Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Future Winter Storm Warning?

pondo1000

Future Winter Storm Warning?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Will Central Ohio see a WSW for Snow (already had one for ice) the remainder of this winter season?

looks like we have about 2 weeks of relatively mild boring wx ahead here. That puts us into the end of Feb. Never write off columbus for a late winter, early spring snowstorm. Our 3 biggest 24 hour snow events on record all occurred after mid Feb. (PDII, March'08, and April '87). Climo favors a late season big one around here...unfortunately.

looks like we have about 2 weeks of relatively mild boring wx ahead here. That puts us into the end of Feb. Never write off columbus for a late winter, early spring snowstorm. Our 3 biggest 24 hour snow events on record all occurred after mid Feb. (PDII, March'08, and April '87). Climo favors a late season big one around here...unfortunately.

No doubt buck. I really hate late season snowstorms. If they happen during the day the high sun angle kills 'em and if they happen at night I miss watching b/c I'm sleeping. I am ready to put this winter to bed. I talked about a grade for this winter in another thread. I am at a C-. What do you give it?

Well I do agree on a very boring 1-2 weeks. I think were going to spike to the 60's late next week and something tells me a big storm will form setting up another blizzard in the plains region while we stand the chance of "Severe Weather" then the cold comes back. I am note sure of the day range but when the big storm takes shape that the sign the cold is coming back for a time. I think we may be seeing our last single digits of the season this week and low 20's for highs. So what I mean by cold is upper 20's possibly to low 40's. Relative to average is what folks need to remember. This again this all could set the stage for a late season Ohio Valley snow storm in March probably. I myself have not had a 5+ snowfall this winter and we have nickled and dimed our way to my 29 inch prediction. Last winter was much better then this current winter evenough this winter has been colder relative to average. This time last year we were getting hammered from back to back to back snowstorms. That is something that sets apart last winter from this winter.

Well I do agree on a very boring 1-2 weeks. I think were going to spike to the 60's late next week and something tells me a big storm will form setting up another blizzard in the plains region while we stand the chance of "Severe Weather" then the cold comes back. I am note sure of the day range but when the big storm takes shape that the sign the cold is coming back for a time. I think we may be seeing our last single digits of the season this week and low 20's for highs. So what I mean by cold is upper 20's possibly to low 40's. Relative to average is what folks need to remember. This again this all could set the stage for a late season Ohio Valley snow storm in March probably. I myself have not had a 5+ snowfall this winter and we have nickled and dimed our way to my 29 inch prediction. Last winter was much better then this current winter evenough this winter has been colder relative to average. This time last year we were getting hammered from back to back to back snowstorms. That is something that sets apart last winter from this winter.

This winter has sucked for central OH. Period. Worst winter I can ever recall. We had cold nearly all of the winter and never have gotten an event over 4" I even have trouble buying that CMH seen 24 or 25" I know there is no way we seen that much as you head east. We had two storms with 3" and one with 4" and a couple 1" events. But no where near enough to put us at 24 or 25 inches. If I had to guess I'd say Ive seen 15 or 16" for the season.

This winter has sucked for central OH. Period. Worst winter I can ever recall. We had cold nearly all of the winter and never have gotten an event over 4" I even have trouble buying that CMH seen 24 or 25" I know there is no way we seen that much as you head east. We had two storms with 3" and one with 4" and a couple 1" events. But no where near enough to put us at 24 or 25 inches. If I had to guess I'd say Ive seen 15 or 16" for the season.

Yeah, I can't stand watching the news and the weather coming on and them saying how much snow we have seen! Drives me nuts!

Right now, there are not many (17) who think we will see a WSW for snow the remainder if winter. We shall see.

No doubt buck. I really hate late season snowstorms. If they happen during the day the high sun angle kills 'em and if they happen at night I miss watching b/c I'm sleeping. I am ready to put this winter to bed. I talked about a grade for this winter in another thread. I am at a C-. What do you give it?

the only high grade i would give our winter would be in the categories of sustained cold and snowcover. Granted the depth of snow was rarely over 4" and probably closer to 2" but none the less, our grass remained completely covered for a very impressive duration.

Where I give it a D is big storms. Other than the icestorm, we had nothing other than light to mod events. Even the icestorm was derailed from being as memorable as it would have since the temp spiked at the end of the event and allowed for a great deal of meltoff before the high winds kicked in.

Early on the block shafted us by sending everything around us to the west. What did manage to make it here had no support and was weakened by confluence. Once the block broke and the pattern changed we ended up with storms staying too far south and east and eventually cutting to our west (chicago blizzard).

We've basically nickled and dimed our way thru a relentlessly cold winter to almost normal or slightly above normal snowfall. Although, as Dilly mentioned, when you're recording your snowfall in clips of .5" or 1.4" , it doesn't seem like much in the end.

This was not CMH's winter. That happens. We had a great run last winter and did better then most of the other people in our region. Next winter will probably be much better, especially if we are in a weaker LaNina...those tend to be nice winters for the OV.

the only high grade i would give our winter would be in the categories of sustained cold and snowcover. Granted the depth of snow was rarely over 4" and probably closer to 2" but none the less, our grass remained completely covered for a very impressive duration.

Where I give it a D is big storms. Other than the icestorm, we had nothing other than light to mod events. Even the icestorm was derailed from being as memorable as it would have since the temp spiked at the end of the event and allowed for a great deal of meltoff before the high winds kicked in.

Early on the block shafted us by sending everything around us to the west. What did manage to make it here had no support and was weakened by confluence. Once the block broke and the pattern changed we ended up with storms staying too far south and east and eventually cutting to our west (chicago blizzard).

We've basically nickled and dimed our way thru a relentlessly cold winter to almost normal or slightly above normal snowfall. Although, as Dilly mentioned, when you're recording your snowfall in clips of .5" or 1.4" , it doesn't seem like much in the end.

This was not CMH's winter. That happens. We had a great run last winter and did better then most of the other people in our region. Next winter will probably be much better, especially if we are in a weaker LaNina...those tend to be nice winters for the OV.

Hey Buck! How is JB"s "Phantom Storm" going? It;s BRUTAL here!!!!!! :lmao:

That is the perfect summary of this winter in OH. Every local NWS should put this in their summary of Winter '10/'11.

it makes me sick seeing that weakening blob come out of the southern plains. Just reminds us all of what 'could have been'. ugh.

Yeah its been painful week to say the least! Saturday- WE get screwed to the west

Monday- We get screwed to the East....

Today- We get it to the south :lol:

Can we go for all four directions?? North?

Wasn't for the blizzard ( which did kinda shaft here compared to areas just nw/west of here ) this puppy would be at the bottom of the list right behind 06-07 which ha NO snowfall warning criteria events. Seems like nearly everything has passed between here and there ( CMH ) with the exception of the blizz and the Dec crapfest. Yes snowcover/cold is good but last winter had that ( gonna be hard to top unless this snow can hang out till second week of March like last year ) and was above normal thanks to the epic Feb and a decent Dec. Ofcourse this is probably not over with yet either so still a chance it could make a comeback.

I'll narrow it down as it gets closer but need to see when the warm up is going to break down. Right now the next 16 days the GFS and other models hint at warm relative to average.

Im just glad something is showing up in my time range. And its very close. Just gotta work on the bolded one ;)

THU 12Z 24-FEB -3.2 -1.3 1029 73 20 0.00 565 541

FRI 00Z 25-FEB -1.4 -0.7 1024 93 95 0.31 564 545

FRI 12Z 25-FEB 0.2 6.8 1004 99 97 1.05 557 553

SAT 00Z 26-FEB 1.3 -4.3 999 97 86 0.26 534 536

SAT 12Z 26-FEB -3.2 -6.9 1009 97 42 0.05 539 532

SUN 00Z 27-FEB -0.1 -6.8 1015 93 41 0.02 544 532

SUN 12Z 27-FEB -3.1 -2.5 1019 99 34 0.01 551 536

Archived