• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WCBS getting new weather reader

Dark Energy

It's all part of the dumbing down of society. Most Americans would rather remain ignorant than educate themselves w/ vast meteorologial knowledge. All they care about now is getting turned on during the weather report, and what the weather means in terms of their daily schedule. It's a shame, but it's all about ratings these days, which is also why you rarely get the truth in the majority of news stories. You've got to do the research on your own to seek out the real answers.

It's definitely time to fix the gene pool by sterilizing everyone with an IQ under 140 :P

It's true though-- our society has become decadent, much as the Romans did.... it's a natural part of societal (de)evolution. We eat trash food and get fat, we take pills (prescription or otherwise) or drink heavily or smoke for a quick fix, and we don't want to actually find out what's really going on because we're just too lazy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree. IMO NYC is one of the most difficult cities in the country to forecast for, second to probably BOS. Tons of seasonal variability and the rain/snow line is usually nearby in most storms during the winter. Oklahoma City easily takes the cake for tornadoes and severe weather, but what about nor'easters and snow/sleet/freezing rain events around here? Not to mention backdoor fronts, and tropical cyclone threats.

You get the rain/snow line wrong, Manhattan gets 3 inches of slop and people bit$h and moan; You screw up in Oklahoma City, 20 people in a trailer park village are dead.

what they did to Kaity is sad. She's basically on the street reporting but they have her do a remote from some place so it doesnt look as bad. Frank is that old? jesus. I thought he was an eye doctor or something and not a real met? What about gabe pressman, altho not an achor, he's been around forever. Same with that dude Marv from PIX. He has the show on on sunday AM real early. He also went to IRAQ a lot for reports and won awards for his coverage. He's been around forever too.

Frank is an eye dr. And I do believe he is 89 years old. Is he on TV anymore at all?

Good to see John Marshall found a home on WPIX this weekend as a fill in at least. He could easily replace the reader girl they have on the weekends. I hope he can stay on and replace G at some point. G is getting up there. We'll see.

John doesn't have a fraction of the charisma of Mr. G, however.

Not so much

She made her first show recently. And I swear, when I saw her on the Accuwx cable channel, she looked way hotter. Now i see her on HD, not so much. All the reviews say she is nothing but a flake. Shocker! Has no met degree and only has a small course from MS State and yet they call her on air as a MET. WTF. I feel REAL bad for a fellow co-worker of mine (when I was a wx producer at NBC back in the day), John Marshall. He was a good met and he got bounced for this reader at CBS. It just sickens me. He got bounced for D. Davis on NBC too. And she is horrid as well. The NYC market is a joke right now. I even spoke to a former college friend who is in TV in DET and he told me that NYC is STAY AWAY right now b/c the word on the street is that they hire all these bimbos and the talent pool is gone. It seems if you make it in NYC now, it doesn't carry the weight that it used to. Not at all.

I remember when Tex Antoine got fired.

In my day, Dr. Frank was the only real met. Had a BS in met, he was a medical doctor, but Dr. Frank just sounded more authoritative.

In the Houston market, only KHOU-TV11 has degreed mets, all the rest are the MSU 60 hour green screen certificate holders. 60 hour certificate for broadcast communication and journo majors who were lucky to take Algebra II in college. I cringe when local Ken doll Frank Billingsley on KPRC starts talking about clashing air, and my degree is in engineering...

What is his doctorate in? I know he does have a doctorate.

Medicine. He is a medical doctor, he got his met training during the war

Edit-

Wiki

He was a First Lieutenant and meteorologist with the 8th Air Force during World War II in the European Theater. His meteorological training was at Brown University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Field holds a B.A. in geology from Brooklyn College, a B.S. in optometry from Columbia University, and an O.D. degree from the Massachusetts College of Optometry. He was on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Department of Preventive and Environmental Medicine.[citation needed]

Doctor of Optometry....

John doesn't have a fraction of the charisma of Mr. G, however.

lmao. G is a clown who is an english teacher. Yea, he can BS his way thru a weathercast no doubt. It takes years to get to his level. But he isn't very accurate. I've seen G make so many mistakes tho. But he is what he is. Marshall isn't THAT bad, come on. And I looked at the message boards for NYC, and everyone is saying the new reader on CBS that replaced marshall is not cut out for NYC and they want John back. We'll see if she lasts. I guess they don't dig her peg bundy hair. She looks like she is wearing a helmut.

As a physician myself, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Frank Field is NOT a medical doctor. He has an OD degree (Doctor of Optometry). His scope of practice is VERY limited. Sure, he was on the faculty of Einstein, but he ain't no physician.

Medicine. He is a medical doctor, he got his met training during the war

Edit-

Wiki

He was a First Lieutenant and meteorologist with the 8th Air Force during World War II in the European Theater. His meteorological training was at Brown University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Field holds a B.A. in geology from Brooklyn College, a B.S. in optometry from Columbia University, and an O.D. degree from the Massachusetts College of Optometry. He was on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Department of Preventive and Environmental Medicine.[citation needed]

Doctor of Optometry....

lmao. G is a clown who is an english teacher. Yea, he can BS his way thru a weathercast no doubt. It takes years to get to his level. But he isn't very accurate. I've seen G make so many mistakes tho. But he is what he is. Marshall isn't THAT bad, come on. And I looked at the message boards for NYC, and everyone is saying the new reader on CBS that replaced marshall is not cut out for NYC and they want John back. We'll see if she lasts. I guess they don't dig her peg bundy hair. She looks like she is wearing a helmut.

Most of the NYC mets are clueless when it comes to the weather. I suspect a major problem that John has is his agent. I'm sure his agent (likely receiving ~10% of John's earnings) pushes the envelope for salary. The days of the weekend talent in the NYC market making >$200,000 are long over.

Most of the NYC mets are clueless when it comes to the weather. I suspect a major problem that John has is his agent. I'm sure his agent (likely receiving ~10% of John's earnings) pushes the envelope for salary. The days of the weekend talent in the NYC market making >$200,000 are long over.

I'm so glad you said "most mets are clueless in NYC" and not ALL, because I really feel that ABC7 has a very strong team. Lee, to me, is pure class and his delivery leaves you with the feeling that you have confidence in what he is saying. He doesn't use a lot of sleeze lines (stuff to not committ to one side or the other). Jeff Smith is also really good, as is Bill evans. Chris Cimino on NBC is really good too. I feel these mentioned mets are about all that is worth talking about in the city. With so many people in the metro, I wish all the stations had a strong team.

Yea, I agree, of course the days of mets being paid the same are over. I mean, look at how many stations are cutting the older, higher paid employees, (especially the sports dept (Len Berman, Sal Marciano)). I never understood why John just didn't take a pay cut to stay at NBC. I don't know if that was an option or not, but after he left there, it was hit or miss as it is now. I know at NBC, he worked quite a bit. He was doing the wx producing during the week for Janice, then doing on air for the weekend. Only had a day or so off a week in between. Perhaps what you were saying about the agent pushing for higher salary is what the deal is with John. I could see that making sense. They too, need to wake up and know that the news people don't make what they used to. And for that matter, if you look at who they are hiring in the wx depts, it is clearly looks and low pay that are paving the way now.

I'm so glad you said "most mets are clueless in NYC" and not ALL, because I really feel that ABC7 has a very strong team. Lee, to me, is pure class and his delivery leaves you with the feeling that you have confidence in what he is saying. He doesn't use a lot of sleeze lines (stuff to not committ to one side or the other). Jeff Smith is also really good, as is Bill evans. Chris Cimino on NBC is really good too. I feel these mentioned mets are about all that is worth talking about in the city. With so many people in the metro, I wish all the stations had a strong team.

Yea, I agree, of course the days of mets being paid the same are over. I mean, look at how many stations are cutting the older, higher paid employees, (especially the sports dept (Len Berman, Sal Marciano)). I never understood why John just didn't take a pay cut to stay at NBC. I don't know if that was an option or not, but after he left there, it was hit or miss as it is now. I know at NBC, he worked quite a bit. He was doing the wx producing during the week for Janice, then doing on air for the weekend. Only had a day or so off a week in between. Perhaps what you were saying about the agent pushing for higher salary is what the deal is with John. I could see that making sense. They too, need to wake up and know that the news people don't make what they used to. And for that matter, if you look at who they are hiring in the wx depts, it is clearly looks and low pay that are paving the way now.

No Nick Gregory? That guy is awesome. He and Lee Goldberg are my top two for the NYC area.

No Nick Gregory? That guy is awesome. He and Lee Goldberg are my top two for the NYC area.

Nick is ok. I don;'t watch him much b/c I feel that fox 5 is pretty bad overall. I also have a bias twds Nick b/c when I was in college, he came to speak to the met dept one day. One of my professors, who was a good mentor to me, said some of the stuff Nick was saying was pure BS. So, I kind of hold that against Nick. Don't you hate that system that they have on fox where they point to a map and like a cold front drops in? It is never where they want it to appear and seems really odd. Back in the day when i was a wx producer, we had to do those graphix by ourselves and there was no help from some fancy system. Futurecast, as they call it now, has seemingly replaced the old days where you draw in the precip and fronts. Those were the good ole days. I used to have fun with that a lot.

I did forget to mention, Nick's delivery on air is pretty good. He does seem to have a clue what he is talking about. Much like Lee, they both are confident in what they are saying and come across well.

I did forget to mention, Nick's delivery on air is pretty good. He does seem to have a clue what he is talking about. Much like Lee, they both are confident in what they are saying and come across well.

In the early '90's when they put Gregory on the weekends and replaced him with Julie Golden, an outcry developed.

• 3 months later...

Nick is ok. I don;'t watch him much b/c I feel that fox 5 is pretty bad overall. I also have a bias twds Nick b/c when I was in college, he came to speak to the met dept one day. One of my professors, who was a good mentor to me, said some of the stuff Nick was saying was pure BS. So, I kind of hold that against Nick. Don't you hate that system that they have on fox where they point to a map and like a cold front drops in? It is never where they want it to appear and seems really odd. Back in the day when i was a wx producer, we had to do those graphix by ourselves and there was no help from some fancy system. Futurecast, as they call it now, has seemingly replaced the old days where you draw in the precip and fronts. Those were the good ole days. I used to have fun with that a lot.

the graphics they use on fox 5 are horrific.

another thing i hate that has taken over local tv wx is when they spend 2 minutes giving nothing but local temperatures.

instead of saying, "it's within 3 degrees of 75 F everywhere," they give the current temp for 10 different towns.... naming each town as they do so.

ooofah.

btw, i think nick gregory is generally excellent.

the graphics they use on fox 5 are horrific.

another thing i hate that has taken over local tv wx is when they spend 2 minutes giving nothing but local temperatures.

instead of saying, "it's within 3 degrees of 75 F everywhere," they give the current temp for 10 different towns.... naming each town as they do so.

ooofah.

btw, i think nick gregory is generally excellent.

When Nick has to point to the screen to draw a line, it makes me cringe because it rarely works. The reason, I think they mention everyone's temperature, is because everyone wants to know the temperature in their town, thinking their weather is far different than anyone else.

Don't listen to WIP, but I highly doubt it. John Johnson is in that triumvirate that I mentioned with Jensen, Grimsby, and Beutel. That day, the anchors were fired after the 6:00 P.M. newscast and emergency ones were brought in for the 11:00 P.M. newscast. In fact the anchors at the other stations for the 11:00 P.M. newscast that night (especially Len Berman) were clearly visibly shaken. That night really changed news and how it was presented in NYC and maybe the nation.

Why the reason for the change? Guess what, that's around the time I stopped watching the news lol. It's all regurgitated trash anyway and we have a much better resource for a wide variety of news right here :) Soon enough those news shows will be obsolete anyway.

Why the reason for the change? Guess what, that's around the time I stopped watching the news lol. It's all regurgitated trash anyway and we have a much better resource for a wide variety of news right here :) Soon enough those news shows will be obsolete anyway.

Ratings.

Archived