Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2.9-magnitude earthquake rattles SC and NC

Isopycnic

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/9305785/

CHESTERFIELD, S.C. — A small earthquake in South Carolina near the North Carolina state line has rattled homes and led more than 100 people to call 911.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2.9-magnitude quake struck just after 6 p.m. Monday between Chesterfield and Wadesboro, N.C.

Chesterfield County Emergency Management Director Harold Hainey says no damage or injuries were reported, but the 911 center got more than 100 calls from people who felt the ground shake.

In neighboring Anson County, N.C., Emergency Services Chief Rodney Diggs says he heard of about a dozen emergency calls, but also had no damage or injuries.

The South Carolina Seismic Network reports five other earthquakes of magnitude 2.0 or greater in the state in the past two years.

There was one about 10 or 15 years ago that was around that strength that was centered just a few tens of miles from here that I felt. I was outside and there was a little bit o shaking and it sounded like thunder in the distance and i was like "WTF?" When I learned what it was, I thought it was pretty dang cool.

http://www.wral.com/.../story/9305785/

CHESTERFIELD, S.C. — A small earthquake in South Carolina near the North Carolina state line has rattled homes and led more than 100 people to call 911.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2.9-magnitude quake struck just after 6 p.m. Monday between Chesterfield and Wadesboro, N.C.

Chesterfield County Emergency Management Director Harold Hainey says no damage or injuries were reported, but the 911 center got more than 100 calls from people who felt the ground shake.

In neighboring Anson County, N.C., Emergency Services Chief Rodney Diggs says he heard of about a dozen emergency calls, but also had no damage or injuries.

The South Carolina Seismic Network reports five other earthquakes of magnitude 2.0 or greater in the state in the past two years.

thats what you get for messing with those electronic signs in Fort Mill :scooter:

It's interesting. This whole area is pretty flat, even the sandhills aren't extremely hilly. But if you go into Chesterfield and then go N and NE of there, you hit some bona fide hills out of the blue. I've always thought that was interesting and the epicenter was right in the middle of all that.

Why do so many people call 911 whenever something like this happens? Over 100 calls? C'mon. There was no injuries or damage, so why are you calling? I can see calling a newspaper or TV station to say you felt it, but 911?

Well you are supposed to report severe weather to 911, does an earthquake count?

About 13 years ago there was a small earthquake and I think it was centered around the Pageland SC area.Could be wrong about exact location,bur where I lived it could be felt.I of course slept through it and woke up to find my pictures on the mantle knocked off.I actually blamed my dog at the time until later when I heard about the earthquake on the news.

About 13 years ago there was a small earthquake and I think it was centered around the Pageland SC area.Could be wrong about exact location,bur where I lived it could be felt.I of course slept through it and woke up to find my pictures on the mantle knocked off.I actually blamed my dog at the time until later when I heard about the earthquake on the news.

I remember that one. It was somewhere up there in Chesterfield County, I think. Pageland, Jefferson, whatever. But I do remember with that one people had things knocked off shelves.

Well you are supposed to report severe weather to 911, does an earthquake count?

That's different though. You report severe weather so they can warn people still in the path of a storm. But c'mon a 2.9 earthquake? That feels like a heavy truck driving by. Like Parade said, people freak out and panic.

That's different though. You report severe weather so they can warn people still in the path of a storm. But c'mon a 2.9 earthquake? That feels like a heavy truck driving by. Like Parade said, people freak out and panic.

Well to people who've never experienced one, I imagine you could worry it was something exploding, plane crash, any number of things. Chesterfield is a very small, sleepy town so I'm sure anything out of the ordinary can make people jumpy.

Why do so many people call 911 whenever something like this happens? Over 100 calls? C'mon. There was no injuries or damage, so why are you calling? I can see calling a newspaper or TV station to say you felt it, but 911?

Some People call 911 if their order at burger king is wrong so it's not surprising...people just aren't very smart.

I didn't notice anything here in New Hanover County. (I think this is the first time I've ever posted not getting something, lol.)

A small quake would be cool.....but please, none of that Charleston, SC stuff!

:popcorn:

I'm pretty close to Chesterfield and I didn't feel anything. Looks like it had a fairly small radius.

Archived