joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rocky Mountain Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw a funnel cloud briefly form, lower, and then dissipate from my office in north Denver. Tornado warning went up for north metro area, but it doesn't look like there's been a touchdown at this point.

Lots of heavy rain/hail as well.

Dry as a bone here in Aurora, though it's quite dark off to the west. A funnel cloud and 50 degrees... weird. I still have yet to see my first tornado or even a funnel cloud.

Boy am I fickle. Two weeks ago we couldn't buy rain and I was missing the closed-low nirvana of Southern New England. Now I kinda sorta wanna just see some SUN!

...though this morning I made a date with my kids to find a place to go sledding on the 4th of July. I think we can do it! :weight_lift:

I know, it's been crazy how quickly we went from endless sun and bone dry to sopping wet and nearly constant overcast. This is really the only time of year (spring) when you can actually go several days around here without seeing the sun.

Looks like another sub-50 degree day is on tap...only 44 at 1 pm, and that's my high so far. This will make the fifth one this month...hard to believe after how warm the first ten days were - had three straight 80+ days at one point!

The models did not pick up on the second round of precip on the Front Range at all. Even today's NAM run had no hint of this.

Lots of action downstream still...looks as though it could keep up for awhile. This is insane. The past week has easily been the wettest 7-8 day period I've seen here.

Serious flooding concerns for the eastern plains today. Slow moving storms with heavy rain on top of already saturated ground...could be bad in some areas.

Wasn't expecting much rain here today, but it's as dark as late evening out there with moderate rain and lots of thunder right now. Remember the drought? :lol:

Serious flooding concerns for the eastern plains today. Slow moving storms with heavy rain on top of already saturated ground...could be bad in some areas.

Wasn't expecting much rain here today, but it's as dark as late evening out there with moderate rain and lots of thunder right now. Remember the drought? :lol:

Once the pattern switches I'm sure well return to the desert... though I did hear a couple of summers ago was consistently rainy and cool throughout. I wouldn't mind personally!

Once the pattern switches I'm sure well return to the desert... though I did hear a couple of summers ago was consistently rainy and cool throughout. I wouldn't mind personally!

Yeah, I mean this is a generally arid climate, no doubt. But what we saw from September 2010 - March 2011 was quite unusual, especially the complete lack of big storms.

Summer 2009 was awesome. No 90+ days in June at DEN, which is virtually unheard of, and only 7 in July. Lots of rain/thunderstorms, including an incredible storm on June 23 that dumped 1.12" in 14 minutes: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDEN/2009/6/23/DailyHistory.html

DEN is now up to 4.73" on the month. This makes May 2011 the wettest month since March 2003, which had 4.81". If we surpass that, it will be the wettest month since April 1999 with 5.35".

In addition, DEN's average temp for the month so far is 51.7, which is more than 4 degrees below normal. Good chance this will be a top 5 coldest May and the coldest since 1995.

We have had approximately 4" for this month. This is about the same as July 2009 (3.95"). June 2009 was wetter. I was looking at the FTG radar last night, and it showed 4-5" of rainfall east of Denver (over by Fort Morgan) from yesterday's system. I think that was overdone by a little. CoCoRAHS observer "Fort Morgan 6.2 NE" has 5.20" for this month.

We got out of the drought

That yellow area it shows going up past Denver isn't really accurate anymore. DEN is well above normal for the year now, and so are all of the plains east of town after the storm two days ago.

You can really see the effect of La Nina...the entire northern half of the country is drought-free.

So much for our first 90 degree day today. DEN is only at 71 at 1 pm, thanks to a high overcast.

Yeah, bit of a bust... some areas got up to 85-86 but nowhere near the forecasted low 90s. The NWS never seems to talk much about that. Back in New England there were always interesting discussions in the AFDs about what went wrong/right, with some cool analyses. Then again, there was an AFD like every couple of hours at BOX sometimes.

Yeah, bit of a bust... some areas got up to 85-86 but nowhere near the forecasted low 90s. The NWS never seems to talk much about that. Back in New England there were always interesting discussions in the AFDs about what went wrong/right, with some cool analyses. Then again, there was an AFD like every couple of hours at BOX sometimes.

Coloradoans are sort of battle-hardened to changeable weather. The NWS never discusses forecast busts. Most people don't even blink if the forecast is 10 degrees off.

-large effect of sunshine. At higher altitudes, there is less atmosphere above us to absorb sunlight and IR.

-at higher altitudes, air has less heat capacity. That can affect weather regardless of the sunshine issue.

-highly changeable synoptic/mesoscale weather. Numerical models have bad forecasts for several reasons.

87 degrees!

Archived