Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What is worse weather in the summer?

Thunderdude

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is worse weather in the summer?

• Extreme heat with temps 95+ and dewpoint 70+
    • Cold raw rainy days with Noreaster like systems and temps 55-60 F
    • Back door cold fronts bringing drizzle and fog with East winds and cooler temps
    • Droughts
    • Other

That was a crappy summer....we had 10" of rain in both June and July. Both months were in the Top 10 coldest on record for Central Park, about 4F below average. Frost was observed in Nova Scotia in July, and Pennsylvania had its coldest July in over 110 years of records. That trough was associated with the development of a strong El Niño, however, so I don't expect the same this season clearly.

This is one reason to cheer on global warming-- hopefully we warm the climate enough to make these kinds of summers less and less common ;)

I just remembered I need to start up my car.....

Droughts are my least favorite type of weather during the summer.

The streak of consecutive days with no precipitation in Central Park, NY ended on the 30th at 24 days, breaking the old record of 19 consecutive days from August 12th to 30th in 1938.

http://www.nrcc.corn...acts_08-95.html

Hot, dry summers definitely seem to lead to cold, snowy winters, with the exception being 1999-2000. HOWEVER, that winter DID have more snow than the previous three.

Droughts are my least favorite type of weather during the summer.

The streak of consecutive days with no precipitation in Central Park, NY ended on the 30th at 24 days, breaking the old record of 19 consecutive days from August 12th to 30th in 1938.

http://www.nrcc.corn...acts_08-95.html

Hot, dry summers definitely seem to lead to cold, snowy winters, with the exception being 1999-2000. HOWEVER, that winter DID have more snow than the previous three.

Agreed on all counts-- hot dry summers do precede cold snowy winters often except if there is a very strong ENSO signal. BTW years like 1938, 1944, 1991, and 1999 were awesome because the building heat and drought ended with a big hurricane!

Agreed on all counts-- hot dry summers do precede cold snowy winters often except if there is a very strong ENSO signal. BTW years like 1938, 1944, 1991, and 1999 were awesome because the building heat and drought ended with a big hurricane!

In 1999 Floyd came up as Tropical Storm I remembered and I had two days off from school though and it was starting lose its tropical features. Lots of rain I remember and widespread 2-3" and more occur with Floyd I remember but not so much wind I could recall.

In 1999 Floyd came up as Tropical Storm I remembered and I had two days off from school though and it was starting lose its tropical features. Lots of rain I remember and widespread 2-3" and more occur with Floyd I remember but not so much wind I could recall.

seriously. what?

And NONE of those years had snowy winters to follow. Maybe there is something to this.

And NONE of those years had snowy winters to follow. Maybe there is something to this.

Yes we want lots of recurving hurricanes like 1995 and last year lol. We dont want a season with a low amount of tropical activity (an active atlantic connects to a neg nao) but we also dont want a season with hurricanes hitting us if you like cold/snow in the winter-- I guess persistence defines the storm patterns pretty well.... if the storms stay offshore during tropical season we're more likely to get a snow track in the winter. In turn, those recurving storms allow the heat ridge to pump up in their wake.

Was there a noreaster in Septemeber 1972? I am sure there were some others that happen in the summer months. I just hope it doesn't happen this year.

I seem to recall a Nor'Easter the weekend after Labor Day that year, and one in early to mid August. Also, wasn't the storm on or about July 29, 1997 a nor'easter? I could be wrong.

I suspect they're a strong El Niño phenomena.

The other exceptions being 1980-1, 1983-4 and 1988-9. I think the "hot dry summer" theory works better in cold phase or PDO-neutral phases around the transition. Examples of the "PDO neutral phase" winters might be 1995-6, and 1999-2000.

The other exceptions being 1980-1, 1983-4 and 1988-9. I think the "hot dry summer" theory works better in cold phase or PDO-neutral phases around the transition. Examples of the "PDO neutral phase" winters might be 1995-6, and 1999-2000.

We also saw this to be the case in 1955-56 and 1966-67.

Archived