• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Richmond Metro Discussion Thread

RIC Airport

DT is going to be at the bon air library oct 5th from 7-9pm. giving his winter outlook. i will be there, and hope some of you ric folks will make it too. here is a snippet from dt facebook page

Reserved a couple of seats. Someone told me it's all booked now. It'll be interesting though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.2" this week in the rain guage. Looks like the doppler estimated was waaaaay off out this way. Apparently, Wakefield is working on ways to screw me before the winter season even begins. Everyone needs a preseason I suppose. BTW, I'm liking all of this wet weather during the normally dry season.

4.2" this week in the rain guage. Looks like the doppler estimated was waaaaay off out this way. Apparently, Wakefield is working on ways to screw me before the winter season even begins. Everyone needs a preseason I suppose. BTW, I'm liking all of this wet weather during the normally dry season.

damn i picked up just under 1.5" ric was half of that

Got down to 43 at RIC this morning. Coldest of the season so far. During the last couple years, we reached colder levels within the first 10 days of October. Last time we hit 32 or lower during the month of October was in 2008. I believe we have a good chance of doing that again this year. Overall, freezing temperatures in October are not as prevalent as they used to be, say 1980s and prior, but they still do happen every few years.

• 2 weeks later...

All it really takes is a report of sleet, and RIC sets a daily snowfall record.

Will be interesting to see how low the temps get tomorrow night/ Sunday morning after the storm. May actually get the first freeze before 1 November, something that hasn't happened too often in recent times, at least at RIC officially.

Until I remember you're out in Blacksburg now, your reports and pictures are going to annoy the **** out of me. Every post, I'm going to look outside and say "WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT" because you used to be 10 miles from me, LOL...:gun_bandana:

Hahaha, well no reason to envy my elevation at this point. It is still a light rain here and imo looks like it won't change in time for some accumulation, but the NWS in Blacksburg changed their mind at 11pm and I am now under a WWA so who knows.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM EDT SATURDAYABOVE 2000 FEET...

Many La Nina seasons, particularly 2nd year events, have featured snowfall during the month of November. In fact, the last time RIC recorded a trace of snowfall during the month was November 18, 2008. There have been other recorded occurrences in the last 10+ years, but it has now been 20 years since the last accumulating event.

Since the 1897-98 season, there have been 21 occurrences of November measurable snows at RIC.

0.1" November 8, 1991

1.1" November 23, 1989

4.5" November 11, 1987

0.1" November 25, 1983

1.0" November 12, 1976

0.6" November 22 1972

1.2" November 12, 1968

0.2" November 30, 1966

0.4" November 30, 1964

0.9" November 5, 1962

7.3" November 6-7, 1953

1.0" November 30, 1952

0.5" November 30, 1943

4.4" November 24-26, 1938

3.8" November 22-23, 1929

0.3" November 18, 1924

2.0" November 28, 1912

1.9" November 15, 1906

1.8" November 13 1904

0.4" November 29, 1903

0.8" November 26, 1898

Top 10 Snowiest Novembers

1. 7.3" (1953)

2. 4.5" (1987)

3. 4.4" (1938)

4. 3.8" (1929)

5. 2.0" (1912)

6. 1.9" (1906)

7. 1.8" (1904)

8. 1.2" (1968)

9. 1.1" (1989)

10 1.0" (1976) and (1952)

Over the last 30 days, there have been two accumulating snowfall events in the Virginia mountains. As we approach winter, it will be interesting to see if November 2011 will end the snowless streak of the last 20 years.

Not bad I guess, for October. Will need to monitor today's high temperature.....could break or tie the record low maximum temperature of 46.

BTW Kevin, I meant to tell you this a long time ago, but look at your signature. You're not giving 2009-10 any justice. yikes.png

Oops... Ha, yeh, that's supposed to read 2010-2011. I sure hope my total this year is higher. At least double that to make me happy.

My total from 09-10 was closer to 40" ... my 12 month total from March '09 to February '10 was almost 50" ... if that happened more than once an ice age, I'd be quite satisfied with Richmond's weather.

Not bad I guess, for October. Will need to monitor today's high temperature.....could break or tie the record low maximum temperature of 46.

Looks like the high for the day is 45 which occurred earlier this morning. And unless RIC breaks out in wall to wall sun, I don't see it going higher so pretty sure we break the record.

Oops... Ha, yeh, that's supposed to read 2010-2011. I sure hope my total this year is higher. At least double that to make me happy.

My total from 09-10 was closer to 40" ... my 12 month total from March '09 to February '10 was almost 50" ... if that happened more than once an ice age, I'd be quite satisfied with Richmond's weather.

Yeah, I figured that based on those snowfall dates. We can only hope that RIC has entered a snowier "cycle" than what was seen in the 20 years prior to the last couple seasons.

Any reason why AKQ didn't issue freeze products during the morning forecast package? Tonight's forecasted lows are around freezing (32-34) even for areas well east of the fall line. Even tomorrow night, looks like temps will be similar.

EDIT: 1pm Temperature at RIC is only 40 degrees.

I got an update....looks like a freeze warning will be issued later on for Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, Caroline, Amelia, Goochland, Dinwiddie, Louisa, Fluvanna, Prince Edward, Cumberland, Brunswick, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, Lunenberg, Powhatan and Greensville Counties for the 2am to 9am period.

I see signs that the temperature is rising.....departing drizzle and low clouds...drying out?

Eh, drizzle is over and clouds are rising, but I'm still at at 39.6* with a 38* dew point and I'm not anomalous from looking at Wunderground.

I also want to know how the airport hit 45*. My high for the day is 41.6* and that was at 4:15.

Archived