Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 23-24 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres DT's first guess. I'd love for this to verify but I think it might end up further south.

199488_176728102374456_129478830432717_395292_6888754_n.jpg

Based on the 00z model runs. The amounts around Greene and Albany counties look a little high; like you said it might be more to the north than it should be. but overall, the map looks good.....The GFS is a little more to the north with this than the NAM..And the Models are having minor timing issues...But, the Models are in better temp agreement with this storm than they were with the Sun/Mon storm..The major fly's in the ointment will be warm air intrusion and the March sun.

heres DT's first guess. I'd love for this to verify but I think it might end up further south.

I think this is somewhat overdone as far as the need for 8-12" regions. I suppose I wouldn't rule out some 8+ reports out of this event, but I think those reports will remain isolated at this point.

To me, this looks like an extended (18-24 Hour) Advisory event for the region roughly along and south of I-90... say 4-9" (best chance of 7-9" over higher terrain above 1500' on the Allegheny Plateau).

0z Euro QPF totals thru H 60 / 12z Thursday.

Verbatim, the Western Southern Tier (Chaut-Catt-Alleg cnty's) changes to rain on Wednesday Afternoon then to snow Wednesday Evening. Surface temp's are slightly above 32°F across C NY Wednesday Afternoon when light precip moves in, so there could be some mixing at the start... especially in the valleys... but it's mainly snow for everyone outside the Western Southern Tier on the 0z Euro.

post-538-0-36263900-1300776212.jpg

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

343 AM EDT TUE MAR 22 2011

...A LATE SEASON WINTER STORM COULD IMPACT NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND THE SOUTHERN TIER OF CENTRAL NEW YORK LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

A DEVELOPING WINTER STORM OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS WILL TRACK EAST TODAY...AND INTO THE MID WEST TONIGHT. THIS STORM WILL TRACK INTO THE EASTERN OHIO VALLEY WEDNESDAY AND THEN OFF THE EAST COAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE PROJECTED TRACK OF THIS WINTER STORM COULD BRING HEAVY SNOW TO NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND SOUTHERN NEW YORK WHERE WINTER STORM WATCHES HAVE BEEN POSTED.

STEUBEN-CHEMUNG-TIOGA-BROOME-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CORNING...HORNELL...ELMIRA...OWEGO...BINGHAMTON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS: ALL OF NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND THE SOUTHERN TIER OF CENTRAL NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW. SNOW COULD MIX WITH SLEET IN NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS: POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR 7 INCHES OF SNOW OR MORE. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* TIMING: SNOW IS EXPECTED IS DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY...TAPERING OFF LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE SNOW COULD BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES...ESPECIALLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SNOW COULD MIX WITH SLEET IN NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* TEMPERATURES: TEMPERATURES WILL RANGE MAINLY FROM THE MID 20S TO LOWER 30S FOR THE BULK OF THE STORM.

* WINDS: NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* IMPACTS: HEAVY SNOW AND POOR VISIBILITY COULD HAMPER TRAVEL LATE TONIGHT...WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

DJN

I think this is somewhat overdone as far as the need for 8-12" regions. I suppose I wouldn't rule out some 8+ reports out of this event, but I think those reports will remain isolated at this point.

To me, this looks like an extended (18-24 Hour) Advisory event for the region roughly along and south of I-90... say 4-9" (best chance of 7-9" over higher terrain above 1500' on the Allegheny Plateau).

I agree...The storm will have a sharp cut off.......I don't see much of the white stuff falling north of I-90 :thumbsup:

S. Oneida County ???

Tonight

A chance of snow after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

North wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday

Snow, mainly after 7am. High near 29. East wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Chance of precipitation is 80%.

New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Night

Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 19. East wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Chance of precipitation is 70%.

New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

S. Oneida County ???

Tonight

A chance of snow after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

North wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday

Snow, mainly after 7am. High near 29. East wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Chance of precipitation is 80%.

New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Night

Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 19. East wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Chance of precipitation is 70%.

New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sounds just about right.

I thought the trend was north. Guess we'll see which NWS office is right Thursday am. smile.gif

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

I can understand the confusion...It is a tricky track...The models are trending a little colder. And even though the bulk of this will be suppressed to the south...I think a a inch or two north of the Mohawk Valley is a good bet. The snow will slowly end west to east Thursday.....Before areas downwind of Ontario pick-up a little LES Friday.

Archived