EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Central PA Thread - Met. Winter 11-12 Obs/Disco

PennMan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea its 34 in town and 33 up here, once that changeover starts it'll fall pretty quickly. Got a nice moderately heavy clip goin and wind settled a bit for now..ground starting to whiten some.

Ya, 1.2F fall in the past 10 minutes, and we have a mix now.

EDIT: Make that 1.9F in the last 15 minutes. :D

Ya, 1.2F fall in the past 10 minutes, and we have a mix now.

EDIT: Make that 1.9F in the last 15 minutes. :D

Looks to be pretty much all snow now. But a really chunky, wet, light snow so far.

And another 0.5F in 5 minutes. The Walker building has gone from "38.5F" at 2:05 to "36.1F" at 2:25. Not bad.

Still 39.1°F light rain, no wind shift yet. Only a matter of time now

Front actually looks like it's showing up on Base velocity, really visible when it went thru the State College area, less defined further north. I have a better look at it on GR2Analyst, should be just about on top of you in Shinglehouse.

post-1507-0-40814800-1326439896.gif

Looks to be pretty much all snow now. But a really chunky, wet, light snow so far.

And another 0.5F in 5 minutes. The Walker building has gone from "38.5F" at 2:05 to "36.1F" at 2:25. Not bad.

Snow is not as "chunky" anymore. Just a typical light, wet snow but being blown around by the winds. Big flakes, though.

Front actually looks like it's showing up on Base velocity, really visible when it went thru the State College area, less defined further north. I have a better look at it on GR2Analyst, should be just about on top of you in Shinglehouse.

post-1507-0-40814800-1326439896.gif

Yes sir, just as you said it, winds have now shifted from the NE to SW-WSW. They were only gusting to 2 or 3mph, now up to 6 or 7 at times.

Edit: Now more westerly and gusts up to 14MPH with driving rain, temps are dropping good, will let you guys know when I change over.

so this is where everyone is hanging out? lol

I saw JHW reported lightning in the distance recently...anything down in PA?

The one guy in Williamsport posted about thunder and lightning around 12:40am. There was a couple strikes west of Morgantown, WV earlier in the evening when the precip was just starting to move into PA. Otherwise not too much in the way of convection. The bigger story seemed to be the enhanced rainfall that blossomed and parked over KUNV and surrounding areas for a good part of the late evening instead of what had been looking like a squall line type deal and a rapid changeover.

Snow is falling much colder, drier, at a decent clip, swirling around in the wind, and sticking to cars.

They were falling but, no longer. Oh well.

If you had seen earlier, the same happened here at State College. About 20 minutes of weak temperature rises after the initial big drop. Then they started to fall precipitously again. And it's not like you're going to be 38F while everyone else is in the lower to mid 20s tonight. Patience.

Snow is falling much colder, drier, at a decent clip, swirling around in the wind, and sticking to cars.

If you had seen earlier, the same happened here at State College. About 20 minutes of weak temperature rises after the initial big drop. Then they started to fall precipitously again. And it's not like you're going to be 38F while everyone else is in the lower to mid 20s tonight. Patience.

Was 38 at 2:30 and still 39 at 3:15.

Started flaking for a few mins then stopped. It is doing nothing with 25dbz over me. Don't understand that one either.

moderate snow and near blizzard conditions...1/4sm or so. Temp is 30 degrees. Just a coating so far. Gusting to 45 mph at the Coast Guard station on the lake.

Impressive! I wish we got that kind of winds. Snow at a good clip here, will have to go out and measure again soon. Temps have slowed up some but still continue to lower but at a much slower rate. Flakes are much finer, and drier.

Precip shut off down here now, light coating on the ground. Decks frozen solid. Now i'll be waiting to see what goes on later today when the deform pivots as well as any squalls that develop. Further north, seems to be a more enhanced area of snowfall (or mostly snowfall) in an area bounded by State College, Renovo, and Lock Haven. Some enhanced snow trying to nose up toward Potter as well.

Impressive! I wish we got that kind of winds. Snow at a good clip here, will have to go out and measure again soon. Temps have slowed up some but still continue to lower but at a much slower rate.

yeah buf is a windy place lol. Little concering to see the 06z NAM back off on the dynamics around here for the morning...but there's already some lake-enhancement going on so that might negate that.

Archived