• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Damaging wind event Saturday Feb 19th

Damage In Tolland

ORE gusting to 62 and FIT gusting to 58 makes it believable. Those are horrendous locations for wind and a W wind event on CAA is very good for ORH to gust high. There actually wasnt a ton of damage around here though...but not surprising since its winter. If that happened with foliage, that would have been bad.

Yeah that 7:00-9:30am time frame is when it went nuts there. The damage part also had me questioning it because winds over 60 do some pretty good tree damage even in the winter, so you'd think there would be a lot of reports all over the city. But I know KORH is on the hill there, so they are obviously more prone to those wnw winds.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gfs had a pulse of really strong stuff coming through just after 12z...corresponded well with the mixing layer starting to stretch after sun up too

Yeah I remember being nervous for BOS during the morning. It makes sense areas like cntrl and western areas..and down by CT got some good winds.

Yeah that 7:00-9:30am time frame is when it went nuts there. The damage part also had me questioning it because winds over 60 do some pretty good tree damage even in the winter, so you'd think there would be a lot of reports all over the city. But I know KORH is on the hill there, so they are obviously more prone to those wnw winds.

I actually think the deep frozen snow pack helped limit damage. When it gusted near 70mph in Mar 2005...the most damage seemed to be uprooted trees.

I dunno, it also probably matters for duration too. The winds were strong, but they came in that one pulse...the rest were mainly 50mph type stuff. It probably would have been really bad if it happened with foliage or if it had been just a shade stronger.

I'm also not sure if this has anything to do with it or not...but it definitely might...but ever since the ice storm, it seems we haven't had nearly as many limbs down all over the place in a wind event. That event seemingly took out every prone limb/tree that it could and it might take a few years to recover. I don't have any hard proof of it, but its been an anecdotal observation of mine.

I actually think the deep frozen snow pack helped limit damage. When it gusted near 70mph in Mar 2005...the most damage seemed to be uprooted trees.

I dunno, it also probably matters for duration too. The winds were strong, but they came in that one pulse...the rest were mainly 50mph type stuff. It probably would have been really bad if it happened with foliage or if it had been just a shade stronger.

I'm also not sure if this has anything to do with it or not...but it definitely might...but ever since the ice storm, it seems we haven't had nearly as many limbs down all over the place in a wind event. That event seemingly took out every prone limb/tree that it could and it might take a few years to recover. I don't have any hard proof of it, but its been an anecdotal observation of mine.

True, good points.

You might be on to something with the last paragraph. Not only the weaker limbs taken down, but from what I heard, power companies trimmed some more crap away from the wires as well. Of course if a tree falls, it won't matter..but the ice storm may have been nature's way of tree trimming.

A little OT, but part of the problem in the DC area during high winds has to do with those old oaks and maples they have in the area. Residents don't want the utility companies to cut the trees down so as a result, you see all these wires weaving through tree limbs and branches. That's what I've heard, anyways.

True, good points.

You might be on to something with the last paragraph. Not only the weaker limbs taken down, but from what I heard, power companies trimmed some more crap away from the wires as well. Of course if a tree falls, it won't matter..but the ice storm may have been nature's way of tree trimming.

A little OT, but part of the problem in the DC area during high winds has to do with those old oaks and maples they have in the area. Residents don't want the utility companies to cut the trees down so as a result, you see all these wires weaving through tree limbs and branches. That's what I've heard, anyways.

That's what all the tree experts said after the ice storm when people were panicking about the trees looking like they were mutilated.

Archived