• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Yet another snowstorm hits; Feb snow records pile up

Received 4.3" of powder this morning, which brings my February total to 31.3" (season total 58.5"). The snows just keep on coming, and even most snowlovers here are tired of it (not me of course). Officially at Detroit (DTW), with 31.1" on the month so far, its the 2nd snowiest Feb and 3rd snowiest month all-time.

Note, all the snow in these pictures is since Sunday only. Our previous deep winter snowpack was torched away Feb 17-19th.

2734-800.jpg

2735-800.jpg

2736-800.jpg

2737-800.jpg

2738-800.jpg

2739-800.jpg

You've managed to build a nice snowpack with the 14.5" you've had since the torch. For both Detroit metro and my area (NYC metro), this has been an outstanding winter for snowpack with the persistently cold temperatures up in Central Canada filtering down and the -NAO keeping the SE ridge at bay until this month. We're starting to see a more varied storm track with the +NAO pattern we've entered and the tendency for the jet to shift north later in the season, but it still hasn't been all bad for the mid-latitudes. Great photos of the historic winter pattern we're in!

Next week looks ugly though...Here's the GFS at 66:

+10C 850s surge into the Ohio Valley with the mega-cutter. It's trended south some so Traverse City northwards looks to be OK, but you'll take a hit for sure. Storm appears to track near DTW, which isn't a good thing for you.

You've managed to build a nice snowpack with the 14.5" you've had since the torch. For both Detroit metro and my area (NYC metro), this has been an outstanding winter for snowpack with the persistently cold temperatures up in Central Canada filtering down and the -NAO keeping the SE ridge at bay until this month. We're starting to see a more varied storm track with the +NAO pattern we've entered and the tendency for the jet to shift north later in the season, but it still hasn't been all bad for the mid-latitudes. Great photos of the historic winter pattern we're in!

Next week looks ugly though...Here's the GFS at 66:

+10C 850s surge into the Ohio Valley with the mega-cutter. It's trended south some so Traverse City northwards looks to be OK, but you'll take a hit for sure. Storm appears to track near DTW, which isn't a good thing for you.

Socks, do you go into every thread to tell people they're going to torch? Kind of a sadistic streak.

We have had only 6 days since the beginning of December with no snowcover, and I have to remember this is the Detroit area, not the Marquette area. I really cant complain IF the snow is torched away again, although latest runs now have a cold rain Monday here, theyve trended WAY colder (to the tune of mid-upper 30s and rain, not 50 and rain). Which would take our snowpack with its 1.5" water content and solidify it even more. But dont wanna get too excited, wait to see what Monday brings.

Official 1"+ snowcover days in the 2010-11 winter:

NYC (Central Park)

2010-11........56 days so far...bare ground now but certainly can tack on a few more

Season avg....26 days

DTW (Detroit Metro Airport)

2010-11........70 days and counting, currently a very dense 9" on the ground

Season avg....49 days

And the rich get richer! Nice isnt it? :)

Very nice :). At 58.6", I am still behind 2002-03, 2004-05, 2007-08, 2008-09...but still have Mar/Apr to go. Now whether or not I surpass any or all of those in total snowfall is really a moot point. Ive decided that that this is an A+ winter for sure due to these factors:

~Constant snowcover...my whitest winter ever, the whitest since 1981-82 which was before I was born. Only 6 bare days since beginning of December

~Two 10" snowstorms in Feb

~Epic February snowfall

~Thundersnow during THREE separate snowstorms

~Yet another top 20 winter

Also it is interesting how the climo seems to be changing in the Great Lakes. Ill post the official DTW numbers for the last 9 winters:

2002-03: 60.9"

2003-04: 24.1"

2004-05: 63.8"

2005-06: 36.3"

2006-07: 30.3"

2007-08: 71.7"

2008-09: 65.7"

2009-10: 43.7"

2010-11: 58.4" and counting

Climo is 44" for the 30-yr period, 40.5" for the 130-year period. This snowy phenomena is certainly not limited to here either, its happening all over the Great Lakes and New England. If anything fwiw, those numbers in 2003-05 are lowballed per my experience and the measurers at DTW at the time.

You have 131 years of record, and 5 of the top 20 snowiest winters occurred in the last 9 years.

Here's one from the Boston area today. This "weak February" has brought over 18 inches and seasonally as of 1pm today BOS is at 78.8 inches for the season and likely not close to being done. Snow has been on the ground now since a few days before Christmas.

Nice scenic pic. Ive been so busy with work, plus I was sick for 2+ weeks, not to mention with shoveling snow all the time lol, that I havent had enough nature walks, a lot of my snow pics during the deep Feb snows were suburbia shots. Today however I took a long walk in the park, a slate gray day, mid-30s...but it was fine by me. Took nature pics that Ill post later.

And a big wow on 78.8". I knew it was good in NE but not that good in BOS. Whats your current depth and what was your peak this winter? I know interior NE had 3' depths, but I wasnt sure how BOS did and their f6 doesnt have snow depth. Also, will this winter rank near the top for you even if you dont catch your benchmark winter in terms of total snowfall? (See my note below..)

I still have in the neighborhood of 20" to go to catch 2004-05 and 2007-08 in terms of total snowfall, but as I said earlier its a moot point whether I catch them or not. The constant snowcover weve had since the beginning of December with just two brief bare periods (Jan 1-4 & Feb 18-19) is what cements this winter towards the top in my book.

Looks like BOS is winning the snow derby this year among DTW/ORD/BOS...but once again as has been the case for the last several winters....its really just who gets the grand prize, all 3 cities have had a run of awesome winters the past decade. Its actually amazing how much of the Lakes/NE are having so many snowy winters. Climo is changing before our eyes.

DTW

Nov- T

Dec- 9.3"

Jan- 17.9"

Feb- 31.7"

To date 58.9"

ORD

Nov- T

Dec- 16.2"

Jan- 11.1"

Feb- 29.0"

To date 56.3"

BOS

Nov- T

Dec- 22.0"

Jan- 38.3"

Feb- 18.5"

To date 78.8"

Nice scenic pic. Ive been so busy with work, plus I was sick for 2+ weeks, not to mention with shoveling snow all the time lol, that I havent had enough nature walks, a lot of my snow pics during the deep Feb snows were suburbia shots. Today however I took a long walk in the park, a slate gray day, mid-30s...but it was fine by me. Took nature pics that Ill post later.

And a big wow on 78.8". I knew it was good in NE but not that good in BOS. Whats your current depth and what was your peak this winter? I know interior NE had 3' depths, but I wasnt sure how BOS did and their f6 doesnt have snow depth. Also, will this winter rank near the top for you even if you dont catch your benchmark winter in terms of total snowfall? (See my note below..)

I still have in the neighborhood of 20" to go to catch 2004-05 and 2007-08 in terms of total snowfall, but as I said earlier its a moot point whether I catch them or not. The constant snowcover weve had since the beginning of December with just two brief bare periods (Jan 1-4 & Feb 18-19) is what cements this winter towards the top in my book.

Looks like BOS is winning the snow derby this year among DTW/ORD/BOS...but once again as has been the case for the last several winters....its really just who gets the grand prize, all 3 cities have had a run of awesome winters the past decade. Its actually amazing how much of the Lakes/NE are having so many snowy winters. Climo is changing before our eyes.

DTW

Nov- T

Dec- 9.3"

Jan- 17.9"

Feb- 31.7"

To date 58.9"

ORD

Nov- T

Dec- 16.2"

Jan- 11.1"

Feb- 29.0"

To date 56.3"

BOS

Nov- T

Dec- 22.0"

Jan- 38.3"

Feb- 18.5"

To date 78.8"

Yeah BOS doesn't list depth in F6 data and just as well as it's all on the proverbial tarmac at Logan. I was very deep by early Feb and less now but still a robust and deep snowcover...probably a solid 12+ now despite multiple torches. It probably was in the L-M20s at peak. But this current level has not budged much...lots of ice in the pack. DTW/ORD had epic February and BOS had an epic January. Let's all 3 get an epic March!

Depending on March's performance, this one could be right up there. Non stop snow cover, 2 storms of 12+ and 2 more around 10. Those big ones added to the usual nickle and dime stuff make for a great winter. We've been cold....went subzero at BOS this year for the 1st time since 2005. Dec-Feb will average subnormal with all 3 months going below. We'll see about March but it's been tough having it stay warm this winter and that's just fine with me.

Yeah BOS doesn't list depth in F6 data and just as well as it's all on the proverbial tarmac at Logan. I was very deep by early Feb and less now but still a robust and deep snowcover...probably a solid 12+ now despite multiple torches. It probably was in the L-M20s at peak. But this current level has not budged much...lots of ice in the pack. DTW/ORD had epic February and BOS had an epic January. Let's all 3 get an epic March!

Depending on March's performance, this one could be right up there. Non stop snow cover, 2 storms of 12+ and 2 more around 10. Those big ones added to the usual nickle and dime stuff make for a great winter. We've been cold....went subzero at BOS this year for the 1st time since 2005. Dec-Feb will average subnormal with all 3 months going below. We'll see about March but it's been tough having it stay warm this winter and that's just fine with me.

Many major climo sites now have a contract paid observer near the airport so they can measure away from a tarmack or whatever, hopefully BOS does that soon too! Measuring is never easy at airports anywhere, but almost all major climo sites still do snow depth...its just a shame BOS/ORH dont have depth for a winter like the one you guys are having! Doesnt matter to the average joe, but it would be something to look back on years from now (I personally love snowcover data almost as much as snowfall lol, but thats me).

We had an inch of rain soak into our snowpack so Im thinking it has the staying power to inch us closer to the 91-day mark set in 1977-78. 72 days and counting...Saturday could be big rain or big snow or both...we shall see!

Archived