• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Predicting Tornadoes: It’s Still Guessing Game

I'm not sure who is looking for answers. I haven't seen the blame game employed...not yet. And not that it wont be. The only place that would have been safe from some of those tors would have been underground shelters. I imagine bunker sales will pick up significantly in the next couple weeks. There is always something to learn from every storm in many areas.

We (society) are not experts at any of this by any means. In the meantime, societal norms and scientific gains will have to keep building upon themselves.

Just read some of the threads here and news articles. How could this loss of life have been prevented? As you said, only if everyone had access to an underground shelter, which just isn't feasible. It can be tough for some people to swallow the fact that not every tragedy is avoidable.

Hell, that's part of the reason "climate change" is thrown around so much with these type of events. At least then we can point the finger at something. :lol:

Just read some of the threads here and news articles. How could this loss of life have been prevented? As you said, only if everyone had access to an underground shelter, which just isn't feasible. It can be tough for some people to swallow the fact that not every tragedy is avoidable.

I'd agree with that.

Exactly. My point is just that...despite all of our technology/science/information, there are some things that are unpredictable (we didn't know when/where exactly the tornadoes would form or what track they would take) and uncontrollable. And this a humbling and frightening reminder for many people.

I'm fully aware that the warnings were there and the forecasts were excellent. I don't think there is anyone to blame. But people always want answers when something like this happens.

I would bet you any money, and I remember seeing research when I worked at AccuWeather that showed this is often the case, that a significant amount of people in this outbreak died due to a myth affecting their decision. What myth?

"The weatherman is never right."

Therefore, warnings are ignored.

I would bet you any money, and I remember seeing research when I worked at AccuWeather that showed this is often the case, that a significant amount of people in this outbreak died due to a myth affecting their decision. What myth?

Lol...I imagine they wont be next week.

Were there any unwarned tornadoes? SPC had moderate, than high risk areas, they issued watches, many PDS, and it seemed every cell for a while was tor warned. I don't know all the TV stations, but ABC 33 had excellent coverage which I watched in real time, I don't see the problem.

There are just some tornadoes so violent that only a well constructed underground shelter will do.

Lol...I imagine they wont be next week.

Probably not, but in a year some will ignore them. Some will say "why should I worry about warnings, the worst ones come when there ain't no warning, like the one that hit Tuscaloosa with no warning."

Public ideas on weather and weather forecasting are profoundly strange.

Probably not, but in a year some will ignore them. Some will say "why should I worry about warnings, the worst ones come when there ain't no warning, like the one that hit Tuscaloosa with no warning."

No doubt.

I am surprised really that we haven't heard much talk yet about these tornadoes coming "as a complete surprise and without warning!"

I'm sure that's true to an extent...but again, in this case, even if people paid attention to the forecast and heeded the warnings, many of them still would have died. If your house gets hit by an EF4 or EF5 and you don't have a storm shelter, the odds of survival are low.

True, but I don't think the legacy of Tuscaloosa will be one of an "unwarned event". A small minority looking for blame might feel that way, but I think most folks will get it that a warning should be taken seriously.

True, but I don't think the legacy of Tuscaloosa will be one of an "unwarned event". A small minority looking for blame might feel that way, but I think most folks will get it that a warning should be taken seriously.

But for how long? Natural disasters always fade from the public consciousness in time.

Were there any unwarned tornadoes? SPC had moderate, than high risk areas, they issued watches, many PDS, and it seemed every cell for a while was tor warned. I don't know all the TV stations, but ABC 33 had excellent coverage which I watched in real time, I don't see the problem.

There are just some tornadoes so violent that only a well constructed underground shelter will do.

Right.

The thing is that it makes people feel better to find blame or point to some "explanation" when tragedy strikes. Makes the world seem like a safer place when you think if "everything had been done right", people wouldn't have died.

But for how long? Natural disasters always fade from the public consciousness in time.

I have no idea. Raising and maintaining public awareness to natural disasters has always been and will most likely continue to be a great challenge.

With the great technological advancements we've made over the past century we've become (for the most part) comfortable with the idea that we (in America) are masters of nature. From Hoover Dam to Doppler Radar, we've become ever more "lord of the lands." This has become our paradigm.

But events like Katrina and the recent tornado outbreaks remind us we are not in fact lords of our land; nature is. It may be disconcerting, but it is a reminder how false our paradigm is. One can only wonder how many future natural horrors are sitting there...waiting for us to catch up to them.

:pimp:

The longer term pattern and the model forecasts were suggesting this potential well in advance.

The Euro from at least 192 hrs before was keying in on this.The NWS and SPC were issuing

statements regarding the potential last weekend.

000FLUS44 KBMX 241201HWOBMXHAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL700 AM CDT SUN APR 24 2011ALZ011>015-017>050-251200-AUTAUGA-BARBOUR-BIBB-BLOUNT-BULLOCK-CALHOUN-CHAMBERS-CHEROKEE-CHILTON-CLAY-CLEBURNE-COOSA-DALLAS-ELMORE-ETOWAH-FAYETTE-GREENE-HALE-JEFFERSON-LAMAR-LEE-LOWNDES-MACON-MARENGO-MARION-MONTGOMERY-PERRY-PICKENS-PIKE-RANDOLPH-RUSSELL-SHELBY-ST CLAIR-SUMTER-TALLADEGA-TALLAPOOSA-TUSCALOOSA-WALKER-WINSTON-700 AM CDT SUN APR 24 2011THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR THE COUNTIES SERVED BY THENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BIRMINGHAM..DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY.SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE TUESDAY...MAINLY ACROSS THENORTHWESTERN COUNTIES...AND THEN AGAIN ON WEDNESDAY FOR THE ENTIREAREA AS THE NEXT STORM SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH. CONFIDENCE IS SLOWLYINCREASING FOR THESE EVENTS WITH DAMAGING STRAIGHT LINE WINDSEXPECTED TO BE THE MAIN THREAT ON TUESDAY. ALL MODES OF SEVEREWEATHER ARE POSSIBLE ON WEDNESDAY...INCLUDING TORNADOES...STRAIGHTLINE WINDS...LARGE HAIL AND LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN.STRONG GRADIENT WINDS ARE ALSO EXPECTED DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAYAHEAD OF FRONT AND OUTSIDE OF THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. SUSTAINED WINDSOF 15 TO 25 MPH ALONG WITH HIGHER GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH ARE POSSIBLE..SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...ACTIVATION OF STORM SPOTTERS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT MAY BE NEEDEDNEXT TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY DUE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF SEVERE STORMS.$08/MNK

Few I looked at that map and told my freinds at the university of Alabama that they had nothing to worry about, it clearly shows the tornado missing them by at least 3 blocks.

Oh wait I'm being told the Hires ECMWF doesn't even have enough resolution to see one of the lagest tornadoes ever recorded.

Archived