19, 2016
  •  

Thursday was a transitional day, cloudy, cool at first, but then lightened up in the afternoon with some sun peaking out of the now partly cloudy skies at times as temperatures warmed up into the mid 70s. Tonight skies are clear, and temperatures are falling once again, around 50° at 3 AM. Full Moon tonight, so with the clear skies a real nice evening. Temps should drop somewhere into the mid-upper 40s by sunrise on Friday. Friday should be mostly sunny with about the same temperatures as on Thursday, highs in the mid 70s. Clouding up on Friday night, lows in the low 50s, with a near 100 POP for rain after midnight as a storm moves in from the WSW. Saturday looks really rainy with a near 100 POP continuing, with highs in the upper 50s, then a continued threat for rain Saturday evening, still a 90 POP with lows in the lower 50s, then mostly cloudy on Sunday and partly cloudy on Monday with highs around 70° and a 40 POP for showers with lows in the mid 50s. Sunny and warmer Tuesday and the rest of the new workweek, highs in the mid 70s on Tuesday and upper 70s on Wednesday and Thursday, with a new 40 POP for showers coming into play on Thursday, with lows at night in the upper 50s to lower 60s.

High temp 75.2° (1552)
Low temp 53.2° (0000)
Obs temp 54.2°
Peak wind gust 8 NNW (0658)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0626) to a low of 39% (1754)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 47°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.22" (2312) to 30.12" (0307)

At midnight obs - Clear with a bright full moon, temperature 54.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and steady, relative humidity 84%, dew point of 50°.

Current observations at 0341 EDT - Clear, temperature 49.4° (RS - 52.9°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.22" and steady, relative humidity 91%, dew point 47°.

Radar is showing rain out of our area for now. The only rain is centered in much of NE Arkansas and southern Missouri, with a bit of activity sneaking over the state borders into far western TN and KY at this time.

Sunrise: 0552 (EDT) Sunset 2019 (EDT) Moonphase: Full Moon

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 20, 2016
  •  

Friday was a warm, sunny day for most of the day, with high temperatures once again reaching the mid 70s, which is about what the average high temperature is for this time of year. We had lows in the upper 40s in the early AM, but warmed quickly under the strong May sun. This evening we are transitioning once again into clouds as we have a wet weekend ahead, and cooler temperatures once again. Temperatures at 3:45 AM are in the low 60s, warmer than last night by over 10° with the warmer, more moist winds associated with the rain coming in within the next few hours. Lows tonight may reach the mid 50s but looks doubtful it will get that cool by sunrise on Saturday. During the day Saturday looks really rainy with a near 100 POP with highs in the upper 50s, then a continued threat for rain Saturday evening, a 60 POP for rain in the evening turning more showery after midnight with lows in the lower 50s, then mostly cloudy on Sunday with a 70 POP for showers, mainly in the afternoon, high temps in the lower 60s, then a 60 POP for showers on Sunday evening with lows in the lower 50s once again. Mostly cloudy on Monday with highs around 70° and a 40 POP for showers with lows in the mid 50s and just cloudy Monday night.. Sunny and warmer Tuesday and the rest of the new workweek, highs in the mid 70s on Tuesday, around 80° on Wednesday then low-mid 80s on Thursday and Friday, with a 30 POP for showers coming into play on Thursday and a 40 POP on Friday under partly cloudy skies, with lows at night in the low to mid 60s.

Friday precipitation: 0

High temp 75.1° (1649)
Low temp 47.4° (0602)
Obs temp 64.0°
Peak wind gust 11 ENE (1417)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0703) to a low of 35% (1441)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 43°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.31" (0936) to 30.18" (2357)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 64.0°, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 30.18" and falling, relative humidity 61%, dew point of 50°.

Current observations at 0407 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 59.2° (RS - 61.2°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.12" and falling, relative humidity 83%, dew point 54°.

Radar is showing rain advancing into our area from the W and SW over much of WV, western VA, OH, KY, TN at this time. It is a large area and should be over us in the next few hours and remain over us for most of the weekend.

Sunrise: 0551 (EDT) Sunset 2020 (EDT) Moonphase: Full Moon

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 21, 2016
  •  

Saturday was back to cool, cloudy, soggy conditions as we have had quite often earlier this month. The high temperature for the day was logged at midnight, then the temps went down as the precipitation moved in, and I remained in the 50s during the day and evening. I logged at PM max of only 54.8° @ 1405, then very slowly dropped off a bit thereafter into the lower 50s by evening. I had mostly AM rain showers, pretty light, with some evening drizzle observed at times. Drizzle and possible showers (50 POP) could fall the rest of the overnight, with temperatures falling to around 50° by sunrise Sunday morning. Cloudy on Sunday, highs in the upper 50s with an 80 POP for occasional rain/drizzle, mostly in the afternoon. Sunday night cloudy with a continued chance (70 POP) for rain/drizzle, lows in the low 50s. Monday should remain cloudy, highs in the upper 60s with lows in the mid 50s, a 60 POP for showers at times both during the day and in the evening. Partly sunny and warmer Tuesday with highs in the mid 70s, lows in the low-mid 50s, and then really warming up the rest of the new workweek, into the low-mid 80s Wednesday through Friday, with a 30 POP for showers and possible thunderstorms coming into play Thursday through Saturday. Low temperatures will be quite warm also, mostly in the mid-upper 60s. A first glimpse at Memorial Day weekend looks like it will be sunny to partly cloudy and warm with highs staying in the 80s and lows in the 60s. But that could change, stay tuned!

Saturday precipitation: 0.52" (LR) 0.29" (VP2) 0.23" Max rain rate @ 0743
May total precipitation: 5.13"
2016 YTD precipitation: 17.88"

High temp 64.0° (0000) PM Max 54.8° @ 1405
Low temp 52.9° (2056)
Obs temp 53.2°
Peak wind gust 11 NE (0851)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2319) to a low of 61% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 55° to 50°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.18" (0002) to 29.92" (2144)

At midnight obs - Cloudy/drizzle, temperature 53.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.92" and steady, relative humidity 97%, dew point of 52°.

Current observations at 0414 EDT - Cloudy/drizzle, temperature 52.6° (RS - 55.4°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.88" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point 52°.

Radar is showing rain moving off to the NE, in central PA, northern NJ, parts of southern New England and also offshore from Cape Cod at this time. Not much out there to my W and S that could be moving in here to my location overnight other than the spotty drizzle I have been getting tonight.

Sunrise: 0550 (EDT) Sunset 2021 (EDT) Moonphase: Full Moon

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, May 22, 2016
  •  

Sunday was another cool, cloudy, soggy day. Temperatures remained in the low-mid 50s during the day and evening. I had occasional rain showers, pretty light, most of the daylight hours with once again evening drizzle observed at times. A rain shower just came through after midnight. Drizzle and possible showers (70 POP) could fall the rest of the overnight, with temperatures falling into the low 50s by sunrise Monday morning. During the day Monday it should remain cloudy, highs around 70° with lows in the mid 50s, an 80 POP for showers and possibly a stray thundershower at times both during the day and in the evening. Partly sunny and warmer Tuesday with highs in the upper 70s, lows in the upper 50s, and then warming up the rest of the new workweek, mostly sunny and into the low 80s on Wednesday and mid-upper 80s on Thursday and Friday, with a 30 POP for showers and possible thunderstorms coming into play Thursday through Saturday. Low temperatures will be quite warm also, mostly in the mid-upper 60s. A first glimpse at the rest of Memorial Day weekend looks like it will be sunny to partly cloudy and warm with highs staying in the 80s and lows in the 60s. But that could change, stay tuned!

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&lastt=24&z=0)

My data can also be found athttp://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Sunday precipitation: 0.34" (LR) 0.24" (VP2) 0.11" Max rain rate @ 1014
May total precipitation: 5.47"
2016 YTD precipitation: 18.22"

High temp 56.5° (1636)
Low temp 51.9° (0646)
Obs temp 55.5°
Peak wind gust 10 NNW (0633)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (1019 to a low of 97% (0000) (One of the smallest ranges I have noticed ever)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 56° to 51°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.95" (2334) to 29.87" (0426)

At midnight obs - Cloudy/light rain, temperature 55.5°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and rising, relative humidity 97%, dew point of 55°.

Current observations at 0313 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 55.3° (RS - 60.4°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.93" and steady, relative humidity 98%, dew point 55°. 0.04" VP2 gauge catch since midnight.

Radar is showing rain moving off to the SW, a very unusual NE to SW direction, and shows mostly over central VA and areas to my south and southwest right now.

Sunrise: 0550 (EDT) Sunset 2022 (EDT) Moonphase: F.ull Moon

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, May 23, 2016        

Monday was another cool, cloudy, soggy day but not nearly as much so as the past few days. The high temperatures made it into the mid 70s in the afternoon with the sun coming out at times. Still had some overnight light showers, then late afternoon/early evening showers that came down from the N/NE, an unusual direction for showers to come in at this time of the year.  A rain shower came through just after midnight but only gave me a trace amount. Drizzle and possible showers (20 POP) still could fall the rest of the overnight, with temperatures falling into the mid 50s by sunrise Tuesday morning. Mostly sunny and warmer Tuesday with highs in the upper 70s, lows in the upper 50s, and then warming up some more the rest of the workweek, mostly sunny and into the low 80s on Wednesday and mid 80s Thursday through Saturday, with a 40 POP for showers and possible thunderstorms on Thursday and Thursday evening. Low temperatures will be quite warm also, mostly in the mid-upper 60s. Sunny and low 80s on Sunday, then upper 70s for high temps on Memorial Day Monday with a 40 POP for showers/storms under partly cloudy skies.  There is some hint of a coastal storm influencing our weather on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Stay tuned!

My data can also be found at:  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Monday precipitation: 0.13" (LR) 0.10" (VP2) 0.27" Max rain rate @ 1730

May total precipitation: 5.60"

2016 YTD precipitation: 18.35"

Other data for Monday is as follows:High temp 75.9° (1631)

Low temp  54.9° (0551)

Obs temp  58.1°

Peak wind gust 13 N (1400)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (0905) to a low of 45% (1630)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 62° to 52°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01" (2210) to 29.91" (1627)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 58.1°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and falling, relative humidity 94%, dew point of 56°.

Current observations at 0342 EDT - Partly Cloudy - moon visible through the broken clouds, temperature 56.4° (RS - 63.4°), winds Calm, pressure at 29.97" and falling, relative humidity 95%, dew point 55°.  

Radar is showing rain mostly now over parts of NJ, metro NY, and southern New England.  Light showers mostly.  There are some widely scattered light showers diminishing in size and intensity in our area, moving southward. Also there are some showers and thundershowers over portions of northern WI and NE MN at this time.   

Sunrise: 0549 (EDT) Sunset 2023 (EDT)  Moonphase: Waxing gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Tuesday started a new pattern we should have for the next several days. There were clouds overnight, the last leftovers from the old cool, cloudy, wet pattern we have been under with sprinkles observed in the very early AM hours just after yesterday's obs time at midnight. But by the daylight morning hours we had full sun that started to warm things up, and by the mid-afternoon we hit and went over the 80° mark, our first such day of the month. Tonight the sky is clear, and the temperatures have fallen into the upper 50s as of 3:30 AM. Under clear skies and light winds the temperature should fall a few more degrees by sunrise on Wednesday into the mid 50s. Sunny skies on Wednesday with high temperatures reaching the mid 80s, lows in the low 60s. Thursday should see more sunny skies with similar high temps, and a 30 POP for showers and thundershowers both during the day and in the evening, with lows overnight in the upper 60s. Friday should see a repeat of Thursday, highs in the mid 80s with a 30 POP for showers/storms. Lows on Friday night once again in the upper 60s. Drying out over the first part of the Memorial Day weekend, with high temps in the mid 80s on Saturday and no chance of rain, lows in the mid 60s. Partly sunny and low 80s on Sunday, then a chance for showers/storms Sunday night (30 POP) with lows in the low 60s, then low 70s for high temps on Memorial Day Monday with a 40 POP for showers/storms under mostly cloudy skies. A continued 40 POP for showers on Memorial Day Monday night with lows in the upper 50s, then on Tuesday another 40 POP for showers with cloudy skies and highs in the lower 70s, which will wrap up the wet month of possibly more rain, so what else is new? There still is a slight chance for a potential tropical system to come close to our area at this time, so stay tuned!

Tuesday precipitation: T (LR) 0.00" (VP2)

High temp 83.3° (1630)
Low temp 54.8° (0626)
Obs temp 62.3°
Peak wind gust 16 SW (1417)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0717) to a low of 34% (1748)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 50°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09" (2350) to 29.96" (0216)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 62.3°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.09" and rising, relative humidity 77%, dew point of 55°.

Current observations at 0354 EDT - Clear, temperature 57.0° (RS - 61.7°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.12" and steady, relative humidity 87%, dew point 53°.

Radar is clear over the Eastern United States north of Florida at this time. Most of the nation's activity is out in the Great Plains, where some monster storms hit on Tuesday, found in parts of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Oklahoma and Texas.

Sunrise: 0548 (EDT) Sunset 2024 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, May 25, 2016
  •  
  • Wednesday warmed up a few more degrees compared with Tuesday, edging closer to that infernal 90° mark. Warmest day of the year so far, hitting at 87.8° in the early evening. Temperatures started off in the mid 50s in the early AM, but full sun warmed us up all day into the 80s by the early afternoon. Tonight the sky is clear, and the temperatures have fallen some, just over the 60° mark at 3:30 AM. Under clear skies and light winds the temperature should fall a few more degrees by sunrise on Thursday into the upper 50s. Thursday should see more sunny skies with similar high temps, up in the mid 80s, with a 50 POP for showers and thundershowers both during the day and in the evening, with lows overnight in the upper 60s. Friday should see a repeat of Thursday, partly cloudy with highs in the mid 80s and a 30 POP for showers/storms both during the day and in the evening. Lows on Friday night once again in the upper 60s. Drying out over the first part of the Memorial Day weekend, with high temps in the mid 80s on Saturday and no chance of rain, lows in the mid 60s. Partly sunny and low 80s on Sunday with a 30 POP for showers/storms both during the day and the evening with lows in the low 60s, then upper 70s for high temps on Memorial Day Monday with a 50 POP for showers/storms under mostly cloudy skies. A continued 50 POP for showers on Memorial Day Monday night with lows around 60°, in the upper 50s, then on Tuesday another 40 POP for showers with cloudy skies and highs in the upper 70s, which will wrap up the wet month of May with possibly more rain.

Wednesday precipitation: 0

High temp 87.8° (1815)
Low temp 54.8° (0010)
Obs temp 65.3°
Peak wind gust 11 WSW (1539)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0738) to a low of 31% (1633)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19" (0820) to 30.09" (0002)

At midnight obs - Clear, temperature 65.3°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and steady, relative humidity 78%, dew point of 58°.

Current observations at 0358 EDT - Clear, temperature 59.7° (RS - 61.9°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.13" and steady, relative humidity 89%, dew point 57°.

Radar is showing showers over a good part of Michigan, extending southward lightly over parts of Eastern Indiana, then a bit heavier through central parts of Kentucky and Tennessee at this time. Slowly moving easterly I believe.

Sunrise: 0548 (EDT) Sunset 2024 (EDT) Moonphase: Waxing gibbous

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 26, 2016

Thursday heated up a few more degrees compared with Wednesday, finally hitting that infernal 90° mark. Again the warmest day of the year so far, hitting at 89.9° in the late afternoon. Temperatures started off in the upper 50s in the early AM, but a lot of strong sun warmed us up all day into the 80s by the early afternoon and virtually 90° around 1630. A 50 POP for showers/storms failed to materialize into any measurable precipitation on Thursday. Tonight the sky is partly cloudy, and the temperatures have not fallen much, still in the low 70s at 3:00 AM. The temperature should fall a few more degrees by sunrise on Friday, only into the upper 60s. Friday should see a repeat of Thursday, mostly sunny with highs in the upper 80s and once again a 50 POP for scattered showers/storms both during the day and in the evening. Lows on Friday night once again in the upper 60s. Drying out over the first part of the Memorial Day weekend, with high temps in the mid 80s on Saturday and no chance of rain, lows in the mid 60s. Partly sunny and low 80s on Sunday with a 30 POP for showers/storms during the evening with lows in the low 60s, then mid 70s for high temps on Memorial Day Monday with a 50 POP for showers/storms under mostly cloudy skies. Memorial Day Monday night should be mostly cloudy with lows in the low 60s, then on Tuesday another 30 POP for showers with cloudy skies and highs in the upper 70s, which will wrap up the wet month of May with possibly more rain. Partly sunny on Wednesday with highs in the mid 70s to start out the new month of June on a dry note.

High temp 89.9° (1626)
Low temp 58.1° (0621)
Obs temp 74.0°
Peak wind gust 9 WSW (1521)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0700) to a low of 44% (1648)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 56°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.16" (0753) to 30.02" (1755)

At midnight obs - PCloudy, temperature 74.0°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.06" and rising, relative humidity 76%, dew point of 66°.

Current observations at 0317 EDT - PCloudy, temperature 71.9° (RS - 73.4°), winds 1 SE, pressure at 30.07" and steady, relative humidity 81%, dew point 66°.

Radar is showing widely scattered light showers over parts of Eastern PA and parts of Northern New England right now. A more organized, heavier cluster of showers and storms can be found out in the Midwest, over MO, AR, IL and IA at this time. Michigan, extending southward lightly over parts of Eastern Indiana, then a bit heavier through central parts of Kentucky and Tennessee at this time. Slowly moving easterly I believe.

Sunrise: 0547 (EDT) Sunset 2023 (EDT) Moonphase: Waning gibbous (been reporting waxing earlier this week - Thanks John and Jeff for pointing this correction out!!)

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 27, 2016
  •  

Friday remained heated up to just about the same degree as Thursday (89.7° today, 89.9° yesterday) but felt more oppressive today with higher dew points and a warmer overnight, barely making it into the upper 60s in the early AM. So now I have 2 days of 90 or more for the month and the year. I am hoping that will be the last one of the month, but Saturday may hit 90 again but that should be it for the month at least. Once again there were some rain showers/storms in the region, particularly about 50 miles to my WNW up in the Hagerstown MD area, but nothing here. Tonight the sky is partly cloudy, and the temperatures have not fallen much, still in the low 70s at 3:00 AM. The temperature should fall a few more degrees by sunrise on Friday, only into the upper 60s. Saturday should see a repeat of Friday, mostly sunny with highs in the upper 80s but no real chance for a relieving shower or storm during the afternoon or evening. Lows on Saturday night in the mid 60s under partly cloudy skies. Cloudy on Sunday with high temps in the upper 70s with a 70 POP for showers, lows in the low 60s Sunday night with a continued 70 POP for showers. Low 80s for high temps on Memorial Day Monday with a 50 POP for showers/storms under mostly cloudy skies. Memorial Day Monday night should be mostly cloudy with lows in the low 60s, then on Tuesday and continuing the rest of the week, sunny skies with high temps in the mid-upper 70s, lows in the upper 50s to low 60s through Friday evening. So we start out the new month of June comfortably warm relatively speaking and dry, unlike how we started the month of May.

Friday precipitation: 0

High temp 89.7° (1640)
Low temp 67.2° (0616)
Obs temp 75.2°
Peak wind gust 9 WSW (1212)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0656) to a low of 52% (1646)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.11" (1023) to 30.03" (1753)

At midnight obs - PCloudy, temperature 75.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.11" and rising, relative humidity 75%, dew point of 68°.

Current observations at 0338 EDT - PCloudy, temperature 72.3° (RS - 74.1°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.10" and steady, relative humidity 85%, dew point 68°.

Radar is showing scattered showers over much of the eastern half of Michigan's Upper Peninsula and adjoining waters of Lake Superior. Also some activity over parts of Wisconsin and much of Iowa at this time.

Sunrise: 0547 (EDT) Sunset 2026 (EDT) Moonphase: Last Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 28, 2016
  •  
  • Saturday remained quite warm and humid like the past few days earlier this week, dew point range today was the same as yesterday unfortunately. We barely made it into the upper 60s again in the early AM. But it was slightly cooler on Saturday, so I didn't hit the 90 mark again. I should not get any more 90 days the rest of the month. There was a lack of showers/storms in the region this afternoon and evening. Tonight the sky is partly cloudy, and the temperatures have fallen a bit more on light easterly winds than the past few nights, in the mid 60s at 4:00 AM. The temperature should stay in the mid 60s by sunrise on Sunday. Cloudy on Sunday with high temps in the lower 80s with a 70 POP for showers/storms, a bit more likely in the afternoon rather than the morning. Sunday night cloudy with a 90 POP for showers/storms, especially after midnight. High temps on Memorial Day Monday around 80° with a 50 POP for showers/storms under mostly cloudy skies. Memorial Day Monday evening should be mostly cloudy with lows in the low 60s, then turning partly cloudy after midnight. Tuesday through Thursday should be mostly sunny with highs in the mid 80s on Tuesday then upper 70s on Wednesday and Thursday, lows in the 60° to 65° range. On Friday and Saturday mostly cloudy with a 40 POP for showers/storms, highs in the upper 70s, lows in the lower 60s.

Saturday precipitation: 0

High temp 89.1° (1614)
Low temp 68.6° (0628)
Obs temp 74.8°
Peak wind gust 10 E (1352)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 91% (0637) to a low of 45% (1813)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.18" (0937) to 30.09" (0216)

At midnight obs - PCloudy, temperature 74.8°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.16" and rising, relative humidity 70%, dew point of 64°.

Current observations at 0447 EDT - PCloudy, temperature 66.0° (RS - 67.8°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.15" and steady, relative humidity 88%, dew point 62°.

Radar is showing rain showers have started to come ashore from the tropical system "Bonnie" out of the SE Atlantic, in much of South Carolina and a good part of North Carolina, along with small part of SW VA, heading north. The storm is supposed to head NE, hugging the coast the last I have heard. There also are a few light showers up in northern New England and southern Quebec and Ontario.

Sunrise: 0546 (EDT) Sunset 2027 (EDT) Moonphase: Last Quarter

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, May 29, 2016
  •  

Sunday was partly to mostly cloudy, remaining warm and humid, but slightly cooler with more clouds. We even had some light showers, falling right when I was trying to grill steaks on the grill! The moisture from Tropical Storm Bonnie has started to come up the coast and pay us a visit, but more towards the coast then in my more inland location so far. Tonight the sky is cloudy, and the temperatures have fallen once again on light easterly winds, into the mid 60s now around 3:15 AM. The temperature should stay in the mid 60s by sunrise on Monday, with a 90 POP for showers overnight, though radar is not indicating them being very strong or widespread, particularly right in my immediate area. High temps on Memorial Day Monday around 80° with a 50 POP for showers/isolated storms under mostly cloudy skies. Memorial Day Monday evening should be mostly cloudy, only a 20 POP for isolated showers with lows in the low 60s. Tuesday through Thursday should be mostly sunny with highs in the mid 80s on Tuesday then lower 80s on Wednesday and upper 70s on Thursday with lows in the lower 60s. On Friday and Saturday partly to mostly cloudy with a 40 POP for showers/storms, highs in the upper 70s, lows in the lower 60s.

Sunday precipitation: 0.06"(LR) 0.00" (VP2 - must be blocked again)

May total precipitation: 5.66"
2016 YTD precipitation: 18.41"

High temp 84.0° (1434)
Low temp 65.0° (0556)
Obs temp 66.1°
Peak wind gust 10 ESE (2006)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (2251) to a low of 48% (1329)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 61°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.17" (0739) to 30.07" (2356)

At midnight obs - Cloudy, temperature 66.1°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.07" and falling, relative humidity 94%, dew point of 64°.

Current observations at 0346 EDT - Cloudy, temperature 66.3° (RS - 68.5°), winds Calm, pressure at 30.04" and falling, relative humidity 95%, dew point 65°.

Radar is showing most of the rain showers have moved into a good part of New England, NY, NJ and NE PA,moving NE. Widely scattered showers are found over parts of VA and NC but very light and spread out. Much of the rain is actually off and along the coastal sections of NC, VA and MD at this time.

Sunrise: 0546 (EDT) Sunset 2027 (EDT) Moonphase: Last Quarter

Archived