• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major LES Event

TheWeatherPimp

Yeah, latest trends want to keep the band in or near the extreme NW corner of Indiana (and points southward) for an extended period of time. Definitely believe Lafayette will get a little boost from this event.

The only thing keeping me from sounding the red flag is the flow strength (mentioned this in the other thread). With that said, I definitely think 1'+ across LaPorte/Berrien Counties. Everything else is a wildcard to me at this point, but the whole northern 1/3rd of Indiana looks to benefit from modest lake accumulations.

I just think there are too many compensating factors in this case...not saying the excessive low level flow shouldn't be factored in but all other parameters are excellent to outstanding. These are always a learning experience though and this one will be no different.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think there are too many compensating factors in this case...not saying the excessive low level flow shouldn't be factored in but all other parameters are excellent to outstanding. These are always a learning experience though and this one will be no different.

No, I agree completely. This one will be especially interesting and fun to watch. Wonder when the last "analog" for this type of event was...(analog being used loosely)

The more I look at this the more I think we could see about 1-3" of lake effect snow in LAF. The NAM omega plume extends all the way through this area with 40-50 kt N/NNW flow at 925 mb with favorably moist profiles. Other than the rarity of such an event, there's no reason to not believe it if the model progs are accurate.

Yes please! That would give me at least 6 inches! Over a foot all the way through Clinton County?! Wow. Maybe overdone who knows.

I'd almost bet it's overdone with the southward extent of those really heavy amounts. That would go far and beyond anything I can recall. I think the main takeaway is that there's going to be heavy amounts pretty far inland.

INZ050-058-059-066-073-074-OHZ042-051>053-060>062-070>072-077-

120415-

/O.NEW.KILN.WW.Y.0008.101212T1800Z-101213T1600Z/

WAYNE-FAYETTE IN-UNION IN-FRANKLIN IN-RIPLEY-DEARBORN-DARKE-MIAMI-

CHAMPAIGN-CLARK-PREBLE-MONTGOMERY-GREENE-BUTLER-WARREN-CLINTON-

HAMILTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RICHMOND...CONNERSVILLE...LIBERTY...

BROOKVILLE...VERSAILLES...LAWRENCEBURG...GREENVILLE...PIQUA...

URBANA...SPRINGFIELD...EATON...DAYTON...XENIA...HAMILTON...

LEBANON...WILMINGTON...CINCINNATI

303 PM EST SAT DEC 11 2010

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM SUNDAY TO 11 AM

EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

FROM 1 PM SUNDAY TO 11 AM EST MONDAY.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE DURING THE AFTERNOON

HOURS ON SUNDAY...WITH OCCASIONAL SNOW CONTINUING THROUGH MONDAY

MORNING. TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH MONDAY WILL BE 3 TO

5 INCHES. IT IS ALSO EXPECTED THAT A MORE INTENSE BAND OF LAKE

EFFECT SNOWFALL MAY DEVELOP AND MOVE INTO THE REGION ON SUNDAY

NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. WHILE THE EXACT LOCATION OF THIS BAND OF

SNOWFALL IS UNCERTAIN...THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR HIGHER SNOWFALL

TOTALS ACROSS A PORTION OF THE AREA.

IN ADDITION...NORTHWEST WINDS WILL BECOME GUSTY AT TIMES

ON SUNDAY AND MONDAY...WITH WIND GUSTS IN THE 30 TO 40 MPH RANGE.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW MEANS THAT

VISIBILITIES WILL BE LIMITED DUE TO A COMBINATION OF FALLING AND

BLOWING SNOW. USE CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING...ESPECIALLY IN OPEN

AREAS.

EST MONDAY...

AREAS.

I'm curious as to just how much any LES bands that do make it this far south would increase snow totals . . . presumably not more than an inch or two? Granted the core of the WWA deals with the blowing and I suppose any moisture transported this far south will compound all the blowing around anyhow.:snowman:

INZ050-058-059-066-073-074-OHZ042-051>053-060>062-070>072-077-

120415-

/O.NEW.KILN.WW.Y.0008.101212T1800Z-101213T1600Z/

WAYNE-FAYETTE IN-UNION IN-FRANKLIN IN-RIPLEY-DEARBORN-DARKE-MIAMI-

CHAMPAIGN-CLARK-PREBLE-MONTGOMERY-GREENE-BUTLER-WARREN-CLINTON-

HAMILTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RICHMOND...CONNERSVILLE...LIBERTY...

BROOKVILLE...VERSAILLES...LAWRENCEBURG...GREENVILLE...PIQUA...

URBANA...SPRINGFIELD...EATON...DAYTON...XENIA...HAMILTON...

LEBANON...WILMINGTON...CINCINNATI

EST MONDAY...

AREAS.

Something I was thinking about...can IND even issue lake effect snow advisories? I thought that certain NWS offices only had certain products at their disposal. Perhaps that's incorrect or perhaps things have changed.

Can't wait to see what IWX does. I think White and Cass counties have a shot at warning criteria snowfall.

Something I was thinking about...can IND even issue lake effect snow advisories? I thought that certain NWS offices only had certain products at their disposal. Perhaps that's incorrect or perhaps things have changed.

Can't wait to see what IWX does. I think White and Cass counties have a shot at warning criteria snowfall.

IWX leaves White and Cass and the rest of their Southern and Eastern CWA under an advisory. Amounts in their grids flirt with warning criteria, however I would assume they went with an advisory due to the long nature of the storm. The rest of their CWA was upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning.

IWX leaves White and Cass and the rest of their Southern and Eastern CWA under an advisory. Amounts in their grids flirt with warning criteria, however I would assume they went with an advisory due to the long nature of the storm. The rest of their CWA was upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning.

IWX has total accumulations of 5-10" for White county.

Uncertainty probably plays a role, too.

I'm sure most of you guys know this, but the WRF has a bias for backing the winds too much. Just something to consider. I would definitely want to be on the eastern side of where it depicts the heavy snowfall.

Looking like an epic event of off L MI... not so sure about erie. You guys will have the benefit of an extremely long fetch.

I'm sure most of you guys know this, but the WRF has a bias for backing the winds too much. Just something to consider. I would definitely want to be on the eastern side of where it depicts the heavy snowfall.

Looking like an epic event of off L MI... not so sure about erie. You guys will have the benefit of an extremely long fetch.

Yep! It's all going to come down to where this low ends up.

lol, that's fantastic. Even if we could get 1-3" of LES here, as Hoosier thinks is possible, that'd be pretty unbelievable.

I think 1-3" is very doable, whether it's pure les or lake enhanced. We know that 2" or maybe 3" looks likely from the storm itself so it comes down to how much the lake offers up. I feel about as confident at forecasting "significant" lake snow here as I would forecasting snow in Miami, but if we get that boost, then I could see combined totals in the 4-6" range.

I think 1-3" is very doable, whether it's pure les or lake enhanced. We know that 2" or maybe 3" looks likely from the storm itself so it comes down to how much the lake offers up. I feel about as confident at forecasting "significant" lake snow here as I would forecasting snow in Miami, but if we get that boost, then I could see combined totals in the 4-6" range.

Good analogy. But yeah it may be a combo of backside/LE that does the trick. Should be fun to watch unfold.

accuweather has even westside of CLE in 12-24+ inch snow totals from Lake Effect lmao

I have never seen a forecast accumulation map for LES look like that before. I think for us on the west shore, we'll have to hope for some enhancement for snow, as the strong northerly winds will push snow inland.

Archived