• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z model runs

MJO812

You're also getting lake cutters from it. I'm hoping for some miracle to occur and we get something, but it doesn't look to good, the pacific is awful and it doesn't matter how good the Atlantic is. The pacific doesn't have to be amazing, just decent enough to get something going, but that's not the case.

In February 1969, we had a -PNA pattern.....

NYC got 20-24" of snow thart month. relax.

the pacific is awful and it doesn't matter how good the Atlantic is

This has to be one of the most ill-informed statements I have ever read on this forum. Do you realize if it weren't for the blocking we have had over the past few weeks, we would be torching? The atlantic can absolutely dominate our pattern at times. Look at the vortex in place over the next week, completely driven by the atlantic blocking. To say that it doesn't matter how good the Atlantic is is really, really just not very smart.

The individual ensembles should be really interesting. I bet some of them show a nice size storm near our area.

But the PAC is horrible?!:thumbsup:

Midweek and late week should be interesting, as some sorta meso activity could initiate throughout the region...

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/12zgfs.html allen's sight 850mb temp anoms stay could throughout....Barring that Lakes cutter solution, which by looking at the 500h set up, would seem very very unlikely...

Also, the threat around the 14th looks promising... if the trough goes negative 12hrs before , we'd be looking at a decent east coast sytem. SO it's encouraging.

This has to be one of the most ill-informed statements I have ever read on this forum. Do you realize if it weren't for the blocking we have had over the past few weeks, we would be torching? The atlantic can absolutely dominate our pattern at times. Look at the vortex in place over the next week, completely driven by the atlantic blocking. To say that it doesn't matter how good the Atlantic is is really, really just not very smart.

It is a good thing that the Atlantic is great, I never said that was not a good thing. It's pretty obvious that if it was as bad as the pacific, we could be torching. Having a great Atlantic pattern and an unfavorable pacific will never guarantee a storm. What we're going to be seeing for the next couple of weeks are clippers that will be trying to dig and amplify as they scoot across. We could get some coatings but unless one of those finds a way to amplify in a pattern that simply does not allow for it to happen, you will not get a big storm.

The biggest threats will be overrunning events, but those don't always work out. Just look at the 12z gfs, you have a lot of pacific energy and a strong block in place, but the lack of a 50/50 low and strong high pressure drilling down enough cold air allows the system to get towards the lakes. A lot of things have to go right for those types of systems to occur. Trying to a get a snow event on the Atlantic alone may or may not be good enough. Blocking and a 50/50 do not guarantee anything, a lot of cold air locked in doesn't guarantee everything. I'm playing the odds and the odds of getting a snow event rapidly increase if you get the pacific to cooperate with the Atlantic.

It is a good thing that the Atlantic is great, I never said that was not a good thing. It's pretty obvious that if it was as bad as the pacific, we could be torching. Having a great Atlantic pattern and an unfavorable pacific will never guarantee a storm. What we're going to be seeing for the next couple of weeks are clippers that will be trying to dig and amplify as they scoot across. We could get some coatings but unless one of those finds a way to amplify in a pattern that simply does not allow for it to happen, you will not get a big storm.

A lot of things have to go right for those types of systems to occur. Blocking and a 50/50 do not guarantee anything, a lot of cold air locked in doesn't guarantee everything.

The pattern you described initially is a Miller B reamplification pattern.

The last part, I don't really see your point. We know this, everybody does. That's why we are here analyzing the potential. Those things you pointed out (blocking/50-50/-NAO) never were said to garuntee anything. But they certainly make our chances a hell of a lot better.

Archived