• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Anyone read Davenport's AFD this afternoon?

trapperman

DVN does an excellent job. Sometimes the Duluth AFD's are horrible. Just 2 paragraphs. When the Octobomb hit they literally had maybe 3 short paragraphs and that was it. I was disappointed. We pay their wages. They should all be like this one. Good job DVN!

Some things to consider....

Unfortunately, front line offices have been given conflicting requests regarding the AFDs. Some customers ask for detailed AFDs, some customers ask for non-technical language in the AFDs, and some customers ask for AFDs that are concise and easy-to-scan. So that means we are tasked with writing a consise lengthy non-technical technical discussion.

The same customers ask for us to get the entire package of forecasts/statements out the door before 4 am and pm. This is less of a problem in the Central time zone and points west, and is generally workable during Eastern Standard Time. It is quite difficult to accomplish in Eastern Daylight Time (mid March to Mid November, roughly 8 of 12 months); the Hi-Res ECMWF hits the NWS system around 3:05 am and pm EDT, giving us 50 minutes to incorporate it into the forecast (approximately 40 different forecast grid elements), write about it, and have everything out the door as the customers requests.

Many years ago, it would take me 15 to 20 minutes to write a State Forecast Discussion (the previous name of the AFD), and that was considered lengthy at the time. Today, with all the mandated segments we have, it now takes me 50-60 minutes to complete my portions of the AFD. No change in the amount of time available for the forecast process.

If the forecast is particularly complicated, and extra time is needed on the grids, then it is possible that less time is available to devote to the AFD.

Some forecasters are not wordsmiths, and will turn out good forecasts with a minimum of discussion. It will still beat the Cleveland forecaster of olden days whose forecast discussions would often be something like "NO CHANGES."

Unfortunately, front line offices have been given conflicting requests regarding the AFDs. Some customers ask for detailed AFDs, some customers ask for non-technical language in the AFDs, and some customers ask for AFDs that are concise and easy-to-scan. So that means we are tasked with writing a consise lengthy non-technical technical discussion.

The same customers ask for us to get the entire package of forecasts/statements out the door before 4 am and pm. This is less of a problem in the Central time zone and points west, and is generally workable during Eastern Standard Time. It is quite difficult to accomplish in Eastern Daylight Time (mid March to Mid November, roughly 8 of 12 months); the Hi-Res ECMWF hits the NWS system around 3:05 am and pm EDT, giving us 50 minutes to incorporate it into the forecast (approximately 40 different forecast grid elements), write about it, and have everything out the door as the customers requests.

Many years ago, it would take me 15 to 20 minutes to write a State Forecast Discussion (the previous name of the AFD), and that was considered lengthy at the time. Today, with all the mandated segments we have, it now takes me 50-60 minutes to complete my portions of the AFD. No change in the amount of time available for the forecast process.

If the forecast is particularly complicated, and extra time is needed on the grids, then it is possible that less time is available to devote to the AFD.

Some forecasters are not wordsmiths, and will turn out good forecasts with a minimum of discussion. It will still beat the Cleveland forecaster of olden days whose forecast discussions would often be something like "NO CHANGES."

And CLE still recycles a lot of AFD content from run to run.

Thanks for clearing some of that up. Why can't they just tell us the reasons why AFD's they are shorter some days and longer on others. It would make me much more forgiving.

Archived