• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Catskill Ski Area Weather

Brn2skifst

I wanted to start this thread for those of us who travel to and from the central Catskill region to ski. I live in central NJ and have a house in Margaretville. I'll post on topic when I'm in the area on what is actually happening and road conditions. Anyone who is in the area that could post also I would appreciate! Thanks

I wanted to start this thread for those of us who travel to and from the central Catskill region to ski. I live in central NJ and have a house in Margaretville. I'll post on topic when I'm in the area on what is actually happening and road conditions. Anyone who is in the area that could post also I would appreciate! Thanks

I live in the hills between Delhi and Stamford and get over to the Roxbury area on occasion and will try to keep this somewhat updated.

Now, no snow on the ground but the cold should be letting the resorts make snow.

The more local, the better. I am at 2000 ft, just above the village in Andes, about 11 miles W of M'ville. The LES flurries began...with some moderate bursts today, but for the most part it's typical: light, persistent, dry and easily blown around. We have a dusting so far up here.

I think it was heavier west of you. Sidney got almost an inch.

http://www.eastmasonvilleweather.com/frontcam.php

I'm really interested in figuring out how much more snow Plattekill gets than the rest of the catskills. By personal experience I'd say P-Kill consistently gets a fresh few inches when Bellayre, Hunter, Windham get nothing. I've always attributed this to P-Kill's location at the western edge of the catskills. It gets tickled with a little lake effect and it presents the first cross barrier in prevailing w/nw flow regimes- allowing it to get the freshest orographic snowfall.

I can't tell you how many times I have watched the LES bands settle into that area and spray them for quite awhile. It is a favored spot and I guess it upslopes against those ranges.

You seem to have two areas that get long duration LES off Lake Ontario -> the classic Tug Hill, Oswego County into the Dacks, and then the NW flow that takes it toward the Western Catskills. Obviously they are much further removed from the lake, but they do well all things considered.

It's a lot harder to get a long duration event in my area ...the Mohawk Valley corridor. Most the time it will sweep through here (maybe we get an inch of two) .. ...then settle right down into that Western Catskills area and set up for the duration.

I would say that Plattekill and Bear Pen range get almost 50 to 100" more than further east. Being the the highest point between the Catskills and the Great Lakes. They also benefit from wrap around moisture.

How did the Western Catskills do today after the frontal passage? Any accumulation in DE County? I am sure there will be flurries/light snow from lake effect, too. I will not be there this weekend to see it.

Just a coating on the grass/decks/cars. Getting the cold here for awhile before any big snows will be nice to dry things out and freeze the remaining water.

IDK about this weekend. I think the 11th was the plan for many. With the forecast looking decent until then I'd say that's reasonable.

Now it looks like they are trying to open this weekend.

http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/snow-report.aspx

http://www.windhammountain.com/mountain/conditions/

Bellayre is already open: http://www.belleayre.com/

and Plattekill is still advertising opening on 12/11: http://www.plattekill.com/winter/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=77

Hunter opened today with great top to bottom skiing. We had about an inch of snow this morning and now the band has come back in a few minutes ago.

Lots of Lake Effect (for this area) the last couple of days. It's been elevation dependent but that should be good for the resorts (especially Platekill). Nice snowmaking weather also so all resorts should be in good shape this weekend, depending on the possible Sunday storm.

I am going up to Andes on Friday...hoping there will be at least 10" at 2,000ft. Though, Flying...you say only 4-5 in Delhi. The one weekend I will be there all month: rain on Sunday...bummer. Oh, well...looking forward to snowshoeing, drinking whiskey and sitting by the fire.

Don't assume rain just yet.

Sure possible that western catskills get a substantial winter storm. Still WAY too far out to make any conclusion and plenty of lows have tracked similar to this forecasted one and delivered heavy upper elevation snow to the Plattekill region....thinking off the top of my head of Thanksgivign 2007

Don't assume rain just yet.

Sure possible that western catskills get a substantial winter storm. Still WAY too far out to make any conclusion and plenty of lows have tracked similar to this forecasted one and delivered heavy upper elevation snow to the Plattekill region....thinking off the top of my head of Thanksgivign 2007

Yes, you are correct. I got way too ahead of myself. I hope it's a big enough storm to keep me from driving back to the City on Monday morning.

Well, I was correct, after all, even though I was jumping the gun. Woke up around 4pm and saw a light glaze, went back to sleep. Now...there are traces of ice on the branches and the pumpkins I never tossed, etc., but it's steady rain...and any of those bits of ice are melting--I can see it as it happens. The snowpack is sticking, but there are holes in it.

Yes, you are correct. I got way too ahead of myself. I hope it's a big enough storm to keep me from driving back to the City on Monday morning.

Archived