• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Predict The Number Of T'Storms You'll See

Powerball

If I recall, the average number of T'Storms Detroit sees is 35 per year.

Given the historic trends of convective activity during a La Nina, I would say Detroit sees an above average number of t'storms. However, I do think majority of these will come through early in the season rather than later.

In any event, I'll say Detroit sees (I'm not counting the Heavy Convective Showers)

Supercells - 1

Squall Lines - 17

MCS - 5

Single Cell - 6

Multi Cell - 8

Heavy Convective Showers (wihtout lightning) - 11

Lake Breeze - 3

Had a pretty banging severe season last year with multiple nice derechos and some really nice warned sups. The one monster training MCS event was nice as well. The only complaint was a lack of frequent garden variety t-storm and long stretches of boring. I don't keep track or know what's normal, but i'm leaning active. Hopefully a lot of nocturnal MCS action.

The only complaint was a lack of frequent garden variety t-storm and long stretches of boring.

Yeah, one of my disappointments with last season too was the completely lack of cold pool/upper level low events, which are my absolute favorite because they produce the best cumulonimbus clouds and it feels like you're in florida with the sunshine, a brief intense downpours, more sunshine, then another brief intense dowmpour. Then it's rinse-wash-repeat between sunrise and sunset.

I think we had one following a decent severe weather event here. We had hit 89*F that day. Unfortunately it came through from the NW during the early afternoon hours so it didn't really get going until it reached SW Ontario/Cleveland. So while I didn't get any thunder I got a nice intense15 minute heavy convective shower (outside a mostly sunny day). Not to mention it happened the day after a decent severe weather event where we lost power, so of course that took the fun out of it all too since I couldn't track it.

I think southern Manitoba is due for an active season. I like the idea of a big southern/central US ridge come summer with the lack of moisture down south. That could help to force the jetstream further north come June and July and give North Dakota/Minnesota/Manitoba a nice season.

IMBY, I think I'll see 15 thunderstorms this year with a good chunk of the MCS variety...

Archived