• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Outdoor weather stations.

So I have started my hunt for a quality weather station. Found that La Crosse Technologies makes an abundant amount of wireless weather stations for a home/business. Any thoughts on wireless or solar powered OBS devices. Ive always been under the notion that copper is king. Seems to me that the wireless and battery powered devices spell trouble.

This is an example of the weather station I was looking at. Any thoughts?

http://lacrossetechn.../2811/index.php

I totally agree with TornadoJay. I had a Peet Bros. Ultimeter 100 for 9 years and it worked very well(wired). I bought a piece of junk weather station(wireless) from Honeywell for a hundred bucks and threw it out after awhile(anemometer stopped working-major delays in wireless). I bought the Davis Vantaghe Pro2 in December and love it. I bought the wired version for I think around 319.00 or so from ambientweather as well. Buy it; you will not be unhappy. Rain gauge is a beast.

Davis is awesome, if there is a problem they'll fix it to little cost to you.. I had to replace my whole SIM board (because lightning struck about 60 ft away) about 3 years into the station but I sent it to them and they replaced it and sent it back on their expense, minus the sim board.

One word of advice, get the largest solar panel possible, the sun angle in the winter with a day of clouds can cause the station to power down. The fan aspirated model isn't a bad idea either for those hot, stale summer days.

Let me just add.......Along with the Vantage Pro 2....the Vantage Vue - also from Davis - is a good deal.....

I've had my Vue on-line now for about 6 months......no problems......

Ambientweather, RainmanWeather, or Scientific Sales all offer VERY GOOD prices and service....

Good luck with whatever station you purchase!!!

IF you happen to run into any snags with installation.... check here....there's LOTS of folks who can and will help!!!:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am not trying to derail this too much, but I have a VP2 and I would like to mount my console in my house away from my laptop and router. I have the USB version and I was wondering if anyone had tried this remote locating of the console. Is the USB device server from Silex (P/N SX-2000WG) the right way to go, or is there a cheaper way to make this work?

I would go this route, many people have had great success using this product:

http://wiki.meteohub.de/Introduction

Unless I am misreading, this does not work with Weatherlink. Also, the goal is to have my console located somewhere other than with my computer and that somewhere is also not anywhere near the wireless router. These configurations appear to be designed to connect directly via Ethernet to a router. Am I missing something or is this really not what I am looking for?

Davis is awesome, if there is a problem they'll fix it to little cost to you.. I had to replace my whole SIM board (because lightning struck about 60 ft away) about 3 years into the station but I sent it to them and they replaced it and sent it back on their expense, minus the sim board.

One word of advice, get the largest solar panel possible, the sun angle in the winter with a day of clouds can cause the station to power down. The fan aspirated model isn't a bad idea either for those hot, stale summer days.

If you have the wireless Davis VP 2 I'm not sure why it would power down on cloudy days unless the battery was bad. Mine will give me a warning on the console when the battery is low. I replace it once a year anyway.

I agree that Davis is the way to go for weather stations.

If you have the wireless Davis VP 2 I'm not sure why it would power down on cloudy days unless the battery was bad. Mine will give me a warning on the console when the battery is low. I replace it once a year anyway.

I agree that Davis is the way to go for weather stations.

After 8 years my station batteries only last 6 months.

Unless I am misreading, this does not work with Weatherlink. Also, the goal is to have my console located somewhere other than with my computer and that somewhere is also not anywhere near the wireless router. These configurations appear to be designed to connect directly via Ethernet to a router. Am I missing something or is this really not what I am looking for?

No, you are correct, it needs to be able to connect to the router, sorry.

I don't know of anything that's wireless that you can connect to the console and have it transmit the data.

It sounds like the super cap in the ISS might be bad. The ISS works off the solar panel during the day and it also charges the super cap. When the sun goes down, the super cap supplies the power, once the super cap gets below a certain voltage, the battery takes over. The only thing that ever gets charged is the super cap.

It sounds like the super cap in the ISS might be bad. The ISS works off the solar panel during the day and it also charges the super cap. When the sun goes down, the super cap supplies the power, once the super cap gets below a certain voltage, the battery takes over. The only thing that ever gets charged is the super cap.

Interesting...

I have a spare ISS housing, i may need to swap out the solar panel.

I remember reading on a weather forum I frequent that some were having issues with the coating

peeling on the solar panel, plus they were getting cloudy. That would definitely produce charging issues.

I'm only on my 2nd battery after 6 years.

After 8 years my station batteries only last 6 months.

Yep, mine usually last 9-12 months now. Initially it lasted about two years as stated in the manual. I think it's a combination of age ( 5 years) on the panel and probably the capacitor condition. I checked the solar panel and it still puts out the voltage though. I just deal with it. Mine is within easy reach and I can swap the battery in a couple of minutes.

My solar powered FARS still whirls away too even though they recommend changing out the fan every year.

• 2 months later...

You might be able to accomplish what you want to do with either the Wireless Weather Envoy or (if you plan to add on to your setup with additional Integrated Sensor Suites in the future), the new Wireless Envoy8X. Can't beat the prices at http://www.scientificsales.com/Vantage-Pro2-Accessories-s/2.htm

Archived