• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Looking down the barrel of a gun

iceman

I chase tropical cyclones, so it's a bit different. But, hey, I've put myself in harm's way many times-- been clobbered by flying roofs, been in buildings that lost windows and roofs, had the car surrounded by surge, etc. Of course family comes to mind-- I always worry how my mother would take the news if I didn't come back-- but... but... there's just this overwhelming compulsion to be in the thick of it. It's hard to explain.

I see what you're saying, though. It's a complex topic.

I can dig what you're saying in regards to the rush. You get high off the situation. I may not agree but if it works for you than that's all that matters.

This guy though didn't have a clue. Anytime I have seen footage of chasing T's the driver always seems to be far enough away that he/she always has an escape avenue available. This guy was sitting in a parking lot with a T bearing down on him and he stayed there. Now if he was parked on the road where he could get away quickly, different story.

Bottom line is you take a calculated risk but since you've done it before you know what to expect most times. This guy left himself completely exposed with the only protection being the windows in his truck.

Here's another popular video of a close tornado. VERY impressive shot of it destroying a building. Not as close to the person filming this like the first video of the man in his truck but still. Notice how close the people are driving by it...not a smart idea, especially when you're that close to the funnel itself.

Archived