• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Philadelphia's Transit Troubles

Animal

The ramp onto the turnpike from Route 1 is fine, it's two lanes for a long distance that merge into the 3rd lane which begins at that exit. The issue is the sharp curve the trucks try to negotiate way too fast, it's cleary marked with flashing warnings, issue is entirely driver error.

Overall in Bucks County we're in much better shape traffic wise than the rest of the metro area, 95, Turnpike & Route 1 all go through Lower Bucks. What ever the # of lanes those roads have in NJ are irrelevant because their current PA configuration is more than adequate to accomodate the volume of traffic in Bucks.

Additionally (4) seperate rail lines serve Bucks, there also used to be a Newtown to Fox Chase line that was served by diesel trains. Septa closed that line in 1983 because it didn't want to pay to renovate diesel trains. Since 2009 there has been an increased push, partcularly from Newtown, to totally electrify the line & reopen service.

Unfortunately the Woodhaven Road damage is already done & it's highly unlikely anything ever changes, that should have been a limited acces road all the way to Doylestown back in the 70's instead of the currrent Byberry Rd abortion. Street Road is a complete trainwreck however that mess falls solely at the feet of local townships. Approving stripmall after stripmall and subsequent traffic light after traffic light is really not condusive to smooth traffic flow.

If those roads are all adequate, then why are there active plans for widening of both I-95 and the PA Turnpike through Bucks? :whistle:

The turnpike ramp at Route 1 is pretty bad though - as I'm sure you know. There must be 3 or 4 overturned trucks there every year.

The ramp from the Turnpike to US 1 northbound has far too little merge room. You essentially get slammed right into the right lane. And with traffic as heavy as it often is right there, its hard to not be in several near-misses if you use it often enough.

I can't believe this is actually an argument :wacko:

yeah really all of Route 1 through Bucks could use some improvements, which is sad considering the most of it isn't more than 30 years old. Usually I just drive in the shoulder going from the Turnpike to the Neshaminy exit. That stretch near the turnpike backs up all the time though, sometimes all the way back to Langhorne...

And the turnpike widening has been planned for longer than I can remember, along with the whole I-95 ramp and new double bridge on the Delaware river thing.

Did it every occur to anyone that they could have just moved a few signs around and made I-95 continuous all the way through via the Del Mem Br and the NJTP?

If those roads are all adequate, then why are there active plans for widening of both I-95 and the PA Turnpike through Bucks? :whistle:

Currently the roads are fine, I drove the turnpike between Bensalem & Levittown everyday for 10 yrs & unless there's an accident traffic is not a problem.

There have been plans to continue Woodhaven road for 40 yrs & nothing happed, there have been plans to connect the turnpike to I-95 for 30 yrs and nothings happened so maybe it's a good idea to start planning now because in 20-30yrs you'll probably need an extra lane.

Rte 1 from Street Road to the Old Lincoln Hwy exit is an atrocity...particularly if you're trying to get onto Route 1 since there are no real acceleration lanes on the on-ramp. Bucks is arguably in a better position with regards to traffic and roads than Montgomery County is (263, 611 through Bucks are pretty well designed)

The "new" 202 project in Montco and Bucks is a joke too, by the way. A glorified parkway with traffic lights and a 40 mph speed limit doesn't do jack to improve traffic flow on a road that should be a freeway through that area.

Currently the roads are fine, I drove the turnpike between Bensalem & Levittown everyday for 10 yrs & unless there's an accident traffic is not a problem.

There have been plans to continue Woodhaven road for 40 yrs & nothing happed, there have been plans to connect the turnpike to I-95 for 30 yrs and nothings happened so maybe it's a good idea to start planning now because in 20-30yrs you'll probably need an extra lane.

The Turnpike Commission is a bit more forward-thinking on roads than PennDOT...they also have the cash to burn on added lanes, road work, slip ramps, etc. Not many folks will argue the Turnpike is crap -- it's a pretty good highway and 476 is now getting worked on in Montco (finally).The bigger problems are the state highways (and in 202's case, US route) -- Street Road like you mentioned, 202 through Montco, 611 through Montco, 63, 73, and 309 in Montco, as well as 100 in Chester County all suck it and suck it badly. The 202 project is a joke since the state caved to the "no freeway" crowd and designed a glorified 40 mph parkway in an area that needs a controlled freeway in the worst way.

The Rt.309 project to turnpike seems to be a big improvement compared to the old death trap on ramps.

Big on going project with new by-pass connecting lansdale exit to 309, more lights!

Driving around on County Line and Bristol Rd seeing where the 202 by-pass is going sucks big time for many home owners having it in their back yard.

The "new" 202 project in Montco and Bucks is a joke too, by the way. A glorified parkway with traffic lights and a 40 mph speed limit doesn't do jack to improve traffic flow on a road that should be a freeway through that area.

The Turnpike Commission is a bit more forward-thinking on roads than PennDOT...they also have the cash to burn on added lanes, road work, slip ramps, etc. Not many folks will argue the Turnpike is crap -- it's a pretty good highway and 476 is now getting worked on in Montco (finally).The bigger problems are the state highways (and in 202's case, US route) -- Street Road like you mentioned, 202 through Montco, 611 through Montco, 63, 73, and 309 in Montco, as well as 100 in Chester County all suck it and suck it badly. The 202 project is a joke since the state caved to the "no freeway" crowd and designed a glorified 40 mph parkway in an area that needs a controlled freeway in the worst way.

+1,000,000

The new 202 Parkway is going to be a HUGE improvement! Anyone that says otherwise does not understand the project or the area in genral. The Parkway is a limited access roadway, no trucks allowed. I believe there are a total of 4-6 traffic lights along the entire 8 mile stretch. It is going to make getting to the turnpike far easier for those of us in central bucks.

Other improvements to area roadways include the replacement of the Scudders Falls bridge over the Delaware and the I-95/PA Turnpike connection which is currently underway with overpass reconstruction. Full project will not be complete until after 2017 unfortuanately.

Also, the SEPTA plan to use the Trenton branch line for rail service was called the Cross County Metro I believe and was planned for Downingtown to Morrisville. I emailed back and forth a few years ago regarding the project with someone from SEPTA as that line was in my backyard at the time. He stated it is going nowhere fast.

Isn't it ironic that all the new residents in Doylestown are the ones necessitating an upgrade to 202, yet they're also the reason why they couldn't build a freeway.

I agree, a 40mph parkway with 4 traffic lights will be a slight improvement at best.

The new 202 Parkway is going to be a HUGE improvement! Anyone that says otherwise does not understand the project or the area in genral. The Parkway is a limited access roadway, no trucks allowed. I believe there are a total of 4-6 traffic lights along the entire 8 mile stretch. It is going to make getting to the turnpike far easier for those of us in central bucks.

Other improvements to area roadways include the replacement of the Scudders Falls bridge over the Delaware and the I-95/PA Turnpike connection which is currently underway with overpass reconstruction. Full project will not be complete until after 2017 unfortuanately.

Also, the SEPTA plan to use the Trenton branch line for rail service was called the Cross County Metro I believe and was planned for Downingtown to Morrisville. I emailed back and forth a few years ago regarding the project with someone from SEPTA as that line was in my backyard at the time. He stated it is going nowhere fast.

It's an "improvement" but you do realize that the 202 alignment was meant to be freeway and that PennDOT completely caved on it. 202 in their planning 40 years ago was supposed to be freeway in PA from border to border (New Hope to Concord, DE)...you see how well that got. You're basically polishing a turd...doesn't mean the end product is a diamond.

And until a few weeks ago, I traveled through that area a fair amount so I know how crappy 202 is at present. It doesn't mean the "parkway" is improving the traffic situation overall...especially since that truck traffic still clogs the old 202.

I only know route 1, Woodhaven Road, and I-95. I-95 is the one that blows. If there isn't traffic due to heavy volume, then it's due to an accident or an idiot who's slowing everyone down or some stupid construction job that they decided to do at 12 PM instead of the late overnight into early morning hours that would make the most sense. It really pisses me off.

I did a train vs driving experiment over the course of a week to see which was quicker and they went about the same. Much different feel on the train though since it has scheduled stops and I knew ahead of time that it would take a while. Driving on the otherhand made me go crazy. I can see nothing but good moving traffic at 11:45 and I get about halfway there and then everything stops to a crawl and I go from 70 mph to 10 mph, where actually moving at 10 mph only occurs every 30 seconds as some dumbass (or group of dumbasses) decided that 12 PM is better than 12 AM to do construction or renovation. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

And 40-50% of the time there's some idiot in the left "express" lane that moves at the same speed as the people in the middle lane. Get the hell out of the lane. Everyone knows that the people who are willing to move 15-20 mph above the speed limit go there. So I tailgate like crazy on them about 3-5 ft. behind. The breaks on my car are really sharp (for now) so I don't worry about sudden stops.

I pretty much split between train and car because the car has a much higher potential to get there in 25 minutes where as the train is a guaranteed 45 minute ride.

And 40-50% of the time there's some idiot in the left "express" lane that moves at the same speed as the people in the middle lane. Get the hell out of the lane.

Yes, please! God I hate that...

I-95 thru Philly really should have an express/local configuration... maybe 2 inner express lanes and 3 outer local lanes in each direction.

It's an "improvement" but you do realize that the 202 alignment was meant to be freeway and that PennDOT completely caved on it. 202 in their planning 40 years ago was supposed to be freeway in PA from border to border (New Hope to Concord, DE)...you see how well that got. You're basically polishing a turd...doesn't mean the end product is a diamond.

And until a few weeks ago, I traveled through that area a fair amount so I know how crappy 202 is at present. It doesn't mean the "parkway" is improving the traffic situation overall...especially since that truck traffic still clogs the old 202.

I agree, they shuld have made it a true freeway, but one must see that using a limited access parkway with only 4-6 traffice lights along the same stretch that goes through Chalfont and that complete bottleneck, will greatly improve travel in the area.

just checked, 7 lights

I agree, they shuld have made it a true freeway, but one must see that using a limited access parkway with only 4-6 traffice lights along the same stretch that goes through Chalfont and that complete bottleneck, will greatly improve travel in the area.

Having a new roadway will certainly help. Though, I'm wondering if the businesses and residents in those towns where 202 presently snakes its way through at 25 mph would prefer it if the trucks were using the new route.

There are back roads (Upper State) that pretty much serve the same purpose now as the new parkway will. No disrespect, but a 40 mph parkway doesn't cut it for what that area needs. Why not do it right the first time instead of building a "parkway" that will eventually get clogged with more sprawl and strip malls in 10-12 years since there's a good bit of vacant land on both sides of that parkway in Bucks...developers will be chomping to parcel that up.

It's a==-backwards thinking by PennDOT and a total cave to the NIMBY crowd.

There are 9 lights.

*63 (southern end but on new alignment so it counts to the total)

*Knapp

*Costco

*County Line

*Bristol Rd

*Lower State Road

Last, it's only a two lane road in Bucks if the renderings on Penn DOT's site are right. :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe:

There are back roads (Upper State) that pretty much serve the same purpose now as the new parkway will. No disrespect, but a 40 mph parkway doesn't cut it for what that area needs. Why not do it right the first time instead of building a "parkway" that will eventually get clogged with more sprawl and strip malls in 10-12 years since there's a good bit of vacant land on both sides of that parkway in Bucks...developers will be chomping to parcel that up.

It's a==-backwards thinking by PennDOT and a total cave to the NIMBY crowd.

There are 9 lights.

*63 (southern end but on new alignment so it counts to the total)

*Knapp

*Costco

*County Line

*Bristol Rd

*Lower State Road

Last, it's only a two lane road in Bucks if the renderings on Penn DOT's site are right. :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe:

PennDOT caving? No way! I mean, that would be totally unlike, say, what they did with the Blue Route :whistle:

Yes, please! God I hate that...

I-95 thru Philly really should have an express/local configuration... maybe 2 inner express lanes and 3 outer local lanes in each direction.

I've been thinking this for years now. When 95 condenses to three lanes (because the fourth is just for on/off-ramps), it comes to a stand-still. Girard is a big clog point, but it would get backed up all the way passed Cottman especially at rush-hour times. Luckily I only had to take that route for 6 months for work, but it was still a pain in the you know what. Taking 611 to Route 1 to 76 was basically the same amount of time for me, and that's awful.

The problem is, there are choke points where there is just no room to expand 95 through downtown Philly areas. Buildings and other structures get in the way. It is almost as if they would have to stack the roadways similar to how 95 comes to a bridge between Broad St. and the airport. In stacking or expanding 95, a) it would be a total mess to construct and B) it would be outrageously expensive. That's probably why nothing has or will be done, but the three lane configuration (6 total) can't handle the traffic.

And as I said before, Woodhaven and the Byberry road mess needs drastic help. The problem is that entire neighborhood doesn't want it done, for some reason, so all their side streets get jammed with traffic. I know there were various plans to extend Woodhaven to Bustleton or beyond, make Byberry two lanes, expand intersections, and so forth, but in years absolutely nothing has been done except for some re-paving.

A previous job had me going from Warminster to 95 all the time. It is such a pain--Street Road is nothing but lights and heavy traffic--but there are no alternatives. I almost feel like the Turnpike and 95 should be directly connected, which may help a little, but in general there needs to be some sort of bypass through those Bucks county areas. I can't imagine how bad it is from places further north and west like Doylestown.

This project is already underway. All environmental studies are complete from what I understand and the project has already begun in the form of replacing bridges that span the turnpike near the new interchange.

http://www.paturnpikei95.com/home.htm

True. Galloway Road, to my great dismay, has been closed since November where it crosses the Turnpike. A fiend's sister works for one of the project's sub-contractors, and reports that Hulmeville Road is next.

They've been talking about doing it since I was born in '93, so it's at least nice to see them finally doing something.

True. Galloway Road, to my great dismay, has been closed since November where it crosses the Turnpike. A fiend's sister works for one of the project's sub-contractors, and reports that Hulmeville Road is next.

According to the project website, Hulmeville Road wont be until 2017 or later- it looks like Bristol-Oxford Valley Road is next

PennDOT caving? No way! I mean, that would be totally unlike, say, what they did with the Blue Route :whistle:

We could start and hold a thread of its own just on the blue route, What a huge antiquated road system it was from the get go, it had its very first accident in its first hour open. The road itself isnt as bad as the people driving on it, trust me i travel it everyday home from work, and people not knowing how to merge or keep the flow of traffic flowing correctly, there is essentially 2 bad sections along the blue route those are from the areas near the Conshy area near the I-76 exit entrance area along the blue route, then also down in Delco ugh thats just its own issues from the Radnor exit down to I-95 now i get on at West Chester Pike going south on the blue route its horrible because there is some old hag or newbie driver who cant merge in and onto the blue route so there starts a hangup and slowdown, (will say the ramp meters to help about 50% with traffic merging) but the way they have the entrance from west chester pike onto the blue route is one for the birds, as you have the west bound entrance from west chester pike onto the blue route dumps right into the right lane then not even a block or 2 (city blocks) you get the East Bound from west chester pike onto the blue route now here is the big problem here with the ramp meter here at that point is its set so far back and some of the people think they own the road and floor it to get onto the blue route trying to beat-out everyone else and try to merge into traffic causing people to slam on their brakes and such ofr swerve into the left lane causing accidents, plus that causes the west bound entrance off of west chester pike to enter slower and be much more careful because of the idiots that get on from the east bound of of west chester pike. Then you get moving a bit then you get the stupid lane for the truckers which never use it anyhow between the Havertown entrance to the springfield exit area with that third cut-out lane that people in the faster cars use that spot to blow past the rest of the traffic to get in front of the rest of the traffic, thus when they merge back into the right lane screws up the rest of the traffic in both the right and left lanes, then you get past the exit for route 1 thats another issue with people braking for nothing as people try to get closer to i-95. Trust me its not fun.

According to the project website, Hulmeville Road wont be until 2017 or later- it looks like Bristol-Oxford Valley Road is next

B-O Road (:lol:) is closed and gone already. And yeah, I know the website says that. I'd be fine with that, since closing that stretch of Hulmeville Road would be a like dropping an atomic bomb on the township. Though the person I know says they were going to try only closing one lane at a time. Somehow I doubt that will be effective, however.

Archived