• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid-Atlantic Minotaur (ORS1) Sightings 6/29

Kmlwx

Post photos, or other pertinent information here. I figured we should split all this discussion off into another thread.

Looks like all the thunder activity might interfere with the launch and even if it does go ahead clouds between DC area and the launch site might hamper our viewing. Post photos and Youtube videos if you get them!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. Where are you going to watch from tomorrow?

Capitol if possible. Maybe Tenleytown alternate? Might as well try to figure out if I could get it and the Capitol together tonight.

Man, if I had the time and energy Pt. Lookout St Park would be a smokin place to watch. Low humidity and perfect vis. Almost zero light polution down there too.

I have some relatives down there - it's a shame I have work the next day blah

One of my best friends lives in Chesapeake Beach. I think I'm going to make the run with the kids. I told my 6 year old boy about it last night and he was bouncing off the walls.

I'm kinda interested too. I've only seen one rocket launch and it was by accident. I was sailing in the GOM and watched a rocket go all the way though the atmosphere. Sky was crystal clear and we were 100 miles offshore so zero light polution or obstructions. The coolest part was the parabola around the rocket as it left the atmosphere. I had binoculars but you could see it clearly with the naked eye too.

One of my best friends lives in Chesapeake Beach. I think I'm going to make the run with the kids. I told my 6 year old boy about it last night and he was bouncing off the walls.

I'm kinda interested too. I've only seen one rocket launch and it was by accident. I was sailing in the GOM and watched a rocket go all the way though the atmosphere. Sky was crystal clear and we were 100 miles offshore so zero light polution or obstructions. The coolest part was the parabola around the rocket as it left the atmosphere. I had binoculars but you could see it clearly with the naked eye too.

That sounds awesome!

Will you take photos from your vantage point? I doubt I'll get much of a good view.

Damn, no Ches Beach for me tonight. Gotta take older daughters to a party and pick them up. Hmmmm...... Now I have to find somewhere around my house. can't think of a good spot.

White Flint metro garage? Somebody mentioned some bridges as well. I'll be heading to the Glenmont metro garage (at the price of parking though) :(

W. Old Baltimore rd near Black Hills park has a great view to the SE. No light pollution and big open horizon. Problem with parking garages is all the lights.

You should climb the obs tower @ Rt. 29 & 198. No that would be awesome (but unfortunately a misdemeanor). lol

Where is that Black Hills Park? I feel like it's far from me down here in Colesville

(I'm near intersection of Randolph and New Hampshire)

Black Hills might be a misdemeanor as well lol - aren't the county parks open from sunrise to sunset?

Where is that Black Hills Park? I feel like it's far from me down here in Colesville

(I'm near intersection of Randolph and New Hampshire)

Black Hills might be a misdemeanor as well lol - aren't the county parks open from sunrise to sunset?

Park is closed but the spot i was thinking about isn't in the park. Here is a view from the rd and a map. There are actually a lot of high spots with good SE views in this general area.

No shoulder but there are a couple of places to pull off with no problem.

Will we be able to narrow down the launch time? There is no way I can show up at 8:30 and wait for an hour or two. Bored 6 year olds aint fun.

Well right now the countdown is being held at 2 hours 30 minutes due to a problem being worked with equipment.

I wonder if this will still be visible if it happens after sunset.

Well right now the countdown is being held at 2 hours 30 minutes due to a problem being worked with equipment.

I wonder if this will still be visible if it happens after sunset.

It should be more visible I'd think. I'm not that familiar with this type of rocket but usually their trail lasts for some period of time after it goes up too. Out west the ones they fire (I think they're bigger) turn all sorts of cool colors. I remember seeing one out there as a kid and thinking it was aliens.

It should be more visible I'd think. I'm not that familiar with this type of rocket but usually their trail lasts for some period of time after it goes up too. Out west the ones they fire (I think they're bigger) turn all sorts of cool colors. I remember seeing one out there as a kid and thinking it was aliens.

If we start getting into the 10-11pm hours though I'd think that lack of sun might not permit the smoke trail to turn colors (the colors I think are made possible by sun passing through them).

Might still see the rocket flame itself though. Trying to figure out when to give up on it - don't want to get out there and have it be a dud.

If we start getting into the 10-11pm hours though I'd think that lack of sun might not permit the smoke trail to turn colors (the colors I think are made possible by sun passing through them).

Might still see the rocket flame itself though. Trying to figure out when to give up on it - don't want to get out there and have it be a dud.

yeah, i think so.. they create noctilucent clouds sort of. i'd think ideally it would go up a bit later than 8:28, would guess the "twilight period" lasts till at least 10 or so in the upper atmosphere. this is from a minotaur, not sure the same type: http://www.atoptics....hsky/rktr1j.htm

im not sure if there's an issue with it going up opposite sunset tho.

Archived