Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

Yes!

On a weather related note, the clouds are cooling somewhat north of Lorain, so the current band shouldn't weaken completely anytime soon. Colder cloud tops moving into the western basin, which should help pre-seed things in a couple of hours and let things ramp up as convergence continues to set up.

Talk about a third quarter collapse. :beer: 

Good point. Once the winds in the lower levels become more aligned things hopefully should get more organized.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the band stretching from near CLE to Sandusky may be the real deal...looks less cellular in nature and clouds are now back-building all the way to Maumee Bay. Radar still looks good for continued bursts of heavy snow in the rest of the primary belt although right now it isn't that organized.

post-525-0-31961400-1363842456_thumb.jpg

Picked up a quick 1.5" this evening with the bursts of snow. Cleared out about an hour ago and temps quickly dropped to around 14 degrees. Felt like a January night out there.

Directional shear is beginning to decrease and looks like there is starting to be a decent response in activity. Activity is still somewhat cellular in nature, but is the best we have seen all night. Should continue to get more organized as the night goes on as low level winds become more aligned.

I think the band stretching from near CLE to Sandusky may be the real deal...looks less cellular in nature and clouds are now back-building all the way to Maumee Bay. Radar still looks good for continued bursts of heavy snow in the rest of the primary belt although right now it isn't that organized.

attachicon.gifGRE grab.JPG

Activity has definitely become more organized than earlier but looks like its struggling to get true consistent banding to set up. Shear should continue to decrease in the next few hours so things should hopefully continue to get more organized. Even so, I bet those bursts just north of 322 have been putting down some decent snow. I got about 1.5" this evening and it didn't look nearly as impressive as what they have had on radar. Wouldn't be shocked if they picked up 2 maybe 3 inches in the last couple of hours.

Activity has definitely become more organized than earlier but looks like its struggling to get true consistent banding to set up. Shear should continue to decrease in the next few hours so things should hopefully continue to get more organized. Even so, I bet those bursts just north of 322 have been putting down some decent snow. I got about 1.5" this evening and it didn't look nearly as impressive as what they have had on radar. Wouldn't be shocked if they picked up 2 maybe 3 inches in the last couple of hours.

Yeah, there have been a few large squalls push through just north of 322. I saw a webcam in Chardon that looked like a few inches down:

http://208.108.146.134/view/index.shtml

If things don't change I bet someone like NEOH just south of 322 wakes up and wonders where his snow is :lol: it's only missing him to the north south and west right now

That western band is still hanging on and appears to be swinging a bit more north and becoming better aligned with the flow...so we'll see if that can take off any further. I need to sleep now though :lol:

Yeah, there have been a few large squalls push through just north of 322. I saw a webcam in Chardon that looked like a few inches down:

If things don't change I bet someone like NEOH just south of 322 wakes up and wonders where his snow is :lol: it's only missing him to the north south and west right now

That western band is still hanging on and appears to be swinging a bit more north and becoming better aligned with the flow...so we'll see if that can take off any further. I need to sleep now though :lol:

Nice cam. Yeah he is just getting missed.

That western band has managed to stay intact for a good hour and half now. Hopefully a sign of things to come. I hear you on

sleep :lol:

Absolute perfect set up for IMBY overnight ... except the bands were very disorganized and weak. Had this been the typical firehose band for a few hours, things would have looked quite different. Still nice to see the ground covered though.

Also, it's mind blowing that it's fluffy snow in the teens in late March.

Currently 11 degrees out. Feels like January. Pretty impressive for late march. The ponds and lakes are even beginning to freeze over again.

Have seen a couple 3" amounts overnight. Someone probably got 4" maybe even 5". Currently looks like there is some decent light to moderate snow in Cuy, Lake, Geauga, and NE Lorain. Flow generally stays pretty consistent throughout the morning although turns a bit more northerly aloft, so the banding may sag a bit south at times. Only have a few more hours before activity gets disrupted by diurnal effects.

Currently 11 degrees out. Feels like January. Pretty impressive for late march. The ponds and lakes are even beginning to freeze over again.

Have seen a couple 3" amounts overnight. Someone probably got 4" maybe even 5". Currently looks like there is some decent light to moderate snow in Cuy, Lake, Geauga, and NE Lorain. Flow generally stays pretty consistent throughout the morning although turns a bit more northerly aloft, so the banding may sag a bit south at times. Only have a few more hours before activity gets disrupted by diurnal effects.

I think the shortwave moving through later will help...you won't see organized bands with it but there should be a general area of snow with it. It's snowing really hard in Athens...isn't really showing up on radar and is short lived but the ground is white...it's 22 here right now.

:lmao: Glad I was asleep while that was going on. Picked up 2" total. Looks like 3" or so out in Chagrin this morning. Oh well... we'll see what happens today/tonight. Expectations are very low.

Yeah... feels like a winter day out there. I noticed that the lakes/ponds have ice on them again. Pretty rare for this time of the year. MBY was in the snow hole overnight. I'll be out in South Russell next winter which I'm looking forward to. It's pretty much feast or famine in Lyndhurst it seems with LES.

Yeah... feels like a winter day out there. I noticed that the lakes/ponds have ice on them again. Pretty rare for this time of the year. MBY was in the snow hole overnight. I'll be out in South Russell next winter which I'm looking forward to. It's pretty much feast or famine in Lyndhurst it seems with LES.

Almost 1 pm and still only 23 degrees. Where was this cold in December and the first half of January? :whistle:

Nice upgrade in locations. Should be a very nice increase in yearly average for you. Haven't been out to South Russell in a while, but if I remember correct it was hilly and the elevation seemed decent (>1200ft?). I would think they average upwards of 110" a winter. ?

Almost 1 pm and still only 23 degrees. Where was this cold in December and the first half of January? :whistle:

Nice upgrade in locations. Should be a very nice increase in yearly average for you. Haven't been out to South Russell in a while, but if I remember correct it was hilly and the elevation seemed decent (>1200ft?). I would think they average upwards of 110" a winter. ?

Yeah, the yearly snowfall average will definitely increase in South Russell. Elevation increases steadily as you head east out of Chagrin and peaks around 306 and Bell Rd. at 1240 ft or so. Our home will be at 1180 ft. We'll have the benefit of being further inland but it's not a great spot for westerly wind LES events. I'm guessing that area averages around 100". I'll be rooting for NW wind events next season.

Despite temps in the 20s and full clouds all of the snow from last night melted. Not surprising since it was fluff.

EURO now north and gives Cleveland roughly 4" Sunday night into Monday.

I was surprised today, actually held onto a decent amount of what fell here. Granted I have only had about 2" since it started, but still have a nice covering on the grass, although the grass tips are poking through still.

Nice to see the euro come north after most models trended south on last nights 0z. Nam/gfs still a southern ohio storm though. Given our luck this year, I won't buy into anything until we get some decent CONUS sampling on tomorrow's runs.

Yeah, the yearly snowfall average will definitely increase in South Russell. Elevation increases steadily as you head east out of Chagrin and peaks around 306 and Bell Rd. at 1240 ft or so. Our home will be at 1180 ft. We'll have the benefit of being further inland but it's not a great spot for westerly wind LES events. I'm guessing that area averages around 100". I'll be rooting for NW wind events next season.

1180 ft and about 100 inches a year? Sounds like you have a winner there. It will be nice to add another member to the "NW" flow club. Its not all its cracked up to be :lol: . In your case though, anywhere from WNW to NW should be pretty decent for southwest Geauga.

1180 ft and about 100 inches a year? Sounds like you have a winner there. It will be nice to add another member to the "NW" flow club. Its not all its cracked up to be :lol: . In your case though, anywhere from WNW to NW should be pretty decent for southwest Geauga.

You have at least me as a Canuck fan of the NW flow club as well.  We have one of the few NW bands this season going now - where was this in Dec or Jan??

I bet some of you guys will do better tonight than last night...radar is on fire over the lake. I need the summer to come. I've lost my LES touch these last two events :lol:

Yeah I'm liking what I am seeing. Parameters look pretty good. Flow is decent for my area, although I need just a bit more of a north component. It was snowing good, but looks like its going to shove the heaviest about 10 miles or so to my north. Flow should remain fairly steady throughout the night and maybe even get a hair more NW than what it is currently later in the night. Unfortunately have to get up early so I can't stay up and watch. Bummer. Should get at least a couple inches out of it even if the heaviest stays to my north. Figures, best night for lake effect this week at my place and I have to get up super early and can't watch it play out :cry:

Making up for last night?

I didn't even look at the radar last night after 7pm. Wow, what a surprise when I woke up. Looks like it only snowed "good" for about 2 hours though. Why can't we get one of these bands to just stay put for the entire night.

Yes, it did make up for last nights whiff IMBY. Picked up 3 inches overnight. Definitely more convective snow as there was graupel in the heavier bursts.

Like Trent, I refused to look at the radar last night so it was a nice surprise.

You have at least me as a Canuck fan of the NW flow club as well.  We have one of the few NW bands this season going now - where was this in Dec or Jan??

Congrats. Yeah would have been nice to have had this cold in December during prime lake effect season. Better now than nothing I guess.

Sunday night really bears watching now. Definitely some potential with that one. American models say snow and the euro stays just a hair south. The SREF means are over 7" with a handful over 10".

Nope, as I worried, the heaviest was just about 5-10 miles to my north and northwest. Flow really never turned past 290 overnight and thats just shy of what I need to begin to get in on the heavier action. Only managed about 1.4" so I will probably squeak out 3.5" total for the event. Looks like areas just north of me by a town or two (i.e. solon, aurora, auburn) probably picked up at least double what I got if not a bit more. NEOH got 3" so at least one of us did well.

Sunday night really bears watching now. Definitely some potential with that one. American models say snow and the euro stays just a hair south. The SREF means are over 7" with a handful over 10".

models also still having a slight north trend and moving heavy amounts from indiana to ohio. Definitely one to watch unless it falls apart in the runs today.

Archived