• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

Also, curious to see some totals from the les event.  I'm pretty sure we fell in line with the 4-8 in the advisory...though there was some melting during the day yesterday and it wasn't all on the ground at the same time.  If I had to guess there was 4" this morning, maybe 2" from the night before.  The west side was under some heavier bands last night too it looked like.  I noticed last night before I went to bed that the temp on my phone said 32.  Not sure how accurate that was, or if we had a warm surge.  The snow did seem to stick to trees and have more water content.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just returned from University Heights about 30 mins ago. I will say that I actually have more snow in my yard here on the west shore than they had on the ground there.

These strung out advisories for these events are kind of moot. You had a good 24 hours in between some of these bands where the entirety of the snow melted. It's like issuing one advisory for two clippers a day apart each dropping a 1-3".

I'd like to see the NWS do away with winter storm warnings/advisories for actual snowfall amounts and start to issue them on actual human impacts. There are definitely warning criteria 2" events and events that are 6" and don't need anything.

I just returned from University Heights about 30 mins ago. I will say that I actually have more snow in my yard here on the west shore than they had on the ground there.

These strung out advisories for these events are kind of moot. You had a good 24 hours in between some of these bands where the entirety of the snow melted. It's like issuing one advisory for two clippers a day apart each dropping a 1-3".

I'd like to see the NWS do away with winter storm warnings/advisories for actual snowfall amounts and start to issue them on actual human impacts. There are definitely warning criteria 2" events and events that are 6" and don't need anything.

Advisories were certainty warranted at times in portions of eastern Cuyahoga County and the snowbelt...however, for a large chunk of Cuyahoga County it didn't snow at any rate of consequence from late Wednesday night through much of the day Thursday. I wonder how well CLE would do with subjectivity like that :lol:

Haha hopefully some good luck for us NEOH!  From the other thread, appears the euro now shows decent snow here.  Sounds like cle is favoring south of 30 for sig snow.  Hopefully we can get a north trend and get a sig synoptic snow event!

Yeah euro has a general 3-6" for most in here. Have to see what the 0z brings after it gets sampled a bit better. At this point I'll take a 3" storm but really won't get excited for anything less than 4-6". Just want a half decent synoptic event before the year ends. Its been a long 3 months since our last decent storm.

CLE posted this to their FB page today...seems off in spots but I suppose is a decent first guess on snow totals. Some areas in eastern Cuyahoga had over 6" on the ground this morning where this map shows less, so take it FWIW

attachicon.gifsnowfall.png

That map is actually on for me as I saw exactly 4". But I agree, off for others. Middlefield and Montville both received about 11" and that was as of about 8 am. They probably picked up at least another inch afterwords putting them in around the foot range, while that map has them in 8-10" (although middlefield may actually be in the 6-8" range, close call). So in general it might be a little low on amounts, but hard to get it perfect I guess.

EDIT: I had the wrong stats. Montville had 10.2" and Middlefield 9.1" as of about 8 am. Throw in an additional inch of snow after that and that map for them isn't as bad a I originally thought. Although still low.

Yeah euro has a general 3-6" for most in here. Have to see what the 0z brings after it gets sampled a bit better. At this point I'll take a 3" storm but really won't get excited for anything less than 4-6". Just want a half decent synoptic event before the year ends. Its been a long 3 months since our last decent storm.

That map is actually on for me as I saw exactly 4". But I agree, off for others. Middlefield and Montville both received about 11" and that was as of about 8 am. They probably picked up at least another inch afterwords putting them in around the foot range, while that map has them in 8-10" (although middlefield may actually be in the 6-8" range, close call). So in general it might be a little low on amounts, but hard to get it perfect I guess.

EDIT: I had the wrong stats. Montville had 10.2" and Middlefield 9.1" as of about 8 am. Throw in an additional inch of snow after that and that map for them isn't as bad a I originally thought. Although still low.

CLE mentioned in their AFD yesterday evening that isolated spots in NW PA were up to 26" last night and more fell after...elsewhere, the map seems to be ok ball park...parts of the snowbelt had a foot plus on the ground this morning, but idk if there was already snow on the ground there when the lake effect began.

Overall this was a solid mid-grade event in Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula Counties, and wasn't great in Cuyahoga but for mid-late March can't complain much. Wish the primary banding would have worked out better than it did.

Advisories were certainty warranted at times in portions of eastern Cuyahoga County and the snowbelt...however, for a large chunk of Cuyahoga County it didn't snow at any rate of consequence from late Wednesday night through much of the day Thursday. I wonder how well CLE would do with subjectivity like that :lol:

It would be a mess with that kind of subjectivity imo. Maybe I'm just old school, but I like going by specific criteria.

CLE mentioned in their AFD yesterday evening that isolated spots in NW PA were up to 26" last night and more fell after...elsewhere, the map seems to be ok ball park...parts of the snowbelt had a foot plus on the ground this morning, but idk if there was already snow on the ground there when the lake effect began.

Overall this was a solid mid-grade event in Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula Counties, and wasn't great in Cuyahoga but for mid-late March can't complain much. Wish the primary banding would have worked out better than it did.

I was actually on I-90 Sunday and there was a good 3" maybe 4" in the lake/n. geauga area before the brief warmup Monday. So I think they still had a good 2"+ on the ground before the event started. So some of that depth was from the system last weekend although not a lot.

I agree. Also wasn't great in Northern Portage either, but for late march can't complain. Although the top tier of townships did alright. Was up in Mantua and Hiram today and could definitely tell they got a couple more inches than me.

Yeah if we could have got a primary to set up and sit somewhere, could have been some pretty high totals considering there were a lot of 4-6" reports this morning with the activity shifting around quite a bit last night.

I have bad news if you are excited over the NWS winter storm watch...I'm thinking 1-3" for most of you, with 4" amounts south of Mansfield-Canton-Youngstown.

No excitement here. I'll be keeping an eye on the radar from DC tomorrow. Good luck down in Athens. Significant synoptic storms avoid this area any way possible. Without the lake we would be lost.

I have bad news if you are excited over the NWS winter storm watch...I'm thinking 1-3" for most of you, with 4" amounts south of Mansfield-Canton-Youngstown.

Yeah I was pretty surprised when I saw they put a watch out all the way to Cleveland. Given the qpf from most of the models, a watch really wasn't warranted for the northern 2 maybe 3 tiers of counties in NE OH. In terms of amounts for ohio, looks almost like an early march repeat, although we will do a bit better with this one. Certainly nothing to write home about.

No excitement here. I'll be keeping an eye on the radar from DC tomorrow. Good luck down in Athens. Significant synoptic storms avoid this area any way possible. Without the lake we would be lost.

Isn't that the truth. Most areas would have probably stayed in the 20-30" range or less without lake effect/enhancement. Northeast ohio has been the donut hole of the MW this winter.

CLE put Portage and Summit under an WWA for 3-5". Considering my location in the northern part of the county and the qpf the models are throwing out, 2" to 3" should about do it for me. Borderline whether a WWA was actually needed, although the southern areas of portage/summit should do ok.

On another note, CLE is now 4.6 degrees below average on the month. With no real warmup before the end of the month and highs primarily in the 30's, 6 to 8 degrees below normal is very realistic. What a difference a year makes.

There seems to have been a slight last minute bump to the north for these parts of Ohio. Still nothing to write home about. Probably 2-3" across Cuyahoga and then 3 or 4" for Akron with maybe 5" near CAK. 

It's been wash, rinse, repeat waking up to these overnight snowfalls that tend to melt to nothing by the end of the day. It would have been nice to have ended the season on a bang. 

CLE should be able to top out at 50" for the season after this if all goes well ... which seems like a lot more than what fell. But nickels and dimes add up quickly.

There seems to have been a slight last minute bump to the north for these parts of Ohio. Still nothing to write home about. Probably 2-3" across Cuyahoga and then 3 or 4" for Akron with maybe 5" near CAK. 

It's been wash, rinse, repeat waking up to these overnight snowfalls that tend to melt to nothing by the end of the day. It would have been nice to have ended the season on a bang. 

CLE should be able to top out at 50" for the season after this if all goes well ... which seems like a lot more than what fell. But nickels and dimes add up quickly.

Yeah 0z nam continues the trend, but nothing too exciting. Maybe an extra inch or two if we are lucky. Just another glancing blow to add to the list from this year. Been quite a few years since I can remember this many close misses. Oh well, looks like spring arrives next weekend. Hopefully next winter is better.

This will easily be 4-6" for a good chunk of Cuyahoga County. CLE probably needed advisories for this one, especially considering the advisories out last week for the LES fluff, this actually stuck to the roads.

We have been in a really good spot with this band. Hard to believe we will probably out do southern Ohio where they were supposed to see the majority.

How much you think you got total there? I got a heavy band just to my north, but it is slowly sagging south so I should be in it soon.

Probably going to end up between 4" and 5" IMBY thanks to persistent narrow banding. Looks like Hopkins has mostly missed out on the late morning snow. They should still end up with at least 3" and top 50", which is still 18" below normal.

Nice Trent, is that all still on the ground? There was a nice band earlier from 322 out towards you. Hopefully some is still left on the ground when I get home.

There's about 2" left. It's incredible how quickly the snow melts at 33 with clouds in March.

Archived