• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New GFS Graphics 2 Week Archive and 180 Hour Forecast

phil882

Hey guys, I just wanted to show off a new synoptic map resource that I've been using a lot lately. It comes from a colleague of mine that's been working on this for the better part of the last year, and hes constructed a pretty impressive site with an array of maps globally. The animations take a bit to load, but they are composed of 2 week archive GFS analysis data along with a 180hrs forecast at 6 hour intervals. Very useful stuff for tracing back where certain synoptic features originated.

http://www.atmos.alb.../kgriffin/maps/

2vuj6kn.png

I will say the DT on theta surfaces map could use a little work. I notice that seems to be the default look at SUNY. Any chance at all he could add some DT on pressure surfaces with a different color scale similar to U of Utah? Probably a major stretch, but I love their scheme, I just think it is easier to visualize and interpret.

Example.

post-999-0-19211500-1321780699.gif

I will say the DT on theta surfaces map could use a little work. I notice that seems to be the default look at SUNY. Any chance at all he could add some DT on pressure surfaces with a different color scale similar to U of Utah? Probably a major stretch, but I love their scheme, I just think it is easier to visualize and interpret.

Example.

DT on pressure surfaces would probably be easier to interpret rather than converting from theta, but in the end, its still presenting the same idea. I actually like the color scheme more on my colleague's maps, but I think that's more of a choice of preference.

He is looking for ideas for future maps and suggestions to improve his current suite, so if you guys have any other thoughts please send them my way and I'll be sure to let him know!

Example.

Hey, I mentioned your concerns to Kyle and he has updated to include DT on pressure surfaces. Enjoy! The color scale might be a little interesting, but he was focused on using the max amount of colors to show the most variation of DT. Thus, you have a range from 80mb all the way down to 640mb!

Keep those suggestions coming, hes more than happy to add new maps or modify current ones.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/dtpres/dtpres_namer_loop.html

Hey, I mentioned your concerns to Kyle and he has updated to include DT on pressure surfaces. Enjoy! The color scale might be a little interesting, but he was focused on using the max amount of colors to show the most variation of DT. Thus, you have a range from 80mb all the way down to 640mb!

Keep those suggestions coming, hes more than happy to add new maps or modify current ones.

http://www.atmos.alb...namer_loop.html

Thanks Phil! I think I like it better on P surfaces too. Say hello to Kyle for me while you're at it :)

Wanted to bump this thread to mention that standard anomalies have been added for temperature and heights from 1000 hPa to 250 hPa. In addition precipitable water standard anomalies have also been added. As an example, here is a nice 5 standard deviation positive temperature anomaly over the Southeastern United States.

All of the maps are available for any region by dragging your mouse over the location of interest.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/

ad2tch.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping this page again.... dprog/dt maps have been added on the bottom of the page. Basically you can now check to see how accurate a GFS forecast has been, and the catalog will be updating for each new model cycle. Once the page updates with new runs, I think this will prove to be superior to how twisterdata handles the dprog/dt maps on their own page.

Current options are your typical 6 hr. precip / 850 temps / 700 precipitable water / 500 vorticity and heights / DT Pressure and Winds

You can also select from the same worldwide domain that is already available through a drop-down menu.

Here is a good example

Again here is the main page below. The new maps are available below the interactive global map.

http://www.atmos.alb.../kgriffin/maps/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived