joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rocky Mountain Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is indeed wonderful! I can hear water dripping outside.

I hope the GFS is correct so things can really start to turn green the way it should be in May.

Things already look greener this morning. :thumbsup:

I actually ended up with a surprise 3" snow this morning. About .45" of precip since last night, the most in a long time.

Colorado people! You are going to be +1 in about a month and a half because I got a job offer in Denver (downtown) today! I'm mostly a lurker, but usually try to post obs and stuff (especially during the winter). If anyone wants to let me in on the secrets of the area (best neighborhoods to live in (safety, value, commute time to downtown), best ski resorts to get season passes to, etc.), I would greatly appreciate a message (moving from across the country, I know little about the area). Anyways, congrats on the rain and upcoming showery weather in the forecast. I know from my interview in March that it has been drier than usual out there.

Colorado people! You are going to be +1 in about a month and a half because I got a job offer in Denver (downtown) today! I'm mostly a lurker, but usually try to post obs and stuff (especially during the winter). If anyone wants to let me in on the secrets of the area (best neighborhoods to live in (safety, value, commute time to downtown), best ski resorts to get season passes to, etc.), I would greatly appreciate a message (moving from across the country, I know little about the area). Anyways, congrats on the rain and upcoming showery weather in the forecast. I know from my interview in March that it has been drier than usual out there.

You'll get a million different answers, I'm sure. Having moved here 8 months ago, with roughly 3.4 inches of precip since (!), I'll give you a newbie's perspective.

1. Housing/neighborhoods: Prices are extremely variable compared to other areas. In general, you get what you pay for, though if you want a nice neighborhood you may be shocked at the prices, coming from TN. Are you a suburban person or a city person? Do you have kids/need great schools? There is a light rail service from the southern suburbs to downtown which can be great, making the traffic (which I would rate as semi-awful, not horrendous but no picnic) more bearable. Yards are way smaller here (everyone says it's the water, but I wouldn't mind an acre of xeriscape either).

2. Ski resorts: Depends how much time you have. I love Loveland- no crowds, great skiing, cheaper.

3. Yes, it is very, very dry. This morning was beautiful with about 0.15 inch of rain finally greening things up.

Welcome! There are far fewer people on the Board here than when I lived in Central MA.

Hey, congrats on the new job.

Coming from someone who has lived here for almost 6 years...

1) As far as commute time to downtown and value, I like the northwestern suburbs. Westminster, Thornton, Arvada, etc will all generally give you a 15-25 minute commute to downtown, and all have some pretty nice neighborhoods for reasonable prices. The worst traffic is generally south of I-70 on I-25, and east of I-25 on I-70.

2) Loveland is the closest ski area (only 45-60 min from Denver) and one of the cheapest...but it often has the worst snow conditions (which will still probably seem pretty good compared to most places in the country). I like Copper Mountain and Breckenridge a lot. You can usually get a 3-4 mountain pass for $300-$400 if you buy early enough - that's what I'd recommend.

Love this... "rain" means most areas get maybe .01. La Nina continues to reign. Maybe these recurrent troughs in the MV/OV might shift just a hair west and get rid of our persistent rain/snow shadow for a few days. One can only hope.

Yeah, it's amazing how threat after threat of precip continues to fizzle. Still holding out hope for tonight, though...Tue night is looking promising, too.

We have gotten some rain and a trace of snow here

Friday

high 57, low 42

0.09" rain

Saturday

high 47, low 31

0.01" rain, trace of snow

Easter Sunday

high 53, low 35

0.09" rain, trace of snow

monthly total 1.67"

overnight to Monday

0.36" rain

(real monthly total: 2.03")

seasonal snow total 23.7"

Felt good to look at the gauge this am and see 0.21" at my house too. I got a new gauge this month with a couple weeks of guessing in between, so don't have an accurate total for the whole month but probably right around 1". Snow for the season around 21-22", again not exact as we moved houses mid-winter.

Wow, I guess I've been "lucky" here in Westminster - I've gotten about 35" this season, which is still easily the lowest in the 5 winters I've lived here (46" in 2008-09 was the previous low).

According to ESRL Boulder has received about 43.6" of snow this year. Hasn't felt like that much. I can only remember two somewhat sizable events of 5+". If we don't get any more snow it will be the lowest seasonal total in Boulder since 1982.

This rain has been much appreciated though! I hope it keeps up for another couple of weeks before the summer dryness sets in.

According to ESRL Boulder has received about 43.6" of snow this year. Hasn't felt like that much. I can only remember two somewhat sizable events of 5+". If we don't get any more snow it will be the lowest seasonal total in Boulder since 1982.

This rain has been much appreciated though! I hope it keeps up for another couple of weeks before the summer dryness sets in.

Yeah, most events were just an 1" or 2"...or less. As you said, a couple decent events in Jan/early Feb, and that's it.

Statistically, the wettest month around here is May, so hopefully it will deliver more than April has.

Does ESRL post it online anywhere?

Also, if that's the least amount of snow in Boulder since 1982 then you get a heck of a lot more snow than Denver. The difference in elevation is minimal, so does being a little bit closer to the foothills make the difference in upslope precipitation?

Yeah, being against the foothills really helps us typically when it comes to snowfall amounts. It can be drastic how big a difference you see. In the October storm in 2009 I walked from the CU campus a mile towards the foothills going up about 300 feet and I went from 6-7" to 18" of snow. Insane gradient.

Here are the records:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/boulder/bouldersnow.html

Does ESRL post it online anywhere?

Also, if that's the least amount of snow in Boulder since 1982 then you get a heck of a lot more snow than Denver. The difference in elevation is minimal, so does being a little bit closer to the foothills make the difference in upslope precipitation?

Boulder averages about 80" a year, Denver just under 60".

Yeah, being against the foothills really helps us typically when it comes to snowfall amounts. It can be drastic how big a difference you see. In the October storm in 2009 I walked from the CU campus a mile towards the foothills going up about 300 feet and I went from 6-7" to 18" of snow. Insane gradient.

Here are the records:

http://www.esrl.noaa...ouldersnow.html

How much did Boulder end up with that storm? Here in Westminster I ended up with 20", my second biggest storm I've seen here after the Dec 2006 blizzard (27" where I lived in Boulder at the time).

I'm not too sure about the town itself... probably similar to Westminster though with much higher amounts in the immediate Foothills. At the time I lived in Gunbarrel and we got about 18". I now live about 2 1/2 miles east of the NCAR Mesa Lab, so I'm looking forward to getting a big Front Range snowstorm. Next year hopefully!

Looking at the climate records from NWS, Denver is on track for its lowest seasonal snowfall since 1888-9 if I read correctly. Wow.

On a more interesting note, we just had 10 minutes of heavy heavy graupel up to 1/2" in diameter, covered the ground about an inch deep, good bit of C-G lightning, and temp dropped from 47 to 42 in about 5 minutes. Wow again!

I thought this to be interesting...

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

628 PM PDT THU APR 28 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

WESTERN SKAGIT COUNTY IN NORTHWEST WASHINGTON...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...BIG LAKE...MOUNT VERNON...

BURLINGTON...

* UNTIL 645 PM PDT.

* AT 617 PM PDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL UP TO ONE INCH

IN DIAMETER. IN ADDITION...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS ALSO REPORTED

A CONFIRMED FUNNEL CLOUD WITH THIS STORM ALTHOUGH NO TORNADO HAS

BEEN REPORTED. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR MOUNT VERNON...AND

MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

SEDRO-WOOLLEY...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty good place to start. Information directly from the NWS.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/?n=climo

According to the information I get from the assistant state climatologist, the Fort Collins April 2011 monthly precipitation was 2.05". This was exactly the average for the month (100% of normal). This ranks as the 44th wettest April in the 123 year record (1889-2011).

I have never seen a month that was exactly average on precipiation. Weird.

Fort Collins seasonal snowfall is 23.7" which is 33.5" below normal (41% of normal). This ranks as the 8th least snowy season in the 122 year record. The last snow season with less than or equal snowfall was 1950 with 21.2".

I also read an article in the newspaper saying that the Cameron Pass average snow depth is 133", with a maximum of 161". This is in late April or May. At Joe Wright Reservoir, the snow water equivalent was 194% on May 4th. Some snowpack monitoring sites have over 200% of normal SWE.

Archived