• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
New England Flower Filled Landscapes...

I've been real busy on weekends recently trying to capture some scenes of New England's more famous wildflower blooms.

The first set I took were from the Alpine Zone of the Presidential Range in New Hampshire...where arctic wildflowers were stranded after the last ice age, and bloom in a dramatic display in Late May and Early June. Below is my favorite shot from the trip, and I wrote a blog about the experience for EMS's lifestyle blog:

http://www.emsexploration.com/wordpress/dont-miss-the-mount-washington-flower-show/

post-4693-0-32734000-1308836333.jpg

Next up, the bogs are beginning to fill with blooming orchids, and the rarest orchid in New England is the Showy Lady Slipper! I was able to track down a small population on Nature Conservancy property in Vermont, and put together this composition!

post-4693-0-14622700-1308836416.jpg

Lastly, This past weekend I returned to Sugar Hill, NH, where I have been shooting the lupine festival for years. I had perfect conditions at sunrise on Saturday to put together a complete scene at St. Matthews field. Pretty happy with how this one came out!

post-4693-0-03403700-1308836509.jpg

Still a few big blooms to focus on in the coming weeks...mountain laurel is still going, and the lilies will be blooming soon! So more to come for sure!

Jim, I spotted a couple Pink Lady Slippers in the treeline around my house a few weeks back. I was shocked to see them.

The pink ones are always fun to see...and yeah, they do pop up randomly in places you wouldn't expect. I suspect you have some big pines in your yard?

The pink ones are always fun to see...and yeah, they do pop up randomly in places you wouldn't expect. I suspect you have some big pines in your yard?

Not too many actually, but the 2 that I did see were right at the base of 2 separate White Pines. I'm hoping to see more next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Next up, the bogs are beginning to fill with blooming orchids, and the rarest orchid in New England is the Showy Lady Slipper! I was able to track down a small population on Nature Conservancy property in Vermont, and put together this composition!

Nice shot man--and I'm pretty sure I know where you went to find the Showys. Believe it or not, there's a large clump of Showy Orchids right along the side of the road just a few miles from my place. They've gone by now but here's how they looked back on 6/18:

5878074194_a81648df24.jpg

Also, not to split hairs, but I would hazard that the rarest orchid in New England might be the small whorled pogonia or perhaps even the legendary praire fringed orchid found in only a couple spots in northern Maine.

That's awesome...so glad to see they growing wild in accessable places. You're right...probably not the rarest...but high up there...

I've found a pogonia before, but they're easy to miss too. Arethusa's are rare too...but yeah...splitting hairs...

Believe it or not, there's a large clump of Showy Orchids right along the side of the road just a few miles from my place. They've gone by now but here's how they looked back on 6/18:

5878074194_a81648df24.jpg

Also, not to split hairs, but I would hazard that the rarest orchid in New England might be the small whorled pogonia or perhaps even the legendary praire fringed orchid found in only a couple spots in northern Maine.

Archived