• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Compare Radar Signatures: January 1996 and Decenber 2010....

Chris L

If 12/10 had the over running 95-96 had, hands down it would have been bettter, but the long duration over running of 96 and then the coastal gives it the edge. Also, 96 had a more even spread of heavy totals IMHO.

Actually, yes, BUT... IF Dec 2010 was a 24 hour event, instead of 18-20 hours, those 4-6 hours of more snow would have surpassed JAN 1996 in totals.

Actually, yes, BUT... IF Dec 2010 was a 24 hour event, instead of 18-20 hours, those 4-6 hours of more snow would have surpassed JAN 1996 in totals.

which is the difference between the over running and no over running.

The snow in NYC during the 96 storm started around 7am and from 7 to about 1pm was simple ordinary waa over running. Then the storm started to crank and the 3-4 inch an hour banding kicked in IIRC

The 1996 blizzard radar is just so beautiful, i keep watching it over and over. It lasts way longer than any storm we had this year because of the overunning, slow moving, monsterous cutoff low, and a ton of moisture obviously. It will happen again, history repeats itself.

The 1996 blizzard radar is just so beautiful, i keep watching it over and over. It lasts way longer than any storm we had this year because of the overunning, slow moving, monsterous cutoff low, and a ton of moisture obviously. It will happen again, history repeats itself.

yeah, haven't had over running and coastal combo in a while. Hopefully we see the double whammy next winter!

which is the difference between the over running and no over running.

The snow in NYC during the 96 storm started around 7am and from 7 to about 1pm was simple ordinary waa over running. Then the storm started to crank and the 3-4 inch an hour banding kicked in IIRC

Yes and Feb 1983 and PD2 were the same way. This is how the classic HECS get those widespread 20"+ totals in our area. IMO this is why those three storms stand apart and above all the rest.

Yip. Agree 100%.

I might have to revise my position on BECS lol. BECS might not be extremely high snowfall amounts (30 inches plus)-- which, let's face it, maybe happen once a century. Maybe a BECS should be defined as a HECS that covers the whole region west-east north-south so that no one bitches or complains about getting "screwed" (at least no one within a couple hundred miles of the coast lol.)

Agreed. The radar presentation for 1996 is perfection. It brings a tear to my eye everytime I see it. For NYC though 2010 just was more intense over a shorter period of time.

Archived