• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
OCT 20-Thanksgiving 1979 the worst Autumn period of my lifetime

CAT5ANDREW

I made a thread for this because that was without a doubt the worst autumn period in my lifetime.I believe there are more high minimum record temps than in any other similar timeframe.It all began with the 88 degree warmth we had on OCT 21st and just kept on going.Although NOV 2001 is the warmest on record,that was dry and not with the atrocious dewpoints of NOV 1979.We had many days with dews in the 60s and the AC had to be in use.The week of Thanksgiving was horrible.Temps were in the 70s with overnight lows in the mid and upper 60s.To top off the misery,I got a nasty stomach virus the day after Thanksgiving.and felt like death.Right at the end of NOV I believe,The NY Giants beat the Dallas Cowboys at the Meadowlands 38-35 in a torrential thunderstorm from a cold front that ended the warmth.NOV 1979 was by far the worst in my lifetime.

And that turned ironically enough to one of the South's most blockbuster winters ever, where most of the storms were squashed way south and we had nary a flake. Sometimes it's hard to judge what a winter will bring based on Fall alone.

I had less than 10 inches here while parts of NC and VA had 45-55 inches I believe.

what made it worse was the snow that fell ten days earlier...I checked the Utah climate sight to refresh my memory...After 88 on 10/22 and a min of 67 10/22-23 the max min on 10/27 was 47/36...

11/2 was 71...11/16 was 45/34...73/61 and 73/62 on 11/24-25...65 on 12/12...26 max with 3.5" of snow 12/19...61 max 12/25...Christmas was warm that year...:thumbsdown:

I was small but I also recall it being a wet, tropical September. We had the remnants of Hurricane David and then a late month rainstorm (though I was living in Jackson, NJ at the time so perhaps the city wasn't affected the same way)

Most non weather geeks would enjoy that kind of weather in November.

I guess the only thing good for you that month was the Giants beating the Cowboys by a field goal.

Archived