• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 Tornado Season...

Anyone read this little article yet? http://icecap.us/ima...nado_season.pdf

Interesting read, and like many have said, could get pretty active this season.

Looks like I may FINALLY get some decent severe weather in northern Virginia this spring - including violent EF6 tornadoes right here in Dale City

I'm sick to death of being missed by severe floods and violent severe weather. I want a severe weather outbreak over northern Virginia once every week from March thru June. I want Occoquan flooding to rival Agnes. I missed that flood and want to conduct a jebwalk along the flooding river with a portable digicam while blasting 1970s hits like ELO and the Bee Gees on my iPhone headphones. I crave softball size hail in MBY. I get major hardons from taking pics of fallen trees on fences with my iPhone

I worship severe weather and flooding in spring since I can't have snow

A lot of people (myself included) are on the "big severe wx season" line of thinking. It certainly could be an active year from the Central Plains to the Midwest and maybe even the Mid-Atlantic. The Southeast will likely be active early, but I think activity will drop off as a ridge similar (but weaker) to last year tries to form over the Southeast.

So are we thinking of a fairly quick start this year then, I note we already had a fairly decent (for the time of year) severe event a few days ago which was a very nice little tease and preview of whats to come this season.

Will have to get back into the severe frame of mind, still too stuck in the snow/cold frame at the moment!

This has become a pretty classic looking Nina pattern with a lack of blocking to modify things. I don't mean to minimize what has happened but it's not hard to envision how some of these recent systems would be big trouble a little later in the year. Looks like an active year but about all we can do is try to highlight a region as there can be wild state to state variations.

On another note, Indiana recorded 4 tornadoes in February. January/February tornadoes happened in 15 other years going back to 1950 and 13/15 years were Nina or on the cold side of neutral.

A lot of people (myself included) are on the "big severe wx season" line of thinking. It certainly could be an active year from the Central Plains to the Midwest and maybe even the Mid-Atlantic. The Southeast will likely be active early, but I think activity will drop off as a ridge similar (but weaker) to last year tries to form over the Southeast.

I would be one of those people who is going big this year, especially the Mid to Upper Mississppi Valley, Ohio Valley and Great Lakes regions.

Looks like I may FINALLY get some decent severe weather in northern Virginia this spring - including violent EF6 tornadoes right here in Dale City

I'm sick to death of being missed by severe floods and violent severe weather. I want a severe weather outbreak over northern Virginia once every week from March thru June. I want Occoquan flooding to rival Agnes. I missed that flood and want to conduct a jebwalk along the flooding river with a portable digicam while blasting 1970s hits like ELO and the Bee Gees on my iPhone headphones. I crave softball size hail in MBY. I get major hardons from taking pics of fallen trees on fences with my iPhone

Be careful what you wish for......

Doesn't the scale only go up to EF5? Even the OK 1999 tornado was just an F-5.

Archived