• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Great Northwest (AK, WA, OR, ID, MT)

Mallow

I can't remember the last time it snowed in the Willamette Valley before Thanksgiving.. :whistle:

Me, either! Probably 1985? It snowed in the Seattle area in Nov 2006, but I don't think it made it all the way to Portland.

You in the Valley? For some reason I thought you were an easterner! But you've got the Ducks avatar. :wub:

Me, either! Probably 1985?

You in the Valley? For some reason I thought you were an easterner! But you've got the Ducks avatar. :wub:

Lived in Gresham from birth until 2006, then relocated to Indiana with my wife (native Hoosier) and son.. So, I'm well versed in the fight and struggles of getting snow down to the valley floor :lol:

Since I never went to UO or OSU, I root for both teams.

Lived in Gresham from birth until 2006, then relocated to Indiana with my wife (native Hoosier) and son.. So, I'm well versed in the fight and struggles of getting snow down to the valley floor :lol:

Since I never went to UO or OSU, I root for both teams.

Nice! :thumbsup:

I think you had told me this before, but I forgot. :arrowhead:

Go Ducks!

Thanks for mentioning the outlanders too. I imagine Alberta would like in, they usually do.

We could use some weather around here, this has been the blandest November in quite some time.

Did you manage to save any of the tropical forecast contest stuff?

:thumbsup:

Should get more exciting here soon enough.

I think Alberta (and eastern MT, for that matter) would fit more into a "northern plains" category.

I do have all the forecasts saved in an Excel spreadsheet for both the Tropical and Arctic forecasting contests. So we didn't lose any data there. :guitar:

That jet streak plowing into the Pacific NW and MT this coming Monday and Tuesday is going to be a fun one to watch. That thing will also be a prolific mountain wave producer...can't wait to see the lee cirrus in Alberta/northern MT this beast produces.

To see that strong of an upper level height field response due to mountain blocking and mountain waves in the GFS is impressive.

post-999-0-31269000-1289693365.png

That jet streak plowing into the Pacific NW and MT this coming Monday and Tuesday is going to be a fun one to watch. That thing will also be a prolific mountain wave producer...can't wait to see the lee cirrus in Alberta/northern MT this beast produces.

To see that strong of an upper level height field response due to mountain blocking and mountain waves in the GFS is impressive.

The GFS's resolution was recently updated, too, wasn't it?

That's really cool!

The GFS's resolution was recently updated, too, wasn't it?

That's really cool!

I believe in August, up to T574. Being spectral wave, I believe it averages out to 25-27 km based on lat. They also supposedly updated and improved its mountain drag parameterizations. Either way, should be fun to watch come Tuesday! Definitely interested to see how well it produces mtn waves and handles the winds with this system.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=161&map.y=118&minlon=-124.8&maxlon=-120.57&minlat=46.2&maxlat=49.33&mapwidth=354&site=sew&zmx=1&zmy=1

This forecast for the Olympic Mountains in Washington made me chuckle...A "Winter Weather Advisory" for 16 to 22 inches and wind gusts up to 38 mph?!? Wow, how much snow does it take for it to be deemed a Winter Storm Warning?

Archived