• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ten years ago today....the KU/BECS that never was....

IsentropicLift

Yeah, for me I look more at our local area...and March 2001 fell apart in the 9th inning leaving us with nothing, while Dec 26 was basically a 6 run 9th inning comeback with a walkoff win.

I remember posting a weathertap WV satellite imagery on Dec 25 early morning--and somebody quoted it and said "it's like watching a walkoff home run in slow motion".

I had the biggest, dork-like smile on my face.

Awesome storm.

lol yea it was sort of like the spring training game today between the Yankees and the Astros, IF THAT HAD HAPPENED IN THE WORLD SERIES!

A whole lot of Yankee errors early on in the game (it reminds me of model initialization errors ;) ) all erased with a 5 run bottom of the ninth rally and walk off win!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually.... this will piss every Yankee fan here,

but when things were going out to sea, it was going to take a miracle for it come back, relatively speaking,

So I thought of the 2004 Red Sox come back...:devilsmiley:

Historically speaking, big big snowfall winters are linked to Yankee WS wins (well many of them are lol) ;)

1961, 1978, 1996, 2009.........

Actually the correlation is even stronger between Yankee WS wins and a democrat in the White House.

Historically speaking, big big snowfall winters are linked to Yankee WS wins (well many of them are lol) ;)

1961, 1978, 1996, 2009.........

since I was born...

1949-1953...no

1956...yes

1958...yes

1961...yes

1962...no

1977...no

1978...yes

1996...yes

1998...no

1999...no

2000...no

2009...yes

I actually found my March 2001 debacle VHS today. What many fail to realize about that storm was how NWS and media forecasters alike refused to change their forecasts. In fact, late on Saturday night (onset of precip was Sunday AM), NWS forecast for CNJ was still 8-12 inches. Most media outlits took their 12-16 in. forecasts for the NYC metro and dropped it down to 8-12 in. also. I think it was very evident Saturday night that a bust was on hand for the NYC metro and south.

I actually found my March 2001 debacle VHS today. What many fail to realize about that storm was how NWS and media forecasters alike refused to change their forecasts. In fact, late on Saturday night (onset of precip was Sunday AM), NWS forecast for CNJ was still 8-12 inches. Most media outlits took their 12-16 in. forecasts for the NYC metro and dropped it down to 8-12 in. also. I think it was very evident Saturday night that a bust was on hand for the NYC metro and south.

The biggest red flag I remember was the southern cutoff in the heavy precip. So while the ETA was still giving NYC like 15-20" of snow at 60 hours out verbatim, there was a really sharp cutoff south of there and it had been trending north. So only another little bump north would take them out of the huge snows....and it happened, it bumped N and E. So LI still managed to get in on the big deformation band and get 12"+ but there was a sharp cutoff west and southwest.

That was a storm where the trend was more more important than the verbatim model solutions in the 2-3 day time range. But the AVN didn't trend hard until like the final 12-24 hours...and since it had been so good, a lot of forecasters were sticking with it at 2 days out while the Euro and ETA were trending hard to the north.

Archived