• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Greenland Shots

Qaanaaq

Thanks. I can't say enough about that part of the world. Oddly, it reminds me a lot of the desert southwest-(without water) the quiet, mountains and expansiveness-

I can imagine it had to be one heck of a trip. I have an itch now to really check it out one day. What were the temps like when you went and when did you go? Was it part of a tour or did you go out by yourself?

I can imagine it had to be one heck of a trip. I have an itch now to really check it out one day. What were the temps like when you went and when did you go? Was it part of a tour or did you go out by yourself?

I was there in late March 2010 and April 2011- I was there conducting interviews with hunters and fisherman of the community- accompanying a friend who is sick with a pretty cruddy aliment- she has been documenting the changes in the culture due to climate change on the Inuit- collecting data for 8 years now.

The temps weren't that bad...mostly daytime in the -10F to -18 F-at night time once in awhile . I might have experienced -20F....not sure- I really dressed for it- your face gets acclimated-everything else stays pretty cozy (except my toes and fingers got hit one day exploring a glacier.

We hired a translator- the locals speak Greenlandic (Inuit), Danish and some can speak Engish quite well. A lot of explorers stay at Hotel Qaanaaq- run by Hans Jensen- http://www.hotelqaanaaq.dk/indexe.html Reinhold Messner's photograph hangs on the wall in the room I stayed - lots of memorabilia on the walls. Hans knows them all. Quite a guy- I highly recommend staying there- they cook the meals- I had haddock, narwhal, etc.

Archived