• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Richmond Metro Discussion Thread

RIC Airport

Also, I swear to god, if I am going to sit here all winter at 40* and raining while watching the Valley get snow, I'm going postal on someone. If, however, I can expect negative 25 degree departures and precipitation, I'll be pretty happy in about a month. Of course, -25 degree departures get quite difficult (and quite cold) in January.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I swear to god, if I am going to sit here all winter at 40* and raining while watching the Valley get snow, I'm going postal on someone. If, however, I can expect negative 25 degree departures and precipitation, I'll be pretty happy in about a month. Of course, -25 degree departures get quite difficult (and quite cold) in January.

Given the synoptic set up of this storm, I'm convinced if this was a couple months later, RIC would've still had precip type issues. Certainly was not a classic snowstorm set up for C VA.

I got an update....looks like a freeze warning will be issued later on for Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, Caroline, Amelia, Goochland, Dinwiddie, Louisa, Fluvanna, Prince Edward, Cumberland, Brunswick, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, Lunenberg, Powhatan and Greensville Counties for the 2am to 9am period.

[font=monospace][size=4]URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE[/size][/font]NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA
357 PM EDT SAT OCT 29 2011

VAZ048-049-060>071-079>081-087-088-300400-
/O.NEW.KAKQ.FZ.W.0001.111030T0700Z-111030T1300Z/
FLUVANNA-LOUISA-PRINCE EDWARD-CUMBERLAND-GOOCHLAND-HANOVER-
CAROLINE-MECKLENBURG-LUNENBURG-NOTTOWAY-AMELIA-POWHATAN-
CHESTERFIELD-HENRICO-BRUNSWICK-DINWIDDIE-PRINCE GEORGE-
GREENSVILLE-SUSSEX-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LOUISA...FARMVILLE...GOOCHLAND...
ASHLAND...SOUTH HILL...CREWE...COLONIAL HEIGHTS...RICHMOND...
LAWRENCEVILLE...PETERSBURG...HOPEWELL...EMPORIA...WAKEFIELD
357 PM EDT SAT OCT 29 2011

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM EDT SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WAKEFIELD HAS ISSUED A FREEZE
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM EDT SUNDAY.

* AREAS AFFECTED: CENTRAL AND SOUTH CENTRAL VIRGINIA.

* HAZARDS: SUB FREEZING TEMPERATURES

* TEMPERATURES: AROUND 30 ACROSS THE PIEDMONT TO THE LOWER 30S
 ALONG THE I95 CORRIDOR.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR
HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER
SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Many La Nina seasons, particularly 2nd year events, have featured snowfall during the month of November. In fact, the last time RIC recorded a trace of snowfall during the month was November 18, 2008. There have been other recorded occurrences in the last 10+ years, but it has now been 20 years since the last accumulating event.

Over the last 30 days, there have been two accumulating snowfall events in the Virginia mountains. As we approach winter, it will be interesting to see if November 2011 will end the snowless streak of the last 20 years.

20 years wow we are do

Broke the record low maximum temperature at RIC today.

i was at an outdoor wedding reception today :lmao::shiver: needless to say we did not stay long at all

that 45 hi tied the second coldest hi ever for Oct. the record is 44 for the month

Thru 2am, the lowest temp at RIC has been 34 degrees. Hard to see why there can't be a freezing temperature by sunrise. Winds are dying down and the dewpoint is at freezing.

Probably just a tad too much of the way of wind early on in the night. And although it will be nail biting, the airport does have another shot at it tonight. If not, then we're looking well into the month of November.

Probably just a tad too much of the way of wind early on in the night. And although it will be nail biting, the airport does have another shot at it tonight. If not, then we're looking well into the month of November.

I find it a little amusing that the official station didn't hit freezing, but AKQ is discontinuing frost/freeze advisories...

I think that is simply further proof of what we all know: airports make terrible official weather stations...

Edit: I was below freezing from before midnight until almost 9:00 AM...

I find it a little amusing that the official station didn't hit freezing, but AKQ is discontinuing frost/freeze advisories...

I think that is simply further proof of what we all know: airports make terrible official weather stations...

Hmmmmm, maybe you saw something I didn't see.

Hmmmmm, maybe you saw something I didn't see.

Ok, I see what you're saying after reading the new AFD. Guess they are not considering the airport....haha.

Looks like there were some corrections to the August F6 data. There were confirmed ASOS equipment issues early in the month. It's hard to tell exactly which days were changed, maybe someone from AKQ can chime in? I do know, the 8/01/11 record high of 99 degrees was lowered to 96. So the record of 99 set in 2002, still stands.

Yesterday marked the earliest measurable snowfall on record for Richmond. November 5th, 1962 when 0.9" fell. And looking at the hourly observations, it appears it was mostly a rain event with precip starting in the wee hours of the morning. Light rain fell all the way into the late afternoon when a changeover took place to snow between 3pm and 4pm. With temps just above freezing, snow must've became heavy enough to accumulate, but by 7pm, the event was over.

And of course, today marks the anniversary of the biggest November snowstorm with 7.3" fell November 6-7, 1953.

Yesterday marked the earliest measurable snowfall on record for Richmond. November 5th, 1962 when 0.9" fell. And looking at the hourly observations, it appears it was mostly a rain event with precip starting in the wee hours of the morning. Light rain fell all the way into the late afternoon when a changeover took place to snow between 3pm and 4pm. With temps just above freezing, snow must've became heavy enough to accumulate, but by 7pm, the event was over.

And of course, today marks the anniversary of the biggest November snowstorm with 7.3" fell November 6-7, 1953.

What did RIC record..a T?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived