• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather Station for Elementary School

My wife is an elementary school teacher and they are looking to add a weather station to the school as part of their Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math program. They will likely be using grant money to buy it, but I was asked to provide any ideas on what would be best for an elementary environment.

I'm envisioning an all inclusive simple setup that records and displays all the basic information needed (wind speed, direction, temperature, humidity, precip, pressure, etc.). I'm also looking for something that would be set up on a tripod, no 10-meter towers.

I have very little experience with set-up's like this. I'm looking for system that is easy to maintain, is reliable and reasonably priced. Any products or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Is there a specific price range? If I have that information I can give you a few options.

It turns out that they already have a system there, but they are looking to upgrade it. I've put in a request to my wife to find out what kind of instruments they already have.

From the weatherbug site, it looks like they record all the basics but are just looking to make upgrades. I would think that the upgrades would be in the $1500 or less range.

Sorry I'm not giving much to work with here. I'll provide some more information when I get it :poster_oops:

VP2 might be too expensive. What's your budget?

I'm currently using a Davis Vue which for school would be great. A single ISS with wireless transmission back to the base station. Other than a battery that might have to be replaced every few years, it's virtually maintenance free. I would not use the WeatherLink software though. BTW, you'll need to purchase a datalogger, the USB logger is probably what you'll need (WeatherLink is free with the logger) but I would use Weather-Display or Virtual Weather Station to capture the data from the logger. Is this data going on a website?

Don't go the Weatherbug route, WAAAAAY too expensive.

Also, for anyone that wants to get a personal weather station and/or setup a website for weather, there are tons of helpful and knowledgeable people over on http://www.wxforum.net.

I'm currently using a Davis Vue which for school would be great. A single ISS with wireless transmission back to the base station. Other than a battery that might have to be replaced every few years, it's virtually maintenance free. I would not use the WeatherLink software though. BTW, you'll need to purchase a datalogger, the USB logger is probably what you'll need (WeatherLink is free with the logger) but I would use Weather-Display or Virtual Weather Station to capture the data from the logger. Is this data going on a website?

Also, for anyone that wants to get a personal weather station and/or setup a website for weather, there are tons of helpful and knowledgeable people over on http://www.wxforum.net.

you can get a wireless dvp2 for 400 bucks a far cry from the weatherbug setup.

Provantage.com

Provantage definitely looks to have the best price at this point. I got mine around last Christmas for $265 on Amazon, but that price is gone now. Granted I have only been using this for about 10 months, but so far it has been spot on with its readings being correct, minus the trees in my backyard screwing up the wind speed.

Provantage definitely looks to have the best price at this point. I got mine around last Christmas for $265 on Amazon, but that price is gone now. Granted I have only been using this for about 10 months, but so far it has been spot on with its readings being correct, minus the trees in my backyard screwing up the wind speed.

this company has the best prices that i have seen. If you give them your email addy for the price quotes these are the prices you get. They are located out of lawrenceville, nj

dvp2 http://www.scientifi...ations-s/26.htm

vantage vue http://www.scientifi...ations-s/34.htm

dvp2 wireless is 384.99

vantage vue is 256.99

I'll second Virtual Weather Station. If the weather station is going to be plugged into a computer and you want it to update all the time, VWS Internet Edition is really easy. With the recent price finds, and including a mount, you should be able to accomplish the entire setup for ~$500. I think that is what mine cost with everything including the Weather Station, Data Logger/USB, Mount, and VWS.

Agreed, VWS is the easiest to setup and get started with and that's the one I initially started with too.

I use both VWS and Weather-Display (WD). WD captures and calculates more information but has a steep learning curve but has better script support in case you want to get fancy.

Archived