• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Solar Activity Picking Up

I think you are right about the Bz values in 2001/03- I think I saw one around -59 nT but we didn't have that data in March 1989 during a much more potent Gemag storm.. The magnetometer trace n the Gakona site went apes**t when that reversal hit. I think what may have happened is that the slower CME from the sympathetic X1 flare in region 1430 that occurred just after the X5 may have just hit. Apparently, a Full Halo has been produced by the M6.3 event that recently occurred.

Steve

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Aurora Australis was seen in New Zealand and Tasmania. Based upon the K numbers it should have been visible further south in the US than it was but photos indicate that the bright Moon was indeed a major problem. The CME from the M6.3 is due to arrive 11/0645Z ± 7 hours for another possible round assuming that it doesn't come in at the + 7 hour mark.

Steve

Looks like the northern lights are making a bit more headway southward. People outside of Toronto and definitely Ottawa now, should be able to see them. Along with a good chunk of Maine.

See link 2 posts above^

CME from the M6.3 event on the 9th is expected to arrive tonight. Meanwhile, a M8.4/XF LDE 10 Flare in region 1429 occurred at 1744Z and it was followed by a Full Halo CME-an earlier CME appears to be non Earth directed. With two possibly three CMEs on the way, the Geomagnetic field is going to be disturbed. The Moon though past Full is still a hinderance to seeing the aurora. Since we don't know the strength and polarity of the imbedded fields with a CMEs and won't until just before they hit it's not possible to tell which, if any, CME will cause storming or how strong. SWPC is going for G3 (K=7) which could range from barely above G2 (K=7-) to nearly G4 (K=7+) so observers above 40 degrees latitude (N or S) are alerted accordingly for the next three nights while those equatorward of 40 degrees should standby and monitor the gemag activity-especially the USAF network reports that come out every hour. BTW, during the brief K=8- activity with this last storm aurora was seen as far north as Latitude 33.3 degrees South-right idea but wrong Continent on my forecast that night.

Steve

SWPC says the CME is still to arrive as of 9 am, and they would've updated if it hit. Solar wind levels are indeed staying at low levels, though there's quite alot of oscillation in bz and bt. Kp has stayed below 3. Still goes we have a long way to go in forecasting these things if we missed a forecast by 17 hours now.

2012-03-11 15:07 UTC Solar Radiation Storm Declining, Awaiting Geomagnetic Storm

The coronal mass ejection associated with the R2 (Moderate) Radio Blackout that occurred at 0353 UTC March 9 (10:53 p.m. EST March 8) was expected to cause more geomagnetic storming beginning early on March 11, with intensities likely to reach the G3 (Strong) level. That CME hasn’t arrived as early as predicted, so stay tuned for updates as the day progresses. The coronal mass ejection associated with the R2 (Moderate) Radio Blackout event from 1744 UTC March 10 (12:44 p.m. EST March 10) should start to affect Earth late on March 12 to early on March 13, with intensities lower than those observed with the events of last week; forecast specifics are still in work. Meanwhile, the Solar Radiation Storm continues its decay and is currently at the S1 (Minor) level. Region 1429 remains complex, but is showing signs of weakening. Updates here as conditions warrant.

It's starting to appear like the CME missed and just gave us a glancing blow. Who knows what happened to it between the sun and earth.

Next CME is forecast to hit tomorrow around lunchtime.

That's what makes forecasting these things so much "fun".

Steve

M7 event in region 1429 still ongoing. A new proton event has begun and a new Polar Cap Absorption event is now beginning. The location pf the region is unfavorable for any geoeffective CME unless it develops a strong backwards component.

Steve

heliophysics has advanced by leaps and bounds in the last 10-15 years so that is not a factual statement, as this thread proves.

My point was there is no quick source for the average joe that doesn't really understand it all. Which is why I come to this thread to get an idea of what is going on.

The users in here to do a great job summarizing and explaining events as they unfold.

I realize the the field itself has made great strides the last 10-15 years. Chillax man...

Region 1429 has left the visible disk. My local observations did not show very much except for one reasonably bright area of Plage and a smallish prominence which showed up in a photo I took which was degraded by passing cirrus clouds. We have a storm coming in so observations will not be possible for the next three to four days.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Region 1429 which produced high levels of activity on its disk transit earlier this month is about to rotate around the limb. This region produced several large CMEs on its backside transit and two high C-clss events have been observed from it already. Our local observations showed an active prominence region with bright limb surging in the area where the region should be with an active filament already on the disk ahead of it. Until it rotates into view we won't know its full potential but it's relatively uncommon for a highly active region to be as active second time around.

Steve

Archived