• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 28 - 30 - Severe Weather

Reed Stough

Meh, it's not a problem as long as we try to keep it as general as possible. Forum activity has slowed down anyway as we move toward Spring. I wouldn't have posted CAPE/LI and stuff like that but I think it's possible to pick out large scale pattern signals that may be favorable. The amount of long range agreement/disagreement among ensembles is also something to look at.

Meh, it's not a problem as long as we try to keep it as general as possible. Forum activity has slowed down anyway as we move toward Spring. I wouldn't have posted CAPE/LI and stuff like that but I think it's possible to pick out large scale pattern signals that may be favorable. The amount of long range agreement/disagreement among ensembles is also something to look at.

I'm pretty open minded, but posting CAPE and Lifted Index maps off a 300 hour GFS, that isn't general.

I'm kind of a fan of trying to guess severe up to 10 days out off the ECMWF.int site Euro, a good 850 mb LLJ with a good 500 mb height gradient crossing at an angle is a good quick look. It doesn't implicitly account for moisture or instability, but usually a couple of days of return flow does the trick unless a real beast of a cold front has scoured the Gulf.

Monday in the Eastern Plains has some potential, but I wouldn't have started a thread over it. Now that ECMWF 500 mb plots show 850 mb temps, I can now get a feel for where capping may be an issue. I'd like my 850 mb winds just a touch less backed than predicted below.

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!120!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2011031600!!chart.gif

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!120!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2011031600!!chart.gif

Archived