• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2011-2012 Old Farmers Almanac

MJO812

I got this snippit from my friend on another forum. I know we shouldn't take this seriously but it is interesting.

The 2012 Old Farmers Almanac calls for well above normal snowfall for the

Atlantic corridor from Richmond to Boston and all in between . Dec is cold and

snowy . Many snowstorms and a Blizzard in their forecast. A warm period in

the first two weeks of January bring temps to near normal, however, Feb and

March will see temps 4-5 degrees below normal.

JB also stated that the I-95 corridor will see below normal temps and above normal snowfall. :popcorn:

What a bold forcast from JB...subscribers must be down, especially with no hurricanes....

anyone read him on Weatherbust? I did before it went to pay but can't be bothered to pay for his hype

When was the last time the Farmer's Almanac forecasted a warm winter for I-95?

In their defense, they're no worse than any other long range outlook issued at this time.

They've added verification to their temp departure forecasts for cities nationwide over the past 3-5 almanacs, and have done quite well. For example, last winter they came within 0.6 degrees of actual for all 16 cities (16 regions in the US). The PHL predicted value was -0.8 and actual was -0.6 temp departure. No one probably remembers this but they called the 2003 PD II blizzard correctly, down to the week.

Just playing devil's advocate here, b/c many seem to think they base their forecasts off of animal behaviours and old wives tales when in reality it's a combination of solar science, climatology, and meteorology. I usually get them every August as I'm interested to see what they think for the coming winter and how well they end up doing. I've found their summer forecasts are generally much less accurate than winter.

When was the last time the Farmer's Almanac forecasted a warm winter for I-95?

Re the answer for your question, the last time the Old Farmer's Almanac forecasted a mild/dry winter for I-95 was 2007-08, and did so correctly. They had mild/snowy for Northern/central New England.

Re the answer for your question, the last time the Old Farmer's Almanac forecasted a mild/dry winter for I-95 was 2007-08, and did so correctly. They had mild/snowy for Northern/central New England.

Anything to keep our hopes of a snowy winter alive. Lots of people are going to say it can't be snowy this winter because of the last two but if we used that logic the 80's couldn't have possibly sucked as much as they did. Fact is, mother nature is going to do what she do, and while maybe its less likely to kick ass again, we are in a changing climate and what was normal is no longer.

2007-08 I think? Sometime near then. I'm not sure if I believe in the methods or not, but they've done flawlessly down here for as long as I can remember.

Just playing devil's advocate here, b/c many seem to think they base their forecasts off of animal behaviours and old wives tales when in reality it's a combination of solar science, climatology, and meteorology. I usually get them every August as I'm interested to see what they think for the coming winter and how well they end up doing. I've found their summer forecasts are generally much less accurate than winter.

Archived